Default ipad and Android tablets foir the fire service

Is there any department that is using the Ipad or even and android tab for run information for Fire and ems in the field? I am having a hard time finding information on anyone that is using either platform for this. I am aware that FIREHOUSE software has a few apps for the Ipad for pre planing but was wondering if there might be other alternatives. Maybe even someone can help write a app for us to use or teach me how to write android / Ipad.

Forum Member

My department was recently looking into an IPad app for company inspections. The company provides the IPad, app, databases, and handles the billing. They make a small fee off each inspection and the department recoups the rest.

http://www.firerecoveryusa.com/companyinspections.html

I think it is just going to be a matter of time before Firehouse or Fire Recovery comes up with a PCR app.
    Fire and EMS Shift Calendars and Day Planners
    www.bwprintworks.com

Forum Member

Default Special Ops Software on iPad

Our hazmat team is currently running Decisions for Heroes (D4H) on ipads. We use D4H to track our equipment, monitor supply levels, training records, incident reports, team member availability.

They give out free trials of their software on the website www.decisionsforheroes.com

On another note, I got an e-mail that Zoll is releasing an ePCR app for the ipad. It will be a free app, that charges per run report.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been looking a options for an MDT. Thinking of tablet if can make it work. I've concluded the IPAD is more of a toy/fancy cellphone. It's an Apple though so let the koolaid flow.

There are several tablets out/coming out soon (Android or even running Windows 7) that have USB or mini USB, keyboard options (or built in as a slider). ASUS looks to be really working the tablet market.

I'm looking for ability to store 2 counties worth of pictrometry info with GIS overlays so need at least 300GB (so external HD = need USB) just for that. Apparatus (tanker in particular) tracking with GPS reporting. Preplans. Hazmat ref.

Thinking need a router/hub at station (for DSL). A seperate hub in command car with G3 air card for on scene use.

Forum Member

Talking glug glug glug

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    I've been looking a options for an MDT. Thinking of tablet if can make it work. I've concluded the IPAD is more of a toy/fancy cellphone. It's an Apple though so let the koolaid flow.

There are several tablets out/coming out soon (Android or even running Windows 7) that have USB or mini USB, keyboard options (or built in as a slider). ASUS looks to be really working the tablet market.
    The fact that the iPad doesn't have an external USB port doesn't make it at toy or fancy cell phone. It runs a complete OS under the hood just like an Droid. External storage solutions are out there for the iPad. Even better would be a TimeCapsule type wifi storage, it would separate your storage from your interface. Pro or anti Apple is just dogma. Dogma is bad for IT departments.

As for keyboards, a bluetooth keyboard would work fine with any brand of tablet. But a keyboard is only going to be used for non-response situations. Typing on a keyboard while bouncing down the road in a fire engine is an exercise in futility. Better to develop touch screen solutions (i.e. single button macros) or voice-to-text. Our department uses Toughbooks and they are worthless. You trade up-to-date processors for "ruggedness". All at 3 times the price. You can buy 3 tablets with Otterbox cases for the price of a toughbook and get more processing power to boot.

Once multi-touch capable, stand alone screens are developed in conjunction with programmers having more experience programming for a touch environment... That's when things will really move forward.

Wiring inside a fire vehicle is a huge weak point. Get rid of it. Bluetooth keyboard, wireless router that has attached solid state storage and 4G connectivity, bluetooth GPS receiver, happiness ensues.

Where did I put that glass of Kool-aide....

Forum Member

Default IPAD as a MDT

My dept. has been using Ipads in its chiefs cars as MDT's for close to a year now. They work FANTASTIC! AT&T coverage in the area was less that to be desired so we opted for the Sprint Overdrive unit. Unit is in my car and on at all times plugged into a 12 volt outlet. I run remote access software on the IPAD and have an MDT version of our dispatch software running on the server in our headquarters. Responding on an alarm I have everything at my finger tips. Who I have responding to firehouses (members utilize a call in system), map of the area, hydrant locations, any alerts for the address as well as have the ability to see pre-planned information. We previously ran Toughbooks like everyone else. They were big, bulky, slow and expensive. The IPADs take up much much less room in your vehicle, are much faster and truth be told we outfitted four chiefs vehicles with IPADs and mounts for the vehicle for less than the cost of one Toughbook installation. The system was my brain child, has been going crazy here in the New York area, everyone is dumping Toughbook and going this way. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJ View Post
    Our department is looking to add iPads to make billing easier on the calls. That said, great apps like: Firefighter Calculator can also be placed on the devices to help with calculations on the scene (e.g. How much foam concentrate is needed for an oil tank that is 100 foot in diameter? How much water is needed?).

Checkout Firefighter Calculator at iTunes or Android Marketplace. Works on iPhone and Android phones as well.
    Most firefighters don't appreciate people who lie to make money. For example, people who pretend to have just found a product and talk it up. When really, they created it and serve to make a profit off of it.

Has anyone seen the new app for Android and iPhone called: Firefighter Calculator. Curious what people think -- and what features and apps they believe are great for training. This one certainly looks great!
    I just launched an app for Firefighters on Android and iPhone (Firefighter Calculator). It replaces the plastic cards and cardboard calculators -- and even the electronic ones -- that some people carried and trained with. [/url]!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Most firefighters don't appreciate people who lie to make money. For example, people who pretend to have just found a product and talk it up. When really, they created it and serve to make a profit off of it.

I am confused. Where did this alanj stuff come from?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I am confused. Where did this alanj stuff come from?
    His other threads.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

His other threads.
    Glad to see they finally nuked his spamming account...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

His other threads.
    Got it. Webteam removed him. Thanks

Forum Member

The new ASUS transformer looks like a great tablet. I played with one the other day, and it was very fast and responsive. I didn't get a chance to play with the keyboard though...

I would love to give a good tablet a try for on-scene incident reporting (both fire and EMS) when the software catches up to the hardware. Even Emergency Reporting, who has been web based since the early 2000's is still designed for a sit down "PC" user interface.

Personally I think we are about 2-3 years away from a robust easy-to-use tablet experience, but I'm looking forward to that time. I'm still willing to play on the bleeding edge if the price is right ( <$500 for my budget ), but I just don't think that the technology is ready for prime time yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone tried a fireground LAN using a WiFi router in a "command" vehicle? Issues with range or function thru steel cab (at transmit and receiver). Need to use external antenna (is there such an weatherproof item)? 2.4ghz or 5.0ghz? 802.11___?

Working thru plan for my MDT grant project. Thinking:

1. Tablet in each vehicle with a external 1TB USB HD. External HD has regional pictometry data. Other preplan etc data on tablet. ASUS looks like a strong candidate for tablet.

2. Touch (large) screen desktop or laptop in crewcab "command" vehicle. Ethernet connection to wireless router (likely located under seat). With 3G/4G aircard or thru cellphone. In quarters, connection (cable?) to DSL modem.

3. GPS function? with location reporting?

Main application - building/site preplans including LDH relays, tanker planning. GIS overlays for Pictometry aerial of limited bridge/culverts for planning and designation of tanker routes. Farmsite preplans with ground level photos and Pictometry info. GPS mapping for out of district mutual aid.

How to get call/address data from PSAP to each truck so pops on Tablet. With most direct routing and preplan info?

Forum Member

Lightbulb

@neiowa :

We are currently using Verizon Mifi 2200's in all our vehicles, and they are working out great. our backline rigs do require a reset every few days as VZW will kick them off their network after a long period of non-use. these are velcro'd to the dash and range on these is about 60' with the cab closed up.

We've tried aircards (with and without external boosted antennas) in out toughbooks, and the MiFi devices are a far better choice even without an external antenna booster. We would break an aircard at least once a quarter...

As for "back in the bay" type connections, I think you're much better off just setting up a wireless network that the vehicles can hook up to (not by default) for updates and such.

For your paging in the vehicle from your PSAP - have you looked at Google Voice? It's free and worth a look. Our dispatch software has a web interface also, so we can just keep that page up and refreshed on our MDT's, it works pretty well in and out of the bays.

Lastly have a look at IncidentView software, it sounds like it might fit your needs for a mapping solution.

Good luck and feel free to contact me if I can help further.

Forum Member

We are currently using android Tablets in one of our engines and our ambulance. We use a software called Streetwise CADlink, which supplies us with call information, mapping, hydrants, preplans, and location of other responding units with tablets. Its a great software, however we are having some issues with the county cooperating with us (They sometimes forget to sent the CAD information out, which therefore means we dont receive the call). By no means the softwares fault, just an unreliable county dispatch.

http://www.streetwisecadlink.com/

Forum Member

Bedford and Amherst Fire Department are replacing their MDT with smartphone and tablets with PublicEye software. Here is an article about Bedford Fire Department's decision to use smartphone and tablets on the daily basis:
    http://www.citeworld.com/consumeriza...bliceye?page=0

Thread Information