Forum Member

Thumbs down Not sure where to post this... Thefirestore.com

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Forum Member

Sooooo, you're angry that you ordered something close to Christmas, didn't get it for Christmas, and they are a huge company that has never given you a problem before, but they overlooked the issue this time? Ok, guess you had to get it off your chest. Look, they're a huge retailer that does hundreds, if not thousands of transactions a day. I'm sure they didn't mean to overlook you but they did, or they may have called the wrong number and it didn't have a messaging service, who knows. If you don't like it, cancel your order and oder from somewhere else, otherwise, deal with it and wait on your stuff to get there.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I suspect the size of the retailer may be a bit overstated.

However...

During Christmas any retailer should know that the on time statements are going to be taken as a guarantee, and any deviation from that should be well documented with communication.

Forum Member

**** happens. Oh noes!
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Forum Member

They screwed the pooch on an order I placed on Dec. 14th. Although it had nothing to due with Christmas I called a couple of days ago to get it straightened out. We still do not have the equipment that was in stock. Maybe a few more days.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    they didn't handle it like I was hoping
    Does it occur to you that, just maybe, you have unrealistic expectations?

You waited until the last minute to order a Christmas gift online. It didn't show up through no fault of the vendor. Feces occurs.

Take a lesson from it: Waiting until the last minute -- even with a reliable vendor with a great track record -- is a gamble. You lost.

Let it go.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I have not had much trouble with them, but I did make an order early in December for the wifes package (wife shirt and wife sticker) and when it arrived it had mom on it haha. I was about to send it back and get the correct one, then decided to send that to my mom anyways and reordered a new shirt for my wife. This was probably the week before Christmas and they got me the new shirt in a few days. Much smaller an issue than yours but maybe proof that they are busy and missed stuff here and there.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Forum Member

How is it unrealistic?? They sent me a email saying that they could get it to me by a date they posted....
    Yep. They didn't hesitate receiving your money from your credit card. They put up a guarantee that you would receive your order before Christmas and didn't follow through. You have every right to be angry, especially at the salesperson for not checking stock on your item.
    IAFF

Forum Member

How is it unrealistic?? They sent me a email saying that they could get it to me by a date they posted....
    And they made a mistake at the busiest time of the year. It's not a big surprise nor a big deal. Cope with it. (And remember next time not to wait until the last minute to buy Christmas gifts for your "pops," if he's the least bit important to you.)

MembersZone Subscriber

You should have order your stuff sooner, and I bet next year you will take steps to prevent this incident from occurring.

That being said, They should not make statements and or guarantees that if you order x,y,z before this date ________, you will receive your items by this date. Yes it is the busy time of the year for sales, but if you cannot provide the service don't tell people you can.

Unrealistic expectations?
    Really? . . . . . . . .
    It's kind of like LA and his fire dept., people think that they are real FF's (says it on the side of their trucks "Fire Dept.") and that they will enter their residence, attempt to make a search and put the fire out, but when they arrive they just stand around in the yard and surround and drown.

If you tell someone you are going to do something, then you do it. If you don't you are either a liar or a fool for making promises that you can not keep.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Order date aside, I do wish they would give you a tracking number and they had a system to see if the item is backordered.

I recently purchased a streamlight from them just the one item in the order and nothing notified me that the item was on backorder. This was not a gift or anything like that, simply just wanted it for myself to replace my old light which is dead. I started wondering 2 weeks later why I haven't received it yet and went online and checked every email I had from them and nothing stated tracking number or orderstatus. I did finally recieve the item 3 days later but it nearly took 3 weeks for this product.

I did put in a purchase with them Christmas eve, and I was sent an email 2 days ago stating the order was on its way. I hope thefirestore.com does advance its customer service here in the near future because we all have enjoyed the techincal advances since filling out a paper order sheet and mailing it away with a money order and seeing the product a month later.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    If you tell someone you are going to do something, then you do it. If you don't you are either a liar or a fool for making promises that you can not keep.
    Or you just made a simple mistake. We're not talking life and death here; we're talking an unexpectedly out-of-stock item ordered 5 days before Christmas.

Should they have been more careful about making a promise that they couldn't deliver? Sure. They claim they attempted to make contact the day after the order was placed. Who knows if they did or didn't but, if you rush ordered something and expected it by the 23rd, would you wait until the 28th to follow up on it?

Is this really worth whining about on a (inter)national fire forum?

MembersZone Subscriber

15 messages. 9 different people. 3 with issues with the company.

enough for me to use a different vendor.

Forum Member

Then you go to check out and this 'massive' company doesn't even have the system to let them/the buyer know that the items you pick are not in stock..
    This is my single biggest issue with them as well.

I have ordered from them dozens of times either personally or through the department and for the most part, have no complaints. The staff is very friendly and it's not hard to get a human on the phone. They have a huge selection and great prices as well. They also process orders very quickly. They are in PA, i am in Mass and if i place on order over the weekend it's typically on my doorstep by the middle of the week.

That being said, their inventory system BLOWS. Their is nothing on their website that will tell you if what you ordering is in stock. The only way to know is to call them and ask. But if your going to call and ask if something is in stock, it defeats the whole purpose of online ordering.

I have had numerous issues with this problem. Just recently i ordered two items online. I got a confirmation email saying "My order" was shipped. 4 days later my order arrives missing one of the two items. The invoice says "Backordered" and their is not even any mention of for how long. I called them up and asked why i was not notified the item was not in stock because had they done that, i would have substituted the item with another brand. Their response: "I don't know why you did'nt get a message saying it was backordered" I had another issue where i called before placing my order online to make sure the items were in stock. I was told they were. I placed the order and i get a package a few days later missing one of the items. I call to find out what the deal was and i was told that item was being drop shipped AND it had a 14 day lead time. When that happened i posted a thread on here to complain and one of the owners of the company called me since based on the item, he was able to figure out who i was. He appoligized and told me they would fix the issues soon. I was grateful and that is why i still use them. But it would be nice if they could make the effort and integrate inventory into the online ordering process.

As for the thread starters problem, i have one question, did you pay extra to have Guaranteed UPS shipping such as 2 Day Air? If not, you have no right to complain. It makes no difference if the Fire Store failed to ship your items before Christmas since their would be no guarantee you would have them by then anyhow. UPS ground has no guarantee of delivery time. It can take 10 days.

Forum Member

Talking

Would you like some cheese to go with YOUR WHINE ????

You don't like their service: problem solved, no longer deal with them! Find some other vendor to cry about.

Forum Member

I ordered a helmet and a custom shield for Christmas on Monday and both were at my house on Thursday. That's good service in my book.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Would you like some cheese to go with YOUR WHINE ????

You don't like their service: problem solved, no longer deal with them! Find some other vendor to cry about.
    I don't mind the complaints being posted, it gives me an indication of what I should expect dealing with them if I chose to.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    This is my single biggest issue with them as well.

I have ordered from them dozens of times either personally or through the department and for the most part, have no complaints. The staff is very friendly and it's not hard to get a human on the phone. They have a huge selection and great prices as well. They also process orders very quickly. They are in PA, i am in Mass and if i place on order over the weekend it's typically on my doorstep by the middle of the week.

That being said, their inventory system BLOWS. Their is nothing on their website that will tell you if what you ordering is in stock. The only way to know is to call them and ask. But if your going to call and ask if something is in stock, it defeats the whole purpose of online ordering.

I have had numerous issues with this problem. Just recently i ordered two items online. I got a confirmation email saying "My order" was shipped. 4 days later my order arrives missing one of the two items. The invoice says "Backordered" and their is not even any mention of for how long. I called them up and asked why i was not notified the item was not in stock because had they done that, i would have substituted the item with another brand. Their response: "I don't know why you did'nt get a message saying it was backordered" I had another issue where i called before placing my order online to make sure the items were in stock. I was told they were. I placed the order and i get a package a few days later missing one of the items. I call to find out what the deal was and i was told that item was being drop shipped AND it had a 14 day lead time. When that happened i posted a thread on here to complain and one of the owners of the company called me since based on the item, he was able to figure out who i was. He appoligized and told me they would fix the issues soon. I was grateful and that is why i still use them. But it would be nice if they could make the effort and integrate inventory into the online ordering process.

As for the thread starters problem, i have one question, did you pay extra to have Guaranteed UPS shipping such as 2 Day Air? If not, you have no right to complain. It makes no difference if the Fire Store failed to ship your items before Christmas since their would be no guarantee you would have them by then anyhow. UPS ground has no guarantee of delivery time. It can take 10 days.
    I have expirienced the same issues when it comes to items being backordered. They have some improving to do in that department.

However, as a whole I feel this company is one of the best to deal with when it comes to fire services equipment. You will not find anyone else who has thier selection and as many items in stock as they do.

My advice would be this. If you are a Facebook user, find them on there and "like" the page. You will get notified of special offers and sales early and it also offers you a direct line to the owner. I have posted questions there before and usually have a response from Jim Whitmer within a few hours.

OP- Call and ask to speak to the owner, or take the Facebook route. Obviously the issue wasn't shipping- it was that they didn't have the items in stock to ship. They could have handled it better no doubt. Give them a chance to make it right.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe the owner could come on here, and explain how he is going to fix these issues. That would go a LONG way towards me trusting the company.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Maybe the owner could come on here, and explain how he is going to fix these issues. That would go a LONG way towards me trusting the company.
    I'll do my judging by my own experience. If I see something I want from there, I'll order it. If I get shafted, then **** on them. But I won't make judgements on them because of three people on here that have had issues, one of which had absolutely noo issues before making the mistake of ordering from them right before Christmas, even though they said it would be there before Christmas, that still doesn't guarantee it. I've had stuff from other places take longer than it said it would take to get to me before, some of it being my college books from my college book store, crap happens. Now, if it was a recurring problem, then yeah, I'd say there's a huge problem. But all the guys I know that have ordered stuff from the firestore have had minimal problems and it was taken care of quickly, though that was a while back. Like I said though, I'll judge from my own experiences when and if I order from them, not just based off of someone whom I don't know and their testimonial.

ljm
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    I'll do my judging by my own experience. If I see something I want from there, I'll order it. If I get shafted, then **** on them. But I won't make judgements on them because of three people on here that have had issues, one of which had absolutely noo issues before making the mistake of ordering from them right before Christmas, even though they said it would be there before Christmas, that still doesn't guarantee it. I've had stuff from other places take longer than it said it would take to get to me before, some of it being my college books from my college book store, crap happens. Now, if it was a recurring problem, then yeah, I'd say there's a huge problem. But all the guys I know that have ordered stuff from the firestore have had minimal problems and it was taken care of quickly, though that was a while back. Like I said though, I'll judge from my own experiences when and if I order from them, not just based off of someone whom I don't know and their testimonial.
    It is nice to hear testimonials from others though. While I agree if it is a one time issue it can be looked past, but if everybody hops on here and says they've had an issue with a specific company then I'm going to figure it's a systemic issue and look to do business else where. Not saying it is issue here, but I for one like to know how other people were treated by a company.

Thread Information