Forum Member

Default Degree in Homeland Security

Hey Guys, I'm brand new here, so i dont know if this is in the right forum so here we go. I've been a firefighter since i was 16 (2007) and i had recently Graduated HS (09) and i've been looking to get a degree in homeland security, can anyone give me a list or suggest a school in which they think is the best.

Thank You.
    God Bless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterWinters
    Hey Guys, I'm brand new here, so i dont know if this is in the right forum so here we go. I've been a firefighter since i was 16 (2007) and i had recently Graduated HS (09) and i've been looking to get a degree in homeland security, can anyone give me a list or suggest a school in which they think is the best.

Thank You.
    God Bless.
    You could contact them yourself, through here: http://www.dhs.gov/index.shtm

Merry Christmas

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I'd rather have a Degree in OIL engineering. T.C.

Forum Member

Eastern Kentucky University. They have a great College of Justice and Safety, along with a DHS program!

Forum Member

Western Illinois, Akron does I think, Arizona State I think, Upper Iowa...Those are ones I know off the top of my head.

Forum Member

You might check this and it is an online program:::

http://www.teex.org/teex.cfm?pageid=...emplateid=1407

Excuse the cut and paste

Forum Member

Not sure if there is a homeland security degree but related courses

Forum Member

Although not my course of choice, I believe the University of Maryland has something that might be worth looking into.

Forum Member

I'm at Virginia Commonwealth University weorking towards my B.A in Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness right now, and I really like it.

Forum Member

University of Maryland does have a Homeland Security B.S. program (as well as Emergency Management and Fire Science). I have my degree in Fire Science from them. My minor is Homeland Security (they added the HS major after I was more than half-way done with my program and I could not afford to do a double major.) UMUC has one of the best online degree programs available. The link is below. I loved the HS courses I took.

http://www.umuc.edu/index.shtml

Forum Member

I work as a "Emergency Planner" at a private consultation firm. It's a big field to get into right now. We do all aspects to emergency preparedness and planning. One thing I can suggest is add some technical writing courses too as you will do A LOT of that. A minor in technical writing wouldn't be a bad idea either.

You can go routes through emergency management, DHS classes, or through Safety (as I did). Several guys I went to college with (Marshall University) got their degrees in safety and went to work for the WVDHSEM (WV Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management).

Just scope out the work before you pursue it. It's a great field, just not for everyone. If your the type of person who is "NIMS Crazy" and just can't enough of it, then you would probably meet the perfect criteria type for this position...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheffie View Post
    University of Maryland does have a Homeland Security B.S. program (as well as Emergency Management and Fire Science). I have my degree in Fire Science from them. My minor is Homeland Security (they added the HS major after I was more than half-way done with my program and I could not afford to do a double major.) UMUC has one of the best online degree programs available. The link is below. I loved the HS courses I took.

http://www.umuc.edu/index.shtml
    Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure if UMUC did or not. I've been taking some of the courses in Fire Science when finances and time allow, and the online courses beats going to a classroom considering the amount of traffic around here at any given time.

Forum Member

I'm a current student at UMUC, working on my bachelors in Emergency Management. Overall, very happy with the school. A few of the instructors could be a LOT more organized, but overall, very good. Plus, you can do it online. It works really well...

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the original topic. Yes, they do have a Homeland Security program as well.
    Last edited by Tim1118; 12-27-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Because I was typing faster than I was thinking.
    TruckCommittee.com

RLW
    MembersZone Subscriber

Tulane University offers a BA in Homeland Security Studies as well as a Masters program... I am currently in the program and work for the NOFD... Email me, I'll send you some more information. RLWilton@NOLA.gov

Thread Information