Forum Member

Default Department Yearbooks....

My EMS department recently was persuaded into doing a yearbook photo shoot. The company was Excalibur Marketing out of Atlanta. My wife and I both decided to participate and use the pictures of us together as Christmas card photos.

After taking our pictures, we were assured that our order ($220) would be delivered in plenty of time for Christmas. As time grew closer and our pictures were not where to be found, we began calling and calling and calling, only to get "voice messaging system is full."

Our pictures finally arrived on December 23rd, we realized we made a HUGE mistake in ordering from this company. Our pictures are printed on the thinest paper ever created. I can literally hold it up to the computer screen and still read whats on the computer. The CD we ordered doesnt have the pictures we selected. The picture frame that was ordered to come with our department photo and patch is no where to be found. We were supposed to get a patch to go in said frame, we got a photo copy of the patch.

I warn you and your department against using this company. Do not make the same mistake we did. http://www.excaliburmktg.com/

Forum Member

You deal with some nobody company and you get what you get. Nothing!

How did you decide to go with this company? What is one that is well known or had the cheapest prices??

You guys should have used a better company.

http://www.mtpublishing.com/

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You deal with some nobody company and you get what you get. Nothing!

How did you decide to go with this company? What is one that is well known or had the cheapest prices??

You guys should have used a better company.

http://www.mtpublishing.com/

REREAD the post. His department picked that company. Most departments are not rolling in cash like yours. They usually take the cheapest bid.
    FF/Paramedic

Back In Black

Whoever heard of a yearbook... nice idea, I guess.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    REREAD the post. His department picked that company. Most departments are not rolling in cash like yours. They usually take the cheapest bid.

The cheapest bid isn't always the best. Like buying a KME or E-One!!!

You are going to have a yearbook or history book, a lot of research is needed before hand. Find out who has had books made by various companies. Look at their work not a photo on a web site. In other words get some of their books and see what the quality is and what else they provide. Make a contract, get what you want in writing and hold them to it!

We just did a history book and all the coast was borne by the members ordering the book. The book was X dollars for X number of books. Yes the department book some for the offices and city officials, but that is all the money they put in, the rest was from pre sales!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Whoever heard of a yearbook... nice idea, I guess.
    The large career department my wife dispatches for just released their 4th yearbook, they do one every 10 years, it's neat to see the members not only become more "seasoned," but also those who go through the ranks (or don't!).

My department is putting together our first yearbook as we speak.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

The company had just finished doing a shoot for the fire department here and persuaded our administration to do the shoot next. Using smoke and mirrors they oooohed and ahhhed the office people with photos of other departments. Now the entire group people who ordered are unhappy with the product provided. BBB says the information for that company is being updated, but as soon as it permits we are lodging complaints.

I would have much rather have had one of the several local companies do this, as Im sure they have the capabilities but lacked the idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

To the OP, the BBB is ok, but recently seems to have become a "pay to play" participant - if a company pays enough, they get a good rating. If I were in your shoes, I'd be contacting my state's attorey general. From your username, sounds like this company may be out of state, so I'd call the Georgia AG as well. Their conduct may not truly be criminal, as you did receive photos etc., but it does sound borderline anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    The cheapest bid isn't always the best. Like buying a KME or E-One!!!
    Some of the best trucks we have are '95 and '96 KMEs. 15 years of HARD urban service and still do better than some newer trucks. I'd rather be on a 15 year old KME than a lot of other trucks in our fleet, including Seagrave.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

We contacted our credit card company for a refund. They are investigating and will let us know, but it looks like we will be getting at least a portion of our payment back. Which is better than nothing. Hopefully them being contacted by someone who will take money from them will motivate them to stop screwing around.

I agree with you about the older trucks being more reliable. A department I used to volunteer for had a 57 that was just recently passed on to another department. Now the truck wasn't used for much of anything, but the pump worked great and helped with ISO.

Thread Information