Forum Member

Default Looking for some Advice

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this post. I was just looking for a little advice or wisdom in my present situation. I am 23 years old and have been in the Army National Guard as a Fire Fighter for about three years now. I went through the Lewis F Garlend Fire Academy at Ft. Goodfellow TX where I obtained my FFI, FFII, HAZOPS, ARRFF certifications. I have since obtained Pumper/Operator, and Fire Inspector I. I am currently going to school at a 2 year college to obtain an Associates of Arts in Social Sciences (2 year gen ed degree), which I will complete after this Spring semester. I have also just started with a volunteer fire fighting department in September. I am working on also getting my EMT-B, (need to retake the nremt here in a few weeks). I love the fire service and can't think of a better job on this planet. I understand that it is however and incredibly competitive job. I am going to move with my girlfriend here after next summer and I was trying to figure out what would be my best course of action for schooling. I have been taking a lot of psychology courses and enjoy them just because I think they are interesting and I can stay motivated enough to complete school. The school has a fire rescue program, but I feel like I have recieved all of that training already through the military, so I wouldn't want to waste my time when there could be something better for me to do. Should I continue with my schooling and get a bachelors in psychology, or would it be more beneficial for me to take the fire science? Each would take me a couple of years. I plan to join a volunteer fd as soon as I move and possibly look for part time work as an EMT-B. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Forum Member

what state are you going to live in and want to work in??

what is your ultimate goal as a job??

Forum Member

I would love to work as a paid city firefighter. I live in Montana and that is where I would like to work. I woudn't mind working in washington or somewhere close either.

Forum Member

My advice would be to find out what requirements are needed to apply where you live and near by, get it, and start applying till you get hired

Then finish your degree

Forum Member

Nickstamper-

Fire49 has it right. Start applying now...You have plenty of background to get going and I think it'd be a mistake to take another two years right now for the degree. Many departments have an educational stipend, and you can go to school while working as a career firefighter for much less money. Also, you will have overcome the biggest hurdle in your fire career...Getting The Job. You can get a good idea of what I suggest doing right now here:

http://www.gethiredbyfire.com/?p=21

Go For It NOW!!!

Paul

Forum Member

Hey there! I went through Garland as well and obtained the same certs as you. The best choice I ever made was getting my EMT-Paramedic. It helped get a job after only being out of the Air Force for three months. Just my $0.02. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Thread Information