Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Firefighter Self-Recue Technique - Hose Ascension?

I have been thinking recently about a possible application of traditional, prussic-based rope ascension technique in the event of a floor collapse landing a ff in the basement. What-if, assuming the charged line follows the ff into the basement, the ff tied two prussic-hitches using rescue webbing around the hose, one for a foot-loop, the other to be attatched to the ff's rescue or SCBA harness. Wouldn't this be an effective method for an uninjured ff to self-rescue from the basement? I have not been able to find any eveidence of this method being used, nor have I yet tested it. I'm sure it would need some fine tuning, but I think it could work. One drawback I have already foreseen is the nature of gravity causing the ff to "droop" under the hose; also, I have some concerns about the weight-bearing capacity of fire hose, especially when pressurized. Any thoughts?

Forum Member

I can't say for sure on your theory, however I can say that a charged hose can carry at least a 225lb FF. We did rescue training simulating a FF falling through the floor. 2 FF on the level above fed a loop of the hose down the hole. So the nozzle was on one side of the hole, and the rest of the line on the other. This created a "U" shape of the hose going throught the hole. The fallen firefighter would stand on the bottom of the U, cross his arms holding the 2 sides, and could be pulled up. So the hose can handle it.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool The Nance Drill.....

The Drill you're talking about is now locally here as the "Nance Drill" named after I believe an Engineer that fell through the floor on a FS and passed-away.

How we performed the rescue is by (2) ways: 1) The FF is injured but can hold onto the hose; the injured FF leans-over the hose and holds behind their knees while the other FFs pull both ends of the charged line away from each other. We found that boosting the EP (Engine Pressure) in the hose helps to lift the injured FF by pressurizing the hose and making it more rigid. 2) The FF is injured and unconscious; lower (2) FFs (1 at a time) using 1/2" life line. Using a "Handcuff Knot" works well for lowering the FFs as well as for the unconscious FF. Thinking about it, if you wanted to you could use your prussics to secure the upper part of the FF to the rope and use the Handcuff Knot for the lower portion of the FF. When we did it, if memory serves me correct we used the Handcuff Knot for the lower part, hitches in the line attached to the BA and then a Clove Hitch (around the wrists) or webbing attached to the Haul Line to help control the arms. The FFs on the upper level pull the Haul Line and make the "grab."

Research the techniques and train, train, train..... Hope this helps.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thread Information