Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Scott Combat Challenge

hey guys thinking about doing the combat challenge at FDIC this year. Anybody ever done it? any pointers? comments?
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Forum Member

Can you sign up when you get there? Until now, I've never heard of it. Did a good search, and I think I could be really competitive at this.

not sure looks like its a sign up in advance deal but not sure...

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Two of the firefighters at work hold records for the Combat Challenge. They train weekly at our training center, and have the department's full backing on it.

If you want to do it, starting training NOW. Like, put your laptop aside and go train now. I've watched these guys train and compete, and this is not a challenge for the weak!

Here's their website if you're interested: Team Rescue Mode. Lonnie Lewis, one of the team members, works for a neighboring department but competes with our guys. He's pretty good, as he's a world record holder, and was the 45+ national and world champion.
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 12-26-2010 at 09:09 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

cool thanks sir

I did it in 1996 in Springfield, MA... It was It was in July, and it was hazy, hot and humid.temps in the high 90's.

I had three minute time when I got to the rescue mannequin... ran out of energy and collapsed. I was taken to the rehab tent were I was given O2 and fluids.

It was fun... I didn't do it for a trophy or a record, I did it for myself.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

It's a great competition. I believe everyone in the fire service should do this at least once. The firefighters who compete in this are truly professionals at this sport. They train year round and travel to multiple events all across the nation. Physical fitness is a vital part of the fire service, and this event shows off the hard work and skill sets of firefighters across the globe.

Most of the events are all preregister. If not, it will state that you can sign up at the event. Just go and do it, who cares how you do. If you've never done one before and don't kill yourself everyday in the gym, you're not gonna hold a match to the guys who do this event day in, day out... but you'll feel a major sense of accomplishment for just competing. You'll meet some amazing people and you'll be shocked at the fitness level of men in their 50's!!! As well as women too! Get a bunch of members of your dept and go and do it! It's a blast!!

Quote Originally Posted by InstructorJV87 View Post
    hey guys thinking about doing the combat challenge at FDIC this year. Anybody ever done it? any pointers? comments?

Check this out..........

http://www.firefighter-challenge.com/
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Well, you do know what they say about it, "It's the toughest three minutes in sports!" I used to watchit on ESPN, it's hard to catch on TV now though. But go for it, I plan on it when I get out of the Marines and hopefully get on a dept. that will support it.

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Well, you do know what they say about it, "It's the toughest three minutes in sports!" I used to watchit on ESPN, it's hard to catch on TV now though. But go for it, I plan on it when I get out of the Marines and hopefully get on a dept. that will support it.

Actually now its the toughest TWO minutes in sports haha. And in means of a department that supports it, most guys I've spoken to fund their endeavors out of their own pockets. Get good enough and you can get sponsors to assist.

FYI, all the top challengers are CrossFit freaks... youtube some videos to get some ideas of whats involved.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    Actually now its the toughest TWO minutes in sports haha. And in means of a department that supports it, most guys I've spoken to fund their endeavors out of their own pockets. Get good enough and you can get sponsors to assist.

FYI, all the top challengers are CrossFit freaks... youtube some videos to get some ideas of whats involved.
    I should have specified what I meant, I was talking more of being able to get off work to do it. With the Marine Corps it's hard to justify taking leave to do it. At least with my unit it is. Taking leave here is like asking God himself for a miracle.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Check this out..........

http://www.firefighter-challenge.com/
    Thanks for the link Capt. I don't think my shoulders could get me through the course but if one comes near by, I'll definitely put it on the calendar.

Forum Member

I competed twice back in the mid 90's. I was already in decent shape, but I trained hard for about 6 months before the event. Best time was 3:17, ran in weather conditions similar to what ChiefGonzo described. Not exactly world-class, but I was satisfied. I turn 50 in May, and I'm thinking about entering again in the "50 & over" catagory.

I did it 2007 when it was in Omaha. Just before it came here, I had to go out to the training center when they were doing PAT's on possible new hires. Knowing the guys running it, I asked if I could run it. I did, and passed. The same guys were there for the combat challenge and saw I was there. Asked if I wanted to try it, and said "sure, why not."

Second biggest mistake of my life. The hose carry up the stairs and the dummy drag killed me. I keep in shape, but not on that kind of level. The bunker pants and boots added ALOT to the fatigue. They kicked my butt. My time was a little over 4 minutes.

The experience: Priceless and painful. Do it again??? NFW !!!!!!

Good luck to anybody that does it.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Last year they were letting us register the day of the event. Not sure how strict they will be on it this year, the best thing to do is call On-Target and ask.

If you do end up running at FDIC PM me, I should be there running an individual. Better start working out.

The Combat Challenge was hosted by my department in 2007. The whole crew is wonderful and very friendly as well.

I did it first at FDIC in 1996 and then again in 2007 when they came to Altoona. If you are serious about doing it, you better start training now. There are people that travel with this group and do it all the time. I did it for fun with no prep at all and it literally kicked my *****!! It is very tough. You might not think so by watching someone do it but let me tell ya, it is very tough.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Does anyone do any type of SCBA simulation training? Or have any suggestions? I've seen MMA fighters who train utilizing a snorkel to adapt to training with restricted breathing (same as breathing on SCBA).

I've considered training with filtered masks, just to simulate the labored breathing that is experienced during intense physical efforts on air.

Doing so for 1) Cleaning masks and filling packs becomes a hassle, and 2) breathing in all that dry air takes a bit of recovery time, at least at my altitude.

Forum Member

Just let everyone know I believe Day 1 is individual racing, Day 2 is Relays, and Day 3 is Tandem Relays. We are trying to get a >50 Relay Division added. We had 5 teams at WC XIX in Myrtle Beach. We also had 3 guys >60 competing, with at least 3 more crossing over for this season.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

MembersZone Subscriber

While I have never tried the event, our local city hosted it two year in a row and I went and watched. I also had a change to visit with some of the competitors. One of the guys in the over 50 group that held the record told me the best thing to do is run stairs and hills, he said if you don't have any legs left in the end you will not finish. I saw guys there that look very buff and fit and had to be literally carried off the course. These guys are tremendous athletes and I have the greatest amount of respect for those that compete in what some say is now the toughest two minutes in sports.

Thread Information