MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    There was a tower, that wasn't listed on that site (unless I missed it).

Succasunna, NJ.

Rumored to have an underground facility under it... I believe the facility is now owned by some document storage company that does some archiving for the gov'ment.

Any knowledge of it?
    Would that not be the Netcong tower, middle of veterans park, end of Patricia Drive that I mentioned above?

According to Google maps it is less than two miles west from the center of Succasunna, NJ. It was the heart of the Long Lines system for AT&T.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    I remember two towers there when I was a kid - but I have no idea what the other one was.

Dad worked at the Proving Grounds.
    Broadcast and rental. There are two now, both just a bit to the east of the AT&T one.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Would that not be the Netcong tower, middle of veterans park, end of Patricia Drive that I mentioned above?

According to Google maps it is less than two miles west from the center of Succasunna, NJ. It was the heart of the Long Lines system for AT&T.
    Dang, missed your other post! That's the one...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Broadcast and rental. There are two now, both just a bit to the east of the AT&T one.
    The second one of which I speak is gone - it was as substantial as the AT&T tower. I don't get back that way often, so have no idea when it came down.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KelleeR View Post
    strongman/powerlifter/highland games participant.
    How'd your CPAT go on the 7th?

Good luck in AZ.

I dated an all-American discuss thrower at the small College where I was 3rd string linebacker and captain of the Red-dog team some, well, few years ago. Though I did set the school's deadlift record in the 175lb weight class during preseason training my freshman year (which was a little unusual) - alas, Black-smith's upper body with short legs doth not Mr. Speedy render. Sometimes certain limitations just are. Should'a been a hockey player maybe. Still a lot of fun - given that nobody's life was depending on it...

And my friend? All-american or not, God bless her, though I admired her and her accomplishments dearly - I doubt she could've drug the 193 pounds I eventually grew into, out of a fire.

Sometimes certain limitations just are.

But - prove me wrong, I dare ya.

It'd be fun to see you destroy a certain record, regardless.

See you at the gym.
    Last edited by wm25burke; 01-20-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Forum Member

Fair to middling. I'd only been stepmilling for about 6 weeks beforehand, and only doing the stepmill with weight for about 4 weeks. My training for the past 2-3 years has not had a lot of cardio in it, strongman is what it is. Soooo, at altitude, I got a whopping 2:20 before I had to get off the stepmill, or fall down. I wasn't upset, it was just an expensive practice test. So, onward and upward. Still training diligently for the 2/5 test in Phoenix.
    It's costing me about $450 to go take that one, so it's a do or die proposition. With a lower elevation + more training + pressure, it will get done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KelleeR View Post
    Soooo, at altitude, I got a whopping 2:20 before I had to get off the stepmill, or fall down.
    Yep. It takes a while to aclimate.

Without developing the aerobic side your physiology, you won't be able to clear the lactic acid and CO2 produced by your strength fast enough; especially in the later part of the course - if you don't pace yourself.

Have you discovered the Incline and/or Barr trail yet? Stepmilling is good - but hiking up hill with a pack for an hour, or two, or four... will generally produce a larger increase in VO2 max.

And if you and your husband are Mountain Bikers... drop me a note. I'd be happy to give you a tour of Palmer Park and the other assorted gems that are in your new back yard ;-)

Good luck,
    =Bill
    Last edited by wm25burke; 01-20-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wm25burke View Post
    Yep. It takes a while to aclimate.

Without developing the aerobic side your physiology, you won't be able to clear the lactic acid produced by your strength fast enough; especially in the later part of the course.

Have you discovered the Incline and/or Bar trail yet?
    No, I'm still in Mtn Home, Idaho. Not moving until late February. I'll hit both trails with gusto to get myself up to par once we get settled.

Forum Member

HAHA, between the Marine Corps, college, two daughters, and volunteering I don't have time for a hobby.

J/K, when I get free time the wife and I, with the kids of course, like to go hiking, walking around old historic towns like New Bern, and watching movies. I used to be big into military history, but living it 24-7 kinda takes the allure away from that. But I do love reading my Fireengineering mags and other books. Whenever I get time to myself, which is very, very rare I like to either go driving around or fly fishing, not too many good places for the latter here on the Carolina coast though. Miss my mountains.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Between my dad and I, we own three fire engines (2 Macks and a Pierce) so we enjoy playing around with those too. I also got a Dodge Charger this summer, so dressing and souping that up as been a lot of fun too!
    Is your dad living up on the Northern neck?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    After some interesting reading in the "What do you do for a living" Thread, I got to thinking about this idea - A thread based on "What Do You Do For A Hobby away from the Fire/Rescue EMS Field??"............. And NO, I'm not calling Volunteering a "Hobby", we all know better than that......

To kick it off, I'm into Motor Sports, Tractor Pulling in Particular. I'm a member of the Pit Crew for the Mischief Maker 2WD Pulling Team. We operate a 2003 Dodge Dakota Pulling Truck, with a Keith Black 585 CID Solid Aluminum Block Hemi Engine turning 1,200 HP....... Second, I'm the Owner/Driver of a Yellow and Black (Suprise!) International 582 Tractor named "Firewagon". When we're not pulling, we watch our Neighbor from a few blocks down the road, Travis Pastrana, who is into extreme MotorBike stuff.........
    Photos, collecting and yeah, this computer!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

If im going to set in front of the TV its NASCAR

Elk hunting, fishing camping.

But mostly there is allways something at the firehouse to fixin

Thread Information