Thread: Blood money

Forum Member

Default Blood money

Brothers and Sisters. There is a company called Phoenix Graphics online that is already selling Chicago Fire Dept. "memorial" decals on e-bay. They are not authorized to bilk you the good hearted and good intentioned firefighter out of $4,25....NONE of which goes to anyone or anything except their own blood sucking opportunistic wallets. DON'T ENABLE THEM.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Brothers and Sisters. There is a company called Phoenix Graphics online that is already selling Chicago Fire Dept. "memorial" decals on e-bay. They are not authorized to bilk you the good hearted and good intentioned firefighter out of $4,25....NONE of which goes to anyone or anything except their own blood sucking opportunistic wallets. DON'T ENABLE THEM.
    Thanks for the heads up MIKEY. It's repulsive that someone would see this tragedy and immediately come up with away to profit from it. I'm certain that any one of us who purchase memorial stickers and shirts want the monies to be used directly for the good of the Brother's families.

Forum Member

It does say in the description:

"All proceeds from the sale of these decals are being donated to the fallen firefighters families via Chigago Fire Dept."

Seeing as they have only been on sale for a day, how can you tell they will not be doing what they say? Because if they do follow through, then buying the decals will help the families. Although i prefer to just send a check right to the fund when it gets setup, but you know some people will like to buy stickers.

I guess only time will tell. But i am curious to know if Phoenix does follow through and send a check for all the profits. An easy way to tell is they do say "All Proceeds" will go to Chicago, so at the end of the auction, read how many they sold and it will not be too hard to figure it out.

Forum Member
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Local 2 and the AFFI (Associated Firefighters of Illinois ) are urging all persons NOT to buy these decals.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

What do you want to bet they also do t-shirts?
    IAFF

Forum Member

This is really low. The only saving grace is that with todays lightning communication, they can be called out quickly.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

IMHO, none of the damn memorial stickers and tee shirts are worth buying. If you want to support fallen firefighters, donate directly to funds established for their families. Who needs a cheesy sticker or tee shirt? Donate the full amount and cut out the middle man. Put all of the money where it does some good; not just the money left over.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 12-24-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typo
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    IMHO, none of the damn memorial stickers and tee shirts are worth buying. If you want to support fallen firefighters, donate directly to funds estanblished for their families. Who needs a cheesy sticker or tee shirt? Donate the full amount and cut out the middle man. Put all of the money where it does some good; not just the money left over.
    On the flip side though, if it wasn't for t-shirts and decals that firefighters wear and put on their helmets and cars then how many more Americans would forget things like 9/11, Worcester, Chicago 12/22/10, etc.? If it weren't for t-shirts and decals those events would be all but forgotten, I mean comeon, look at how many people have forgotten about 9/11 already. I have people ask me about my Worcester 6 patch on my duty shirt all the time. Nothing wrong keeping the memory of our brothers alive, it's just that there is a time and a place for it and also a correct way of doing it. And if these folks are pocketing proceeds from it, then they'll have their day of judgement. Just be sure to buy from reputable folks. Right now, selling all of this stuff is really inappropriate, as mikey said. When Chicago verifies vendors, use them. But by all means, keep the memory alive.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    IMHO, none of the damn memorial stickers and tee shirts are worth buying. If you want to support fallen firefighters, donate directly to funds estanblished for their families. Who needs a cheesy sticker or tee shirt? Donate the full amount and cut out the middle man. Put all of the money where it does some good; not just the money left over.
    You are entitled to your opinion... I do know that proceeds of the W6 T-shirts and stickers went to the fund for the families. The proceeds from the sales Vendome Memorial shirts went to maintaining that memorial, and I have a Buffalo's Bravest and Charleston 9 "Band of Brothers"shirts. Those were sold by the Buffalo and Charleston firefighters.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

On a slightly related note:
    Another website, fire fighter nation dot com; had a video/audio recording of the Mayday given in Chicago posted not even 5 hours after the event!
    I posted on there that it should be removed. Went back to the website today and that comment was removed yet the video remains?!

The video was posted by their own FFN Webteam and I even sent a PM to them urging the removal. Way too soon and completely inappropriate.

Totally disgusted.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 12-24-2010 at 01:24 AM.

Forum Member

I am not against memorial, shirts, stickers etc. This company is selling stuff that was not autorized by any family, fire department or union local. This is not for them to sell.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I understand what your saying Mikey, but lets not go overboard. The company is donating ALL funds to the CFD. http://www.phoenixgraphicsonline.com...ndex&cPath=313 Your Union may not like it, because someone beat them to it. But there is nothing wrong with a company making a memorial sticker, and donating all the proceeds voluntarily to CFD.

Out of curiosity, how many 9-11 products were authorized by FDNY, its Union, or the families. Probably not many. How many donated all the proceeds to the 9-11 fund??? A few, but not all of them. It is Blood Money when you make a profit off someone elses misfortune.

Don't get me wrong either. I do agree it is very inappropriate to make them available as fast as they did. They should have waited until the burial ceremonies were done. If, even then.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I'm not going to be disagreeable with you Mech, but you are way out of line thinking the union is somehow upset that someone "beat" them to it. It is called having a little respect and finding out what the wishes of the families are AND putting up some sort of guarantee that what they say is true.....the sticker is $1.99 on there site and $4.25 on e-bay. So I am dubious about it. Merry Christmas. Hold your loved ones tight.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

my 2 cents --if the family or the Fire Company did not start it DON'T BUY IT. 9/11 to many skells made money off my DEAD BROTHERS.

DON'T BUY IT
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

the sticker is $1.99 on there site and $4.25 on e-bay. So I am dubious about it.
    Actually, the $1.99 sticker on the site is a 2x2 decal. The 4x4 that is being sold on ebay is $3.99 on the website.

Out of curiosity, has anyone bothered to contact this company to hold their feet to the fire in regards to their promised donation? If they hold up to what they say they're going to do (give all proceeds of the sales to the families), and they aren't breaking any laws in doing it, it sounds like they're doing an admirable thing for the families.

Forum Member

Arrangements for FF Edward J. Stringer are as follows:

Monday, December 27, 2010 (3A) (EMS 2)
    Blake Lamb Funeral Home
    4727 W. 103rd St.
    Oak Lawn, IL

Visitation: 3:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Funeral:
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 (1A)(EMS 2)
    10:00 a.m. (Tentative)
    St. Rita of Cascia Chapel
    7740 S. Western
    Chicago, IL

Cemetery: Pending

Arrangements for FF/EMT Corey D. Ankum -PENDING

A memorial fund has been set up for the Ankum Family at Chase Bank. You can call any Chase Bank and tell them you would like to make a donation to this fund. Tell them it is a business fund under FF Corey Ankum Memorial Fund.

Hotel Information: Room blocks have been held at the following hotels for the week of 12/27 through 12/31

Hyatt Regency Chicago
    151 East Wacker
    $89 a night rate plus tax - block is under “Firefighters Union”
    (312)565-1234 – mention block

Fairmont
    200 North Columbus
    $119 a night plus tax with free parking – block is under “Fire”
    1-800 526-2008 - mention block
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default Thank-you

Items have been removed from their site. Thanks to all who called, e-mailed etc. the company.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Items have been removed from their site. Thanks to all who called, e-mailed etc. the company.
    GTG brother. Hey, keep us updated though when something that is approved comes out. I would like to at least have a helmet decal, I plan on making a donation anyway, but I'd like to show my support as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Actually, the $1.99 sticker on the site is a 2x2 decal. The 4x4 that is being sold on ebay is $3.99 on the website.

Likley to offset the cost of listing items on Ebay as well as the commision cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Out of curiosity, has anyone bothered to contact this company to hold their feet to the fire in regards to their promised donation?

I did and heard nothing back.

Forum Member
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

A WORD ABOUT LEGIT VS BOGUS FALLEN FIREFIGHTER FUNDRAISERS:
    This note is especially directed at our younger Secret List members who may be relatively new to the fire service, but of note to all.

As you will see below, a "business" was selling Chicago FD memorial decals with no connection or benefit to the surviving families, IAFF Local 2 or the CFD. Legit fundraiser's will certainly be conducted soon, but keep your eyes out for sales like these, taking advantage of the deaths of the two Chicago FF's lost this week. Word is they have stopped the sales. Smart move.
    Legit FF LODD fundraiser's have clear indications of who is running it, who it benefits and will typically have the FD and/or IAFF Local endorsement-with contact names, phone numbers etc.

We would suggest, again, to keep an eye on CFD Local 2's website (shown above) for any information related to fundraising sales and efforts to benefit the families of FF's Stringer and Ankum.

HERE is the original information as sent to us:
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/124715
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

On this subject, while the Unions and others are up in arms over this company selling these stickers. The reason seems to be because they claim they have not authorized by anybody to sell these and their is no guarantee the familes will see the money. Well, my question is, seeing as they have only been on sale less then a week, how an anyone say this company (Phoenix) will not in fact keep to their word and ultimatley send a check for all proceeds from these sticker sales? The auction lists how many stickers are being sold so it would be very easy to keep track of it. They never said they would be mailing a check out daily or even weekly.

I just think it's a bit odd that a company is being branded as dishonest and trying to cash in on a tradgedy when nobody has any proof they are being dishonest in any way. Nowhere in the auction does it say these stickers are authorized by anybody. Yet they are being accused of being dishonest? I don't get it.

While Phoenix may in fact be pocketing money from these sales which is wrong, they could also be totally honest and have every intention of sending every penny they promised and boycotting these stickers is taking money away from the families. Nobody knows for certain. So why pass judgement?. I can understand not buying them because you are not sure where the money is going. But the only argument being that the Union cannot verify it seems a bit silly. Are we supposed to believe that ANYTHING a Union backs is 100% perfect? Everyone is a dishonest cheat unless the Union tells you otherwise?.

Their are Charleston and Worcester memorial stickers sold by Powercall Sirens with the claim that a portion goes to the familes. Where is the proof that is happening? Why are people not comlaining about that?

And when exactly has enough time passed that a memorial T-Shirt and Sticker sale is OK? That seemed a bit odd as well. These familes could use money RIGHT NOW. So why not get started? I personaly do not see what waiting a few weeks accomplishes. I for one will still be upset about thier deaths in a month like i am now. But i would like to help them NOW.

Does anybody have links to the funds setup for these two FF's where i can donate?

Forum Member

WD6956, The reason you should be skeptical is because they apparently have not talked to Local 2 or anyone about selling these stickers. Its not hard to inform the union or family, "hey we're selling memorial stuff. We make $X off every sale, we'll be sending you all the proceeds). If they had done that, I doubt the union would be saying not to buy from them.

Personally, if I don't see the link on the union's website, I won't buy a memorial sticker/t-shirt.

http://www.iaff-local2.org/index.cfm?section=1 go here for information about memorial funds.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

this company is promoting itself by using our dead BROTHERS. (look at the ebay ad)

why did they run out and do this so quick?

why didn't they contact the fire department and or companies?

again if it doesn't come from the families or fire company DON'T BUY IT.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40