Forum Member

Default Got a new tanker, need speaker..

A month ago we ordered a new tanker, and it just came in today. I was put in charge of the electronics for it which means radio, siren, etc.. I got the radio, and siren.. I just need a speaker. The siren I got is a 100w/200w power call siren. Now the speaker is difficult because of the budget.. $110 max on a speaker. Any suggestions?

Forum Member
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Forum Member

I already checked that.. Not compatible with the Powercall X7200 :|. I am probably going to go with two of the STL Fitt 100-Watt Speaker's. It's a little bit over but I can pay for that myself.. Thank's anyways Chewy911!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Did you check with David at powercallsirens.com to see if he has anything available?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Did you check with David at powercallsirens.com to see if he has anything available?
    Yeah, I'll call him tomorrow before I decide to buy any speakers.

MembersZone Subscriber

How quickly do we forget ICS in the fire world. Tanker is an airplane, tender is a truck that carries a lot of water to a fire.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ffflife View Post
    Yeah, I'll call him tomorrow before I decide to buy any speakers.
    OK, just as an FYI, we're getting socked with snow on the east coast, so he may or may not be in the office in the morning.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by firefightcowboy View Post
    How quickly do we forget ICS in the fire world. Tanker is an airplane, tender is a truck that carries a lot of water to a fire.
    When DHS comes off the money to re-letter our tankers, we'll start calling 'em tenders. Ah, who am I kidding, no we won't.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember where ICS was created. If it had been on the east coast, you'd be finding new names for your airplanes.

Tankers carry water. Tenders carry coal.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yeah!............

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Remember where ICS was created. If it had been on the east coast, you'd be finding new names for your airplanes.

Tankers carry water. Tenders carry coal.
    What he Said!..............
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep in mind that comes from a group of people who decided it was easier to rename 15,000 trucks instead of 15 airplanes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, a 100 watt siren speaker is a 100 watt siren speaker. No compatability issues - they are what they are. Dirty little secret, the major part of them are almost all made by the same manufacturer.

You can wire your siren for either 100 watt or for 200 watt operation. If all you can afford is 1 speaker, slap on a 99 dollar special from Galls and when you can afford 2 upgrade to 200 watts. (HINT - going from 100 to 200 watts does not mean twice the sound)

Or contact your local two way shop - where you buy your radios from - and see what they have on the used pile. They often will give or nearly give one to a good customer. (If you buy yours from mail order, then oh well....)

If you simply will die if you don't get 200 watts from the gitgo, what do you have to trade?

And you ask for a tender around here you will be met with silence, ask for a tanker and you get water on wheels!

MembersZone Subscriber

And you ask for a tender around here you will be met with silence, ask for a tanker and you get water on wheels!

Or they'll ask... Do you want sauce with that?

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Ok, a 100 watt siren speaker is a 100 watt siren speaker. No compatability issues - they are what they are. Dirty little secret, the major part of them are almost all made by the same manufacturer.

You can wire your siren for either 100 watt or for 200 watt operation. If all you can afford is 1 speaker, slap on a 99 dollar special from Galls and when you can afford 2 upgrade to 200 watts. (HINT - going from 100 to 200 watts does not mean twice the sound)

Or contact your local two way shop - where you buy your radios from - and see what they have on the used pile. They often will give or nearly give one to a good customer. (If you buy yours from mail order, then oh well....)

If you simply will die if you don't get 200 watts from the gitgo, what do you have to trade?

What he said. Just because you have two 100 watt speakers doesn't mean twice the warning sound. If that was the case 4 would be a lot better than 2!

A lot of radio shops have speakers that were once on apparatus or other emergency vehicles. They are either sitting on a shelf or in a box in a corner waiting to the chance to wail again!

Why wasn't the siren and speakers specked in the truck and the company from which is making this water wagon for your FD install it at their factory???

Better yet why not a Q2???
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Who orders a new truck without warning equipment?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Who orders a new truck without warning equipment?
    Who orders a truck and has it delivered in a month? A Demo already has the siren and all installed.

Forum Member

Something isn't right about the OP post. They might be getting a use milk or fuel truck.

Too many variables. Maybe a bs post too.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I really don't care about what it is going on, I just can't believe someone told him the speaker was not compatible. Sounds like a radio salespuke.

But I don't think I have ever seen a new tanker without the siren already installed.

Forum Member

The truck we got was one from nearby department. It's a F-550 with a 1500gal tank(er). We call them tankers around here lol. Tenders are what steam trains use right? Anyways, they took their siren out because it was "rare"? And wouldn't I love Q-2! But sadly they are banned in our county due to how loud they are, so we are stuck with electronic sirens. And as for the compatibility of the speaker/siren it's because the powercall tone uses alot more power than wail, yelp, or phaser.. The entire package, 200 watt powercall with 2 100 watt speakers was $320. Just under the budget!

MembersZone Subscriber

Some years ago we built a tanker which consisted of a used chassis on which was mounted a fire service tank (by the tank vendor). Lights, siren, etc were all done in-house by our members.

It's not at all uncommon for small FDs to acquire non-fire vehicles and turn them into fire apparatus using their own labor and know-how. Why pay someone to drill a few holes and run some wires if you can do it yourself?

The suitability of some repurposed vehicles may be debatable, but that's another thread entirely.

I suspect the OP is in a similar situation.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffflife View Post
    The truck we got was one from nearby department. It's a F-550 with a 1500gal tank(er). We call them tankers around here lol. Tenders are what steam trains use right? Anyways, they took their siren out because it was "rare"? And wouldn't I love Q-2! But sadly they are banned in our county due to how loud they are, so we are stuck with electronic sirens. And as for the compatibility of the speaker/siren it's because the powercall tone uses alot more power than wail, yelp, or phaser.. The entire package, 200 watt powercall with 2 100 watt speakers was $320. Just under the budget!

Ok, the part where you said you "Ordered" the truck got us all wondering.

Your county bans Q sirens? Strange.

And no, I will still call BS on the compatabilty. 200 watts is 200 watts. The power call puts out no more "power" than the 100 or 200 watt it is rated at - and any siren speaker that is also capable of handling 100 or 200 watts will handle it.

If someone told you that is not the case, and they are selling them, they are full of shi t and you should run away from them. If they are not selling them they are just misinformed.

Of course, my BSEE could be a waste. (well, it sort of was, but not the knowledge part)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Some years ago we built a tanker which consisted of a used chassis on which was mounted a fire service tank (by the tank vendor). Lights, siren, etc were all done in-house by our members.

It's not at all uncommon for small FDs to acquire non-fire vehicles and turn them into fire apparatus using their own labor and know-how. Why pay someone to drill a few holes and run some wires if you can do it yourself?

The suitability of some repurposed vehicles may be debatable, but that's another thread entirely.

I suspect the OP is in a similar situation.
    Correct, but in his case he said they "we ordered a new tanker". In our case, as we have been repurposing trucks into tankers and brush trucks forever, we normally say "we got a truck and now we are lashing the tank down with a rope." "just duct tape those wares (Southern for wires) there along that driveshaft for those lights" is another common one.

Forum Member

Please tell me you arent putting 1500 water on a F-550
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Please tell me you arent putting 1500 water on a F-550

I was wondering about that - but hey, there won't be a Q!

Forum Member

Yes our county bans Q's. Have for the past 30 years, got too many complaints about the loudness of the siren. And sorry for the "ordered" mix up. I meant to put we got a truck from another department. And slackjaw, why shouldn't we? The weight of 1500 gallons is only around 12,000/13,000 pounds. And with the reinforced frame of the f-550 it is capable of 28,000 pounds.

Thread Information