1. #26
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Post of the year.
    And it's only the second, who'd a thunk???

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  2. #27
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Honestly, does it really matter? Oftentimes Chiefs get 24/7/365 use of a department car as a "perk" because they're expected to respond to all major emergencies whenever they occur. As long as they're provided with appropriate emergency lights and audibles to respond in emergency mode if necessary, what difference does it make if they're immediately recognizable as the fire chief?
    As for a "perk", that is fine, as long as you don't abuse it. I only have a problem with it when he takes it out of town (documented for personal use, not FD related), or for family/personal use. This is a City vehicle, and should only be used for FD needs. As for making runs in it, he was on scene 3 times the whole of 2010. Yet racked up over 14,000 miles. If it had decals and striped as the B/C buggies are, it wouldn't have the mileage abuse it has.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  3. #28
    MembersZone Subscriber
    BULL321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western, NC
    Posts
    3,432

    Default

    The Chief and both Assistant Chiefs have "take home" cars. Other than the Chief's Expo, the other two cars are old patrol cars which were hand me downs from the pd. All three of the vehicles are striped and have light bars.
    Stay Safe
    Bull


    “Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

    Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

  4. #29
    Forum Member
    DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    This is a City vehicle, and should only be used for FD needs.
    That's a contract issue between the City and the chief. Honestly, I don't think it has any bearing on whether or not the vehicle needs to be marked.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  5. #30
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    That's a contract issue between the City and the chief. Honestly, I don't think it has any bearing on whether or not the vehicle needs to be marked.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to butt heads with you, I like you. But with the abusive use of the vehicle, I feel that it should be marked as a FD vehicle. It also isn't a contract issue with the City and the Chief. The Chief did not want any FD or other decals on it when he got it. To make sure he had FD credentials, we gave him magnetic FD decals to display when he was to run hot. He has yet to use them. I have a problem with that. Especially if he is to run with lights and siren as the Fire Chief.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  6. #31
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to butt heads with you, I like you. But with the abusive use of the vehicle, I feel that it should be marked as a FD vehicle. It also isn't a contract issue with the City and the Chief. The Chief did not want any FD or other decals on it when he got it. To make sure he had FD credentials, we gave him magnetic FD decals to display when he was to run hot. He has yet to use them. I have a problem with that. Especially if he is to run with lights and siren as the Fire Chief.

    FM1
    Just something to consider, if the vehicle is being used for personal reasons, it needs to be claimed on the users taxes.... if it is, then I don't know that its wrong.

    I have a company car and I have to claim the personal use of the vehicle. I am allowed to use the vehicle as I want.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  7. #32
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Just something to consider, if the vehicle is being used for personal reasons, it needs to be claimed on the users taxes.... if it is, then I don't know that its wrong.

    I have a company car and I have to claim the personal use of the vehicle. I am allowed to use the vehicle as I want.
    Sorry Chief, but I do not have an answer for you on that. More than likely, he does not. But that's just a good hunch. Take it as you will.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  8. #33
    Forum Member
    EngineCO38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Windham County, Vermont
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Well looking at it from the Vollunteer point of view, I don't really see the need for our chief to mark his personal Vehicle. Besides, with the light bar, attenna's and the Fire Chief plate on the front, its pretty easy to figure out exactly who he is. Our chief is also a Full time paid chief, but still uses his own vehicle. He is reimbursed by the town for fuel, and keeps track of his miles.

    As for career Departments, the three closest to us all use marked vehicles for their Chief Officers. Our closest career dept has a late 90's Expidition, the only markings on it are a town crest on the front doors. And his radio designation on the front fenders. The AC drives a 2000 Dodge Dakota that's completely striped and marked. Both of these vehicles are take home vehicles, and the Chief's use them to respond to calls if need be, attend trainings or any other Dept. Function.

    I agree that career Dept's should be marking their vehicles, I think its good for the town to see their Fire Chief's out and about doing their daily duties.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

  9. #34
    Forum Member
    DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    To make sure he had FD credentials, we gave him magnetic FD decals to display when he was to run hot. He has yet to use them. I have a problem with that. Especially if he is to run with lights and siren as the Fire Chief.
    I don't mean to butt heads either but, if this was to be anybody's problem, wouldn't it be the problem of someone higher up on the totem pole than the chief?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  10. #35
    Forum Member
    DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EngineCO38 View Post
    I agree that career Dept's should be marking their vehicles, I think its good for the town to see their Fire Chief's out and about doing their daily duties.
    What about when they're out trying to take their family to the movies or the wife to dinner? Remember, many career chiefs get 24/7/365 use of a "company car" as part of their benefit package just like any other company executive.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  11. #36
    Forum Member
    EngineCO38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Windham County, Vermont
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    What about when they're out trying to take their family to the movies or the wife to dinner? Remember, many career chiefs get 24/7/365 use of a "company car" as part of their benefit package just like any other company executive.
    Honestly if it does come to that, and somebody complains. Wouldn't their complaits be addressed rather quickly? If its in their contract, and they are not abusing their contract most reasonable folks would accept and understand that fact. Unreasonable folks may make a stink, but again if its in the chief officers contract than the complaintant really has no leg to stand on.

    I just think its good public image to have the Chief Vehicle marked. But maybe that doesn't work everywhere, so to each their own I suppose
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

  12. #37
    MembersZone Subscriber
    BULL321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western, NC
    Posts
    3,432

    Default

    Most dept. heads don't have marked cars, Example Police Chiefs and The Sheriff. So why would/should the Fire Chief? Our Chief's Take home vehicle is marked up like the rest of the vehicles, nothing special, but it was his choice. Sometimes its nice to be the boss.
    Stay Safe
    Bull


    “Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

    Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

  13. #38
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Honestly, does it really matter? Oftentimes Chiefs get 24/7/365 use of a department car as a "perk" because they're expected to respond to all major emergencies whenever they occur. As long as they're provided with appropriate emergency lights and audibles to respond in emergency mode if necessary, what difference does it make if they're immediately recognizable as the fire chief?
    Good answer,it DOESN'T. Ours AREN'T and there isn't a Dept for 50 miles that doesn't know ON SIGHT either the Boss's or my vehicles. T.C.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. North Port Fla--Fire Dept. Gets 2nd Deputy Chief
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register