MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up T-Rex for purchase... 2 years later...

Eh guys. Been off the forums for awhile-

The company is going to be purchasing a new T-Rex- basically Rosenbauer's answer to the Bronto. I had started a thread up about it before I left the forums- and at that time the T-Rex only existed on paper. Now a few of the rigs have ended up in the immediate area but I'm not sure if they've gained widespread popularity abroad... Anyone have these rigs in service? Anything we should know before we get started?

I have been flipping through the spec binder on the truck and thought I'd use it as motivation to get my head back into the particulars of apparatus design. The forums are always a great place to see what's up.

Looking forward to any questions on the truck or input!
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Forum Member

I'm not quite sure entirely of what you're asking here... but I'll take a stab. While I don't have one, I have been around several of them. They are quite impressive, and capable machines. I guess my first line of thought it, assess your needs. What exactly is your intended purpose for getting an aerial like this? Will it adequately reach the areas you need it to reach... with the proper number of guys in the basket... while flowing water... in your climate... with any specialty equipment attached to it (breathing air, lighting, hose, etc.).

Of course budget is always a factor, but maybe get some references to some departments that have one and ask to talk to them about it. See what their cost was, and how it was equipped. Those who have one in their stall are going to be your best friend with such a specialized truck.
    TruckCommittee.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah it was kind of an ambiguous, all encompassing address moreso than an actual question or statement. We went through something of an evaluation process a couple years ago and unfortunately the money dried up. I was involved in the original competition and essentially responsible for determining what was the better platform between the Bronto and the T-Rex. At the time I was in a pinch because the Bronto existed and the T-Rex was just on paper.

My conclusion on the evaluation was that the Bronto from the roof up to the top of the boom / platform was superior, and the T-Rex was superior from the ground up to the roof. Functionally, we need an industrial version of either truck. The Bronto was limited by a crosslay high-vol bed, a cramped tranny that was restricted to one less gear and was VERY overweight on the front axles with the industrial foam pump that it included. It did, however, have the extended reach of a 118 foot Bronto boom- which was built to a slightly higher standard in terms of materials and had a more robust chain drive extension / retraction system. The T-Rex didn't suffer any of those chasis / cab limitations- but didn't have the reach offered by the Indy Bronto. Reach adds versatility in many cases- as well as distance.

So now the T-Rex exists and I just wanted to get some overall feedback on its use... some teething problems folks experienced putting the truck in service... some challenges during construction perhaps? Any neat features modded into the design... That sort of thing.

Also, maybe just impressions- similar to what you offered!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Eno305; 12-23-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Forum Member

The T-Rex is now being sold as 114'.

As far as the Bronto being more robust with the chain drive. I can't say that I would completely buy into that. With the double cable drive on the Rex, I can say it is truly one of the smoothest (and quickest) aerials I've ever been able to take a ride in.

I think the biggest difference between the Bronto and the Rex is the electronic controls. The controls are really what seem to make the aerial what it is and what the Bronto isn't. The controls are what seem to give the Rex its speed and smoothness. The controls also have some neat features like the Target Control System which takes the aerial from point A to point B over and over following the same path every time. This could potentially shave minutes off the time it takes to perform multiple rescues from the same point on a building. Also, the impact protection built around the platform that senses obstacles and prevents you from running into them is quite useful. In the heat of the moment, there is a lot for the operator to be aware of and this system will alert you and then stop you before you run the platform into the building. You can then override the sensors and slowly inch in towards your target.

I agree with the previous post. Find someone that has one and have them take you flying. I've had the opportunity to fly both and I've made up my mind which one is better. However, you need to make that decision for yourself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Awesome feedback and thank you. By the Bronto being more robust I was refering more to the safety factor they claim of 14:1 vs the 8:1 safety factor of the Rex. I have no doubt that the Rex is smoother- at the time and even now safety is the Bingo Buzzword so it was worth mentioning.

I have talked to some folks who have "flown" the Rex and I haven't heard anything but praise. I had heard that some of the earlier problems involved water / moisture leaking into the control bus and causing problems but that was quickly remedied... I haven't heard much since. The point and shoot capabilities of the Rex control system was definitely a benefit.

I noticed that they have subsequently modified the reach allowance on the platform- I saw it in the spec sheet as well- but I think the boom itself is still 104' long. I suspect they're including the height between the ground and where the boom actually starts. I admit with some embarassment that I'm not sure if that's how ALL aerial vehicles are measured or if it's usually just the stick / boom itself?
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Forum Member

When determining lengths, I'm pretty sure all manufactures measure from the ground to the tip of the aerial. Maybe someone else here could clarify.

As for the T-Rex, they have increased the extension capability so it is a true 114' aerial.

Where did you find that information on the safety factors? I believe the required NFPA safety factor is 2:1 so I'm a little surprised to see numbers that high.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

You're right- the structural members of the "aerial device" have a 2:1 safety rating (Yes, I had to look it up ) . The safety element they were talking about specifically were the cables versus the chains.

I also took a moment to glance over at the aerial height rating- apparently from the ground to the highest handrail when the device is fully extended. According to the NFPA...

Thanks for the clarification... been out of the game more or less since the program flopped so it's good to get a refresher.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Thread Information