Default Schooling once your a career ff.

SO I was wondering how a firefighter would take medic training once your working a 24 on 48 off schedule. Do the departments let you take the days off to go to class for 14 months without holding it against you or what?

Forum Member

Most medic schools are set up around work schedules. You can always swap days and pay others to cover your school time.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

It depends on the department. For us, if it's required training, we get paid OT if it's on our day off and we get replaced if it's on a scheduled on-duty day.

Training nit-pick: "you're" not "your"

Yes, it matters.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

What state are you in?????

Sorry for the generic troll question

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkingery2 View Post
    SO I was wondering how a firefighter would take medic training once your working a 24 on 48 off schedule. Do the departments let you take the days off to go to class for 14 months without holding it against you or what?

Most career departments around my location, will send you to the class for paramedic, if they want you to be certified in that. You still receive you normal pay every other friday.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Most larger departments around here will allow you to attend class on the clock and cover your shift.

Works the same way for fire-related training.

I'm in Indiana, thanks for the help fellows.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Our department pays for your education, and will go to huge lengths to make sure that you get off for class in case class falls on a work day. We do NOT, however, pay for members to go on their days off. Their justification is that once you're a cleared ALS provider, you get a 15% raise, so that'll probably make up for it.

A neighboring department started a program a couple of years ago that pulls members out of the field, and they go to ALS school 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for three-to-four months, and then they're sent back to their stations for precepting.

Keep in mind that we have very aggressive standing protocols that not only allow our intermediates to practice the same as a paramedics (chricothoronomy aside), but we don't have to call for orders on anything in the most rare of occasions: I've called for orders once in the past decade.

Back to the original question, I know of a department about 75 miles to the east of us that pays their members overtime to attend every hour of ALS class and precepting time too...pretty good deal there if you ask me!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

We work the 48/96 schedule so it might be similar, how I have seen FFs make it through Medic School (makes me want to throw-up when I type that, just kidding) is with Time Trades for those days you work and have School. If there are days where nobody is available to trade with you, burn time.

One of my FFs just got accepted into Medic School so we made arrangements for him to temporarily transfer to a Station that is super slow and an hour closer to School. As a C.O. I highly encourage furthering ourselves.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkingery2 View Post
    For my department, if you test and are chosen to attend medic school you will be taken out of "combat" and put on "days" until you complete medic school.

For us, the first semester is all classroom and the second semester is all clinicals. We usually have our firefighters back after 9 months.

If a FF chooses to go on his own and not be sponsored by the department, it is 100% on his own...trades and vacation time are utilized so they are able to attend.

Thread Information