Forum Member

Default Trolls or no trolls... spammers or no spammers

Do you prefer the firehouse.com forums with trolls or no trolls>
    Spammers or no spammers?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Spammers or no spammers?
    I don't like spam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

But I do like troll hunters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4PGFODxiJc
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post

But I do like troll hunters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4PGFODxiJc
    That was Fwckin' Awesome, My sides hurt.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Deputy Marshal may be on to something.... Saabs are made in Trollhattan!
    http://www.trollhattansaab.net/
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

makes good girls go bad

Isn't fh.com with no trolls or spammers www.iacoj.com?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Spammers or no spammers?
    I'll take the no spammers.

MembersZone Subscriber

No sir, I do not like green eggs and ham.

Love the trailer, hate the spam.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    No sir, I do not like green eggs and ham.

Love the trailer, hate the spam.
    Good thing I'm out of coffee. That would have been an ugly *splort*...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    I'll take the no spammers.
    I'll second that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default No More Spam!

Having recently helped clear out several hundred posts by a spammer on a local forum I moderate, I'm all for getting rid of the spammers.

The spamming I've seen here is nothing compared to what we've dealt with on that local board.

Ironically, I just read that spam is actually down. The spammers are going after social networking and the like. Same with the hackers. How's the anti-virus software on your smart phone?

Trolls show up pretty much everywhere. First line of defense is to ignore them. Eventually they'll either get bored and give up, or they'll get so obnoxious that everyone agrees they have to go (even the WT).
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

And just curious...what would we consider this thread to be? Personally, I'd open up a BIG ole econo sized can of spam and spread it ALL over this thread...Seriously guys, we get it, Trolls and Spam suck. Let the mods take care of it. Stop whining about it all the time, your almost as bad as they are.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EngineCO38 View Post
    And just curious...what would we consider this thread to be? Personally, I'd open up a BIG ole econo sized can of spam and spread it ALL over this thread...Seriously guys, we get it, Trolls and Spam suck. Let the mods take care of it. Stop whining about it all the time, your almost as bad as they are.
    The problem is... the moderation here is haphazard at best. People have come back after being banned more times than sequels of Rocky movies...

There are many of us that have asked if we could moderate and nip some of these issues in the bud, our requests have fallen upon deaf ears....

If you want to insult your brothers and sisters who give a fat rat's rump about what goes on here and the future of the fire service... then you are no better than the trolls and spammers yourself.

Just my $2's worth... Deputies have to pay a little more.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Truckie

Neither, and can we add idiots that believe having absolutely no basic firefighting skills still earns them the right to be called a firefighter?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Neither, and can we add idiots that believe having absolutely no basic firefighting skills still earns them the right to be called a firefighter?
    Sorry, but to me a firefighter is the 25-year veteran FDNY , the 10 year veteran suburban volunteer, the 5 year rural member who has responded to 4 structure fires over that time and has gone interior once, the exterior member that drives the tanker or grabs tools, the fire police, the support folks that change bottles or take pictures, and the junior members who do the little jobs.

If they all show commitment, which has nothing to do with the number of certs or the number of fires they have fought they are all involved in the operation. They are all involved in fighting fires at one level or another. They are all part of the firefighting team. They are all firefighters.

It's not about what they have achieved. It's about the commitment to be there.

Sorry for the derail. Carry On.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 12-29-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Forum Member

The problem is... the moderation here is haphazard at best. People have come back after being banned more times than sequels of Rocky movies...

There are many of us that have asked if we could moderate and nip some of these issues in the bud, our requests have fallen upon deaf ears....

If you want to insult your brothers and sisters who give a fat rat's rump about what goes on here and the future of the fire service... then you are no better than the trolls and spammers yourself.

Just my $2's worth... Deputies have to pay a little more.
    Dude I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just pointing out that your not helping by making threads like this. Your just adding to the clutter, and fueling the fire that feeds the real trolls. You think they are going to stop when they see this? Hell no, they're gonna say "Ha now I'm really starting to annoy them, time to kick it up a notch"

Those of us that are hear to learn, and here to share our knowledge with the rest of the fire service shouldn't have to sift through pages of threads like this that contribute nothing to the forums.

We need to do our best to find a solution to this problem, not become part of it. We're all here to learn, so lets just do our best to ignore the trouble makers. Insulting and fighting amongst each other wont help either.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Sorry, but to me a firefighter is the 25-year veteran FDNY , the 10 year veteran suburban volunteer, the 5 year rural member who has responded to 4 structure fires over that time and has gone interior once, the exterior member that drives the tanker or grabs tools, the fire police, the support folks that change bottles or take pictures, and the junior members who do the little jobs.

If they all show commitment, which has nothing to do with the number of certs or the number of fires they have fought they are all involved in the operation. They are all involved in fighting fires at one level or another. They are all part of the firefighting team. They are all firefighters.

It's not about what they have achieved. It's about the commitment to be there.

Sorry for the derail. Carry On.
    Oh I plan to carry on, right here and right now. So you mena to say that you consider a junior member, such as a fire explorer, to be a firefighter? That's the dumbest comment I've ever heard, and I mean ever. You consider a photographer to be a firefighter, because ours was a civilian, then again, the dumbest comment I've ever heard. So I guess you wouldn't mind your government paying an explorer, civilian photographer, or joe shmo that runs into a house to pull someone out before the F.D. gets there your paycheck then? Cause I mean, you just said they're firefighters too.

Truckie

We need to do our best to find a solution to this problem, not become part of it.
    What part of "There are many of us that have asked if we could moderate and nip some of these issues in the bud, our requests have fallen upon deaf ears...." are you having difficulty comprehending?
    Now this may come off as rude, but so be it. You have been here what, 6 months? DeputyChiefGonzo has been here almost 11 years. Gives him way more insight of all the bs that has gone on here and continues to go on. So a piece of advice, don't let your 20 year mouth out run your proby *****.
    So with that in mind, continue to learn while those that have been around awhile hold the firehouse.com staffs' feet to the fire on banning the spammers and trolls.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

Forum Member

Posted by EngineCo38
    Dude I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just pointing out that your not helping by making threads like this. Your just adding to the clutter, and fueling the fire that feeds the real trolls. You think they are going to stop when they see this? Hell no, they're gonna say "Ha now I'm really starting to annoy them, time to kick it up a notch"

Those of us that are hear to learn, and here to share our knowledge with the rest of the fire service shouldn't have to sift through pages of threads like this that contribute nothing to the forums.

We need to do our best to find a solution to this problem, not become part of it. We're all here to learn, so lets just do our best to ignore the trouble makers. Insulting and fighting amongst each other wont help either.
    What part of "There are many of us that have asked if we could moderate and nip some of these issues in the bud, our requests have fallen upon deaf ears...." are you having difficulty comprehending?
    Now this may come off as rude, but so be it. You have been here what, 6 months? DeputyChiefGonzo has been here almost 11 years. Gives him way more insight of all the bs that has gone on here and continues to go on. So a piece of advice, don't let your 20 year mouth out run your proby *****.
    So with that in mind, continue to learn while those that have been around awhile hold the firehouse.com staffs' feet to the fire on banning the spammers and trolls.

SFPDRum is absolutely correct.

I've seen a lot of good people with vast amounts of knowledge who no longer post here because of the "bovine scat" that has permeated the boards over the last few years or those banned for stupid reasons while the trolls and spammers are allowed to stay on. People such as HFD66Truck, E229LT, Dalmatian 190, CalFFBou, Mongo99, Pipeman2, ChiefReason and many others.

Sometimes I wonder why I am still here... It's not because I have a masochistic streak.. I still hold out hope... and we can't let the bahstids win...
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

You think I honestly care how long you or anyone else has been here? It's an internet forum, I take anything and everything on the internet with a grain of salt. I'm sure that a lot of people have tried to help the mods and web team out, and thats great. I'm not saying that DPG hasn't tried to help, its just that this thread isn't, if anything its making it worse.

And come on man, your attitude really kinda stinks. There is no reason to be rude or nasty to anyone here.

Truckie

And come on man, your attitude really kinda stinks.
    You think I honestly care what you think of my attitude?
    It is a tongue-in-cheek, (read-humor) thread.

Oh my DeputyChief, your thread has made everything worse. Time to shut down the entire forums.....
    Some people must just be a bundle of joy at the shift change coffee table.
    George Mason

Forum Member

Oh my DeputyChief, your thread has made everything worse. Time to shut down the entire forums.....
    There are those personnel that make their fellow firefighters happy.. some when they arrive, some when they leave....
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Oh I plan to carry on, right here and right now. So you mena to say that you consider a junior member, such as a fire explorer, to be a firefighter? That's the dumbest comment I've ever heard, and I mean ever. You consider a photographer to be a firefighter, because ours was a civilian, then again, the dumbest comment I've ever heard. So I guess you wouldn't mind your government paying an explorer, civilian photographer, or joe shmo that runs into a house to pull someone out before the F.D. gets there your paycheck then? Cause I mean, you just said they're firefighters too.
    Our juniors are involved in the firefighting effort. They maintain the water supply, they raise ladders, they man exterior lines, they are actively involved in wildfire operations and yes, we even let them pack up and assist with overhaul under the direct supervision of an officer or senior man, so in our operation (and my past department as well), they do participate in the firefighting operation.

As far as photographers, they are a vital part of the firefighting team. I guess I'm really not into classifications and titles as we all have a role in how well things work.

They are part of the team and I have no issue with classifying them as firefighters.

Forum Member

Alright, I suppose it doesn't matter really what I say here. I just was sharing my opinion on the matter, if you don't want to listen and prefer to insult me for it. Thats fine, you win. Have fun with that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Our juniors are involved in the firefighting effort. They maintain the water supply, they raise ladders, they man exterior lines, they are actively involved in wildfire operations and yes, we even let them pack up and assist with overhaul under the direct supervision of an officer or senior man, so in our operation (and my past department as well), they do participate in the firefighting operation.

As far as photographers, they are a vital part of the firefighting team. I guess I'm really not into classifications and titles as we all have a role in how well things work.

They are part of the team and I have no issue with classifying them as firefighters.
    So your juniors, are they the same thing as an explorer scout? If so then ya'll are screwing up big time, unless ya'll have some kind of amazing insurance company that covers them as well, which I highly doubt. The department I worked for didn't allow explorers, or evern recruits for that matter, anywhere near a fire. The recruits had to graduate recruit school before doing anything other than being a hydrant man, bottle refiller, bottle changer, and hose roller. Even after recruit scholl, they are still called probies until their probationary period is over. If they still didn't cut it, they might be allowed an extended probi e period or cut loose, either way, they still weren't firefighters just yet. So your juniors and your photographers, and whoever else you wanna classify as a firefighter has gone through some sort of academy/probie class or probationary period to earn the right to be called a firefighter? Again, I highly doubt this as well. Firefighter is a title like U.S. Marine, earned, not given, or shouldn't be given anyway. We have civilians that are part of the military team, but I'll be double damned before I give them the honor of being called or calling themselves a Marine. Screw that.

BTW, you didn't answer my question, want them to start paying them YOUR money because they got there first and saved somebody, took some pictures, or rolled some hose for you?
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-29-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Forum Member

Again, I have no issue with our support personnel, exterior personnel or anyone else that responds to an incident being generally classified as firefighters. It's probably just me, but "protecting" the title simply isn't an issue like it seems to be with you. Maybe I simply feel that as part of the team, it's not a problem.

We also classify them as probationary until they complete their Skills Checklist.

As far as them being paid, it wouldn't be an issue with me if we were a large enough organization to hire them. On the volunteer side, our juniors, support and dispatch personnel earn the same number of points for a response or training as our "firefighters", and those points have the same dollar value. So as an organization, we do reward interior personnel at the same level as exterior, support and junior members as they are equally important in the operation.

Thread Information