Thread: Questions!!!

Forum Member

Talking Questions!!!

So I am 16 and I live in Ohio. I really want to become a firefighter and all.
    I plan on going to University of Cincinnati when I graduate high school.
    I plan on doing a 4 year degree in Fire Science.
    What else should I do to prepare for the career future?

MembersZone Subscriber

Stay fit and healthy.

Get your EMS certs - sometimes you can do that as an elective. Some colleges have in-house squads. Get involved.

Consider volunteering with an area VFD if possible. Bunk-in programs exist in many areas.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Get your medic card, as far as I know Cleveland is the only full time FD in this state that doesn't require you to be a medic. Also get on a department part time/voulnteer and start getting experiance (when you are 18 of course).

Forum Member

Take an English class. There, you will learn to not begin a sentence with a coordinating conjunction.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Stay fit and healthy.

Get your EMS certs - sometimes you can do that as an elective. Some colleges have in-house squads. Get involved.

Consider volunteering with an area VFD if possible. Bunk-in programs exist in many areas.
    All great advice. Also, look into any other classes offered on training that could be used in the fire service. Rope rescue, Haz Mat, etc. The more skills you have on your resume that are benificial to a fire department job shows that you are motivated and committed to the line of work.

Another sure fire way to get your foot in the door is joining the military, even on a reserve enlistment. You will get in shape and learn discipline and it will be a major plus on your resume. If you end up getting veteran status, that will help even more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BillST View Post
    Get your medic card, as far as I know Cleveland is the only full time FD in this state that doesn't require you to be a medic. Also get on a department part time/voulnteer and start getting experiance (when you are 18 of course).
    And rumor has it that's going to change soon too...

Around here (NE Ohio) most places are now requiring you have FFII and Medic just to sit for a test. Military experience is also going to help you get hired up here more then a degree is. I'm not knocking the degree AT ALL, but up here those extra credit points for military can make or break you.
    Andy

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ETFD16 View Post
    And rumor has it that's going to change soon too...

Around here (NE Ohio) most places are now requiring you have FFII and Medic just to sit for a test. Military experience is also going to help you get hired up here more then a degree is. I'm not knocking the degree AT ALL, but up here those extra credit points for military can make or break you.
    I have noticed some places in NE Ohio offer the same or a point less extra credit for a 4-year degree. But you are right military experiance is huge.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by askderek19 View Post
    So I am 16 and I live in Ohio. I really want to become a firefighter and all.
    I plan on going to University of Cincinnati when I graduate high school.
    I plan on doing a 4 year degree in Fire Science.
    What else should I do to prepare for the career future?
    yeah, get a degree in something useful! Don't need the fire science degree for this job. Thats what I did and it was a waste. Wish I had done nursing or psychology to do something on the side or when I retire. learn a trade like plumbing or electrician. Fire science degree isn't worth it. It doesn't help you get the job any easier and only helps a little bit knowledgewise when you do get on a department. Experience is the only way to learn this job. Good luck to you though. You can PM me if you got anymore questions considering this was the route I went.

Forum Member

hey if you really want to become a fire fighter, take as many classes in college you can...im sure you know that...then take as many certificate classes as much as possible...thats what i plan on doing

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Take an English class. There, you will learn to not begin a sentence with a coordinating conjunction.
    FANBOYS. English is a lost art. You might ask, who is Art?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    And what's wrong with that?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    And what's wrong with that?
    You had me at and.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

my word of advice, and its something i live by every day, and has helped me get to where i am today is
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Fresh out of high school, get a degree in something other than fire science. Once you have a degree under your belt, start applying at departments. Having a degree in something other than fire science gives you some options while you are in the process for the fire department. Not to mention how easy it is to get your fire science degrees after you are already employed.

Just my advice, and what I would do if I had it to do over again.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information