Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Knifes and Multitools

Looking to get a multiool and knife anyone have any recommendations? Looked at fire store and they have a lot... Does leather man have a firefighter model? I see they have military for fixing guns... Thanks!

Check out www.thefirestore.com great selection and service. Quick delivery!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHU93 View Post
    Looking to get a multiool and knife anyone have any recommendations? Looked at fire store and they have a lot... Does leather man have a firefighter model? I see they have military for fixing guns... Thanks!
    Get something that fits you. For the most part and multi-tool will function fine for what you are going to use it for around the station, etc.

If you are looking for a more firefighter geared tool, something like the channel lock multi-tool, get it. However, such a tool is bigger and intended for fireground use, not really the same thing as a multi tool.

If looking for a knife, you can also find one pretty cheap, a serrated blade works fine for many uses you may encounter. Both a knife and multi-tool you may find at a local hardware store or home improvement store.

Just remember the rig should be carrying most essential tools you will be needing for any fireground job.
    Last edited by jccrabby3084; 01-01-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Yes I am looking for a knife and tool to carry on calls and is safe while on the fire ground...

Forum Member

Default multi tools

Best firefighter tool is Smith & Wesson seatbelt blade with spring loaded ***** punch.

Forum Member

For a knife I highly recommend a spring assissted style openner....easy to use with one hand and with gloves on.....there are many such knives out there that include a glass punch as well as seat belt cutter.....they are not expensive (although you could spend alot if you want to) and most are 440 stainless....you'll find one for less than $15 easily. I figure it is an easy replacement if lost, but certainly a value to have in your pants pocket.

I like Gerber for their multi-tool......I like the way the jaws slide out rather than having to swing open with two hands like a leatherman does.

I am sure there are numerous suggestions....just find something that is comfortable, lightweight, stainless and easy for YOU to use.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013 at 12:10 PM.

I've yet to have an issue with my Leatherman Wave. I've put it through plenty of hard work, both in the Marines and in the fire service. Getting to the blades with a flick of the thumb and not having to unfold the tool is basically a necessity. I checked Leatherman's site, and there are a few they consider "emergency tools". Here's the link:

http://www.leatherman.com/products/findfamily/Emergency

None are truly specific to fire/EMS, but they'd all find a use.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Go to K-Mart, Cabellas, Gander Mountain, or any similar store and buy a multi-tool and a knife. It is the same as you would buy from a fire supplier for a whole lot less money.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Default I love my gerber hinderer rescue knife!

Seriously...I got the basic rescue knife from Academy...it was $20 less than firestore.com...and I used the heck out of the oxygen key.

Yeah I cut a seatbelt here and there...but having an o2 key on your knife in your pocket is just convenient.

I just got the CLS (combat life safer) version...its basically the same knife...just all black and with a point on the end instead of the stubby version on the red one.

All in all...it's been a great tool...and by far my favorite knife.

Good luck,

B Frame

If you're getting a multi-tool, get a good quality item. I've gotten some as handouts at trade shows and they were just short of dangerous, in no small part because they lacked any sort of latching system.

More importantly, get something you're going to use. No sense carrying around a toolbox if all you're ever going to use is the screwdriver and pliers...

If you're not sure what you need, maybe you should pick this one up...

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

And do you research and get American (100%) made
    ?

Leatherman Wave
    As stated above, easy open blade on outside of body, stands up to alot of abuse.....due for a new set of plier heads after a tough 5 years of use

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

i strongly suggest a "6 in 1" screwdriver tool.

the screwdrivers are obviously useful. the nut drivers will come in handy more often than you could imagine.

it is also very important to have the knife but i find i use the driver more often.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

A basic Leatherman and a set of wire cutters is all you need.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    i strongly suggest a "6 in 1" screwdriver tool.

the screwdrivers are obviously useful. the nut drivers will come in handy more often than you could imagine.

it is also very important to have the knife but i find i use the driver more often.

Is this SAE or Metric???
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I carry a $12 Husky multi-tool. Its just a leatherman clone, and an $8 pocket knife. After losing some really nice ones, I decided it would be better to just buy cheap ones, and replace more often. I've used the husky multitool quite a bit, never failed me.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

On my radio strap I have a Leatherman so I always have it with me regardless of whether I'm in a fire, on an ems call, or working around the station.

I have two of the Houdini Pro knives that I keep on my gear (one each at paid and vollie houses) with the seatbelt cutter/window punch.

I always make sure to have a backup so in my gear I always am sure to have a decent throwaway knife ($15 or so) and a good window punch.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Is this SAE or Metric???
    i use SAE.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

I always carry a blunt tip serrated blade knife clipped at the top of a pocket. Their is no real practical need to have a knife with a sharp tip as a rescue knife. The disadvantges of injuring yourself or someone else are just not worth it. And i learned long ago to spend as little as possible so when it gets lost or damaged it's not a big deal. Ebay has several vendors selling surprisingly good quality folding and locking knives with blunt tips and serrations that will cut through rope and webbing with ease. Many versions have seat belt cutters built in. Most of these knives can be had for $10.00 or less. I have bought many as gifts as well as for myself. I can vouch that the quality is more then fine for a utility knife.

I always carry one of the replaceable blade Husky knives for those times when i need a sharp point for cutting objects on the surface.

Thread Information