Forum Member

Default DOD federal firefighter intervirews

has anyone gone through an interview process with a DOD/federal fire dept. just wondering if its the same or similar to city dept or totally different. Thanks!!
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonsoffun1101 View Post
    has anyone gone through an interview process with a DOD/federal fire dept. just wondering if its the same or similar to city dept or totally different. Thanks!!
    Usually conducted by the Chief, maybe a Deputy Chief and/or Captain and possibly a representative of Personnel. Many of the same questions that a Municipal Department might ask may be tossed at you. Wear a suit and tie. If you are 20 minutes early you are on time. If you are on time, you are late.

Interviewing for Tobyhanna??
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Its a little different in the feds. I would say more often then not the person is just picked. Its like going on a blind date, but at the end of the blind date you have to marry the person. Meaning a lot of times, the day the person starts is the first time anyone in the department has laid eyes on the applicant including the white shirts. I have worked at 2 different federal operations, and this has been the case at both places. Now there are exceptions to the rule. And even if there is an interview, and you just blow it away. There could be a 10 point vet, a person of the stopper or a rif'd dock worker that was a firefighter in a past life that will waltz in and take your job (I have seen the latter 2).

It really comes down to how well your resume is written. With the Navy and USMC, a computer scores your resume and then a list is made. Again, vet points play a huge role and of course IFSAC/PRO BOARD/DOD CERTS are almost the most important thing. Now, the DON does have a program called NCIP (Naval Career Internship Program), they hire people with nothing. I have seen oral boards for those positions. In the instance where a board does happen, the gentleman above me is correct. It is just like a job outside the blue line. Do the Captain Bob thing, come prepared, dress appropriately. I always go with the thought of; whether you are interviewing for the job of the president of the company or the guy who empties the trash, the attire is the same.

Good Luck.

Forum Member

FWDbuff its not for Tobyhanna I wish tho so close to me but very competitive to get in. This one is in Virginia still waiting to get the call but I made the list and a Email was sent up that interviews were going to be taking place.

FFPM0081 and FWDbuff Thanks for the info!!!

Forum Member

FWDbuff its not for Tobyhanna I wish tho so close to me but very competitive to get in.
    Yeah, I know. I was at APG, commuting from the Lehigh Valley. They advertised three GS7 D/O spots in early 2005 (which I was....fully qualified for the position.) I put in for one of them, and scored high enough to get an offer from CPOC (which was at APG at the time.) Waited for 3-4 weeks, didnt hear a thing and called CPOC to see what was going on. CPOC was puzzled, said "You should have heard from Civilian Personnel at Tobyhanna by now?????" I said "Nope." So she said "I'll call you back."

Got a phone call about 2 hours later- Seemed that the Fire Chief there was playing games. The offer was retracted, but no one from Tobyhanna personnel called me.

By the way, APG has three spots open now, with 2 more expected to open in the near future. I would think guys from Willow Grove would jump on them.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

FWDbuff sent you a PM

Thread Information