Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

Thread: Engine vs. bus

Forum Member

Default Engine vs. bus

This will make your blood pressure rise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjGzBnu9aXc
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

I am kinda surprised they kept as cool as they did. I liked the comment over the PA "Maybe you shouldn't be driving a bus".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

Sorry Capt... That to me was funny! The Ignorance is something to be laughed at

Forum Member

I hope they reported that. Why not back up and take the next block?
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have his arse.... One way or another....

Forum Member

I would have been LIVID.....

Did anyone else catch the FF saying something about a fatal fire w/an 8 year old? ..... Hope that really DID make it to the MTA as a complaint!

MembersZone Subscriber

Asked MTA/shared the link with them, curious to see if I get a response...

http://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...nduser/ask.php
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    Sorry Capt... That to me was funny! The Ignorance is something to be laughed at
    Yeah real funny, seeing how they were responding to a fire, hope nobody was in the building. I hope the mother friggin dumb@$$ sumbeach bus driver gets fired.

I sent in a complaint to MTA, though I don't live in NY, this is rediculous. I told them if I didn't get word back I'd file with the city themselves. Pretty sad when someone outside the city cares more than someone that works there.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-30-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Yeah real funny, seeing how they were responding to a fire, hope nobody was in the building. I hope the mother friggin dumb@$$ sumbeach bus driver gets fired.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you... When possible get out of the way, plain and simple but this jack off had nothing in front of him.

Back In Black

I think that was a buff bus...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I'm surprised non of the FF's tried pulling the driver out through the small window. What a dumbass.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I wouldn't have been surprised if hte rig had started PUSHING the bus....and was also waiting for the driver to be pulled out the window.....

hmm...just had a thought...anyone share this with local news yet?????

edited to add - just emailed the link to my local news station.....think the video might go viral???
    Last edited by pasobuff; 12-31-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Forum Member

Snow. Congested streets. And maybe some other circumstances that we know nothing about.

Not going to say anything except that we ask for the right of way, and there are times we don't get it.

Back to the culture of "we have to get there NOW".

We also don't know what they were running too. Based simply on the fact that the member who came up to the bus was not in SCBA, I would suspect it was not a fire (or would hope it wasn't a fire). So how critical was it that they got there quickly?

Sorry, but we have no idea of what was going on here beyond what we saw on the sceren.

Get on the radio. Tell dispatch and other companies you will be delayed. It happens.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 12-31-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Snow. Congested streets. And maybe some other circumstances that we know nothing about.

Not going to say anything except that we ask for the right of way, and there are times we don't get it.

We also don't know what they were running too. Based simply on the fact that the member who came up to the bus was not in SCBA, I would suspect it was not a fire (or would hope it wasn't a fire). So how critical was it that they got there quickly?

Sorry, but we have no idea of what was going on here beyond what we saw on the sceren.

Get on the radio. Tell dispatch and other companies you will be delayed. It happens.
    Oh schit, here we go again, you and your effin stupid @$$ crap. Look at the video, there was no traffic in front of the idiot driving the bus. There was no congestion either. The firefighter was even showing the moron where he could put his bus to get the hell out of the way. Of course God forbid you actually use any common sense whatsoever in your so called analysis of the situation. Do yuo disagree just tp **** people off? I mean come on, the video is obvius, there's not much there to leave a person guessing, except a total moron that is.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

That's because the culture of " we will get there later " hasn't worked out as well.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    That's because the culture of " we will get there later " hasn't worked out as well.
    Ba-zing........
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

SCORE!!!.....

Made it onto my local new station - http://watercooler.freedomblogging.c...-a-fire-truck/

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    SCORE!!!.....

Made it onto my local new station - http://watercooler.freedomblogging.c...-a-fire-truck/
    Nice!!!

Can't wait to hear more about this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Oh schit, here we go again, you and your effin stupid @$$ crap. Look at the video, there was no traffic in front of the idiot driving the bus. There was no congestion either. The firefighter was even showing the moron where he could put his bus to get the hell out of the way. Of course God forbid you actually use any common sense whatsoever in your so called analysis of the situation. Do yuo disagree just tp **** people off? I mean come on, the video is obvius, there's not much there to leave a person guessing, except a total moron that is.
    I have no ideas what was happening there, except that this video occurred in a city that doesn't deal with snow very well, and it sure all hell appears they had a hell of a lot of it at the moment.

I have been in those types of situations, and yes, they suck, but they happen. Advise dispatch or the responding IC of your situation, shut the dam siren down, and go and take a look at the situation. Sitting there running the siren and yelling over the PA isn't going to accomplish anything if they have nowhere to go or they can't decide where to go.

Most of the time it's really not that important if it takes us a few extra minutes to get there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    And we can also discuss how well trying to get there "now" has worked out recently in Houston, NY, Philly and CT, just to name a few, with fire trucks into fire trucks, fire trucks into cars, fire trucks into buildings, tankers rolling and POV fatalities. We won't even mention the hundreds of other apparatus accidents that have killed US, as well as those civilians that we are so sworn to protect, unless, seemingly they are on the highway.

Look at the runs. Getting there "now" is often not especially important.

Forum Member

I have no ideas what was happening there, except that this video occurred in a city that doesn't deal with snow very well, and it sure all hell appears they had a hell of a lot of it at the moment.
    Yeah, NY City doesn't deal with snow very well, they just get it every year and deal with it just fine. How do you know this, did you work there?

I have been in those types of situations, and yes, they suck, but they happen. Advise dispatch or the responding IC of your situation, shut the dam siren down, and go and take a look at the situation. Sitting there running the siren and yelling over the PA isn't going to accomplish anything if they have nowhere to go or they can't decide where to go.

Perhaps yo missed the firefighter that was standing beside the bus driver SHOWING HIM WHERE TO GO TO GET OUT OF THE WAY. And no, there doesn't seem to be a lot going on in that video, there are hardly any cars on the street except the ones parked, in parking spaces.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of the time it's really not that important if it takes us a few extra minutes to get there.
    I guess if all you are going to do is make an exterior attack and hope you might save a foundation, you would be correct.

MembersZone Subscriber

And we can also discuss how well trying to get there "now" has worked out recently in Houston, NY, Philly and CT, just to name a few, with fire trucks into fire trucks, fire trucks into cars, fire trucks into buildings, tankers rolling and POV fatalities. We won't even mention the hundreds of other apparatus accidents that have killed US, as well as those civilians that we are so sworn to protect, unless, seemingly they are on the highway.

Look at the runs. Getting there "now" is often not especially important.

Getting to the store to get a donut has not worked out well for some people driving their car. Your point is?

Forum Member

Yeah, NY City doesn't deal with snow very well, they just get it every year and deal with it just fine. How do you know this, did you work there?

I lived north of NYC and every winter would the videos on the local news of how the smallest snowfall paralyzed the city.

And yes, I was there during a whooping 6" snowfall, and saw what happened to the city.

It was funny because my city dealt pretty well with the conditions.

By the way, I have operated for years in areas that received far more snow than NYC ever will, and I understand what it does to an operation, including response times. I also know what can be done to minimize it's effects.

Again, I couldn't see enough of what was happening down the street to make a judgment. It's quite possible that things were so tied up out of the limited picture that we saw that the bus wasn't the main part of the problem.

Again, there are times when our response will be delayed. It's the times when we try to press the response that bad things often happen.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 12-31-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Getting to the store to get a donut has not worked out well for some people driving their car. Your point is?
    So we do what we can do to modify the risks by slowing down, stopping fully at all stop signs and red lights and slowing down significantly at all green to confirm intersection is clear, among other safe driving practices.

The vast majority of our runs do not require a rapid response.

Our only concern should be the safety of our members and a slower, safer response, and we should be doing everything in our power to ensure that happens, all the time, no matter the call.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

Thread Information