Forum Member

Default Question on getting hired for a federal FF job

So I am currently a civil service employee working as an Aircraft Ordnance Inspector. I have always wanted to be a FireFighter. So my question is, what do I need to have to get hired on as a federal FireFighter on a base? From reading the job descriptions, I need at least one year of specialized experience or education or a combination of both. Anyways I currently have neither but am determined to work on that and possibly volunteer at a local fire house. My question is what are some certs or or anything I can do to better my chances when I apply? Does it help that I am already federal and prior military? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Forum Member

You need to know someone. Plain and simple.

Forum Member

its a lot of requirements and for the most part, being a current or prior fed. employee will not help because the 0081/ firefighter series is quite specialized. At most Air Force bases you will need at the least: FIRE I/II, Airport FF, HAZMAT TECH, and some sort of medical whether First Responder or EMT-B (most likely EMT-B). I cannot speak for Army because I know in some cases they hire at a trainee level and get the certs as time goes by. My station does not do that, you need to have all your certs from the get-go.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    You need to know someone. Plain and simple.
    Wow.. still holding a grudge, huh? Let it go.. it's not healthy.. Maybe consider moving elsewhere?

-Damien
    Last edited by DFurtman; 12-28-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Worldwide Menace

And I concur with bostondude... There is a lot of specialized training and certifications that you need, plus years of experience working with those certifications. Volunteering at a fire department will be good for some of your certifications, but you may not get the chance to be exposed to many of the things we do at a working airport. Let me also add that you will probably need at a minimum of your driver/operator certifications (ARFF, Pumper and Mobile Water Supply). Keep in mind, positions are very competitive as there are many prior military firefighters competing for these positions.

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Wow.. still holding a grudge, huh? Let it go.. it's not healthy.. Maybe consider moving elsewhere?

-Damien
    Fella, i've got a job, and I got it because i know someone. Just like you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Fella, i've got a job, and I got it because i know someone. Just like you.
    Yeah... me too, strange.

Anyways, you CAN get a job without knowing somebody, but you will have a much higher success rate if you do.

They are right a lot of people in the Federal Gov. do know someone. That being said don't loose complete hope, I did not know anyone. I actually didn't even know there was federal jobs, a friend told me to apply one day because he had heard about it. I lucked out big time because I randomly applied to a job I didn't know anything about.
    My advice being a younger person in the Gov., (5 years now) join a Volunteer house and get as much training and experience as possible, apply to as many jobs as possible, and don't give up if you don't hear anything right away.
    I work at a Army base, I would recommend applying to Navy. In my area it has grown increasingly hard to get a job with the army because they hire at full performance (GS-07 requires more training). I have a friend who was trying to get in and he got a job with the Navy because they Hire at the 05 level which requires Haz Mat Ops instead of Tech and a few different classes.
    I don't know if any of that was help or not but good luck! Don't listen to the people who say you need to know someone (though that helps) anything is possible.

Thread Information