Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default career change help!!!!!

Hi guys my name is Bo, I'm 27 and from Annapolis MD. Right now I'm in the process of trying to start a new career as a firefighter. I was a radiological safety tech, not the job for me. So I tested for 2 entry level firefighter positions, both had around 3,000 people apply. I passed the written and the physical test but I think I was pass over for someone with more qualifications. Plus there are not very many fire jobs in Maryland. So I was thinking of going to the fire academy in Florida that offers both firefighter 1, 2 and EMT for $4,000. I am willing to relocate if it will help. What would be the best path for me.

Thanks

Forum Member

Yea, it is really difficult to get noticed out of 3000 people. Is there a volly dept. you can join locally? Those can help you a ton if you are interested. I wouldn't join a vol just to up my chances of getting hired though. They will read right through that. Join one for the right reasons and get some info. Having 1001-I-II is usually a huge bonus. EMT will also make yourself very marketable. If you had those you would drastically improve your odds. I think that's a little high for a price though. Maybe not since EMT is included. I am from MS and we have a great Academy with IFSAC 1001 but it is really difficult to get into a class right now. If you were on a volunteer department a lot of times you can get in some of the grant funded courses in rescue which will boost your qualifications. I received several hundred hours of technical training while I was a volunteer for free.

Thanks for the info. You might be right about joining a vol around my way to get experience. My only thing is that there are just too many people in my area trying to get fire jobs and I might never get a real shot at a job. So I was hoping I could move to an area where I might have a better chance, well at least a place where there are not three thousand people going for the same job.

Forum Member

Come on down the waters fine:::

http://www.trainingdivision.com/Testimonials.asp

Check weekly::::

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

Excuse the generic reply and cut and paste and troll like answer

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Forum Member

The reviews for the Central Florida Fire Academy are great, and I know a few people who have been there. One of my friends started as a paramedic and then became a fire fighter up north and did really well. When he moved here to Florida he got a job at the Reedy Creek fire department. After a few years he went to the fire academy to become a fire Marshall. He got a great education and now makes big bucks with the Reedy Creek FD.

Moving to FL for that school is a great idea, but just be aware that this state is like where you are from: butt load of people applying for one position. We also have a lot of EMS and FD people looking for jobs. I hope this helps. And good luck.

yea that helps, thanks for the info

It will be a lot of competition no matter where you go for the most part. There are a lot of people looking for a few positions all over the place. Get your name in the hat, start applying and learn the processes and what to look for and maybe you get lucky. While doing that though get your education EMT or paramedic and FF 1 and 2 helps. Take what you can. Some departments might not require it all but never the less it looks good that you took initiative and you can go through with training and finishing something you started. Good luck.

Forum Member

I know Nebraska isnt close but come to Southeast Community College in Lincoln. They offer EMT and Paramedic classes. They offer Fire 1, Fire 2, and much other certifications. They have there own separate building from the main building. The Fire building has a Fire tower and they have live fires. They have two engines we work with. I am enrolled now and we do a lot of hands on stuff. They have old cars we get to cut up, roofs we get to practice ventiliation with. Its a two year program but you can just go to specific classes and not get the degree. Another plus is they bring the certifiction testing sites to the college. So you don't have to go find a testing site. And you can test the same day with the classmates you were with all quarter. My Firefighting One class was three months long but a lot of fun. It's worth it. I enjoy Southeast a lot. Just a thought.

Thread Information