Forum Member

Default Hello, WI, career chg!

Looks like there are a few Wisco folks on here!! Nice to see!

I joined a volunteer FD last year, had wanted to for sometime, and love it!!!

Im taking both Fire 1 and EMT-I this January, our dept is not paramedic service.

But, I am making a career change and am extremely excited about it!! Hoping I get into a Paramedic program in August and will look to get into the recruitment process in 2012.

Im 35, so I am hoping that having FireI/II and paramedic will provide me an opportunity to become a career FF/medic, do well on the testing and interview. Im thinking at my age, experience in volunteer and the dept not having to send me thru classes, will make me look more attractive, despite my age.....

Any advice or opinions would be greatley appreciated!!

Forum Member

welcome aboard from WI also

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rudydc View Post
    Im 35, so I am hoping that having FireI/II and paramedic will provide me an opportunity to become a career FF/medic, do well on the testing and interview. Im thinking at my age, experience in volunteer and the dept not having to send me thru classes, will make me look more attractive, despite my age.....

Any advice or opinions would be greatley appreciated!!

First good luck on the career goals and schooling. However, don't mislead yourself in believing your experience and certs will keep you from classes. As it is many depts ask for state FF certs as well as EMT, having paramedic does help your chances a bit more though. Bottom line is that depts are looking for the best fir for their dept, not necessarily the one with most years as a volunteer. For the most part your time with another dept really doesn't mean much because each dept has their way and techniques.

If looking to get hired your age will be a factor for some depts, Milwaukee comes to mind, but can be a non-issue on other depts, so keep options open. Your focus should really be on getting the certs, getting paramedic, ensure you can pass the written and physical tests, and work on your interview skills. Don't rely on your experience as a volunteer to really boost your chances, because in reality, the majority of those competing for the job will have the same stuff. If anything focus on the non-fire side of things that make you stand out.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Hi there from another Wisconsinite!

Forum Member

Welcome, i used to live in WI, great place.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Thread Information