Thread: Afghan???

Forum Member

Default Afghan???

Who holds the Afghan contrats now?

Forum Member

Default Afghanistan jobs

The last information that i had was that the two big players in Afghanistan are Dyncorp and ITT. KBR has a couple of Inspectors from all reports in Kandahar.

Forum Member

ATCO/Frontec Europe, a Canadian ran company has the contract at Kandahar Airfield. Was at their firehouse on the airfield last week. Dep. Chief told me they have the contract until Dec 2012. At my FOB, it is DynCorp. It all depends on where you want to go. ATCO pays $65,000/yr for EXPAC 3's (Americans, Canadians, Brits, Aussies etc) with a paid month off every 3 months. Spoke to a LT in Kuwait, says he's getting $130,000/yr with ITT taking that contract in FEB. 2 wks off every 6 months.

Forum Member

Bignozzlepumper I sent you a PM, not sure if it went through or not.

Forum Member

I contacted a woman from ATCO to ask her about my application and she told me that she was sorry for not getting back to me on that, that she figured that the pay was to low and that I wouldn't of wanted the job. Really, I think she should of let me decide that!

MembersZone Subscriber

jmason66,

What ever ended up happening with you and ATCO? If anyone else has info on ATCO and what firefighting at Kandahar Airfield is like that would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

I was offered a firefighter position with ATCO a while back, but they pay was only 40K a year with 6 months on-1 month home-6 months on. The reason the pay was so low, is because they filled their contract staffing levels in December. I declined.

Forum Member

vandalff, the samething that happened to 50. They have went up on pay alittle due to the sudden need for ff, but it is getting ready to go back down. It just isnt worth all the crap you have to go threw for that very low pay

Forum Member

The last offer Atco sent me was 37,000 US. I thought it was a typo!

Forum Member

haha yeah when they gave me a offer, I wrote him back and asked if that was correct and they said yes, I told them that I can make that much here in the states! and what makes it worse is that you still pay taxes on it

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd be interested to know why they fluctuate so much and why it is so much less than the other four super power contractors in the area over there. Jmason66 are you saying you pay taxes on it because you are in the states enough to pay taxes or is there something i'm missing. Kandahar Airfield doesn't seem to shabby at all and depending on the pay that they give on the given day you talk to them maybe it would be worth it. I've read alot of different posts on contract terms some sound good and some sound bad. One vacation time was 3 months there 1 month off...thats not bad at all.

Forum Member

yeah thats why you end up paying taxes is because you have got to stay out of the states for 330 days. I have a few friends in kandahar and leaving to go there on sunday with ITT and they are making 156k give or take a few grand between each of them, but they say kandahar sucks something bad and if they wasnt making what they made they would be back here.ATCO has a lot of turnover for that reason.

MembersZone Subscriber

It looks like they are hiring again. I wonder why they pay less than itt, dyncorp, kbr and sallyport? Kandahar airfield looks like it is pretty developed though.

Forum Member

Guys, one of the greatest benefits of working overseas is the opportunity to travel abroad. You are half way or closer to some of the best places to travel to. The three years I was contracting I went back stateside probably 3 times. Just because you get 30 days of vacation quarterly doesn't mean that you've gotta go back to the states. Get out and see the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Johnny I couldn't agree more with the traveling aspect. To me that is the best part. The experience of the desert and pay come second. However having student loans that I want to pay off I want to find a job that would allow me to pay off my debt and enjoy traveling for a year hopefully one of these works out and I get a call soon.

Forum Member

Wow. that company contracting for ATCO is now offering $38,000. They have must of gotten a flood on people applying. But funny how they jump 30K in a short period of time

MembersZone Subscriber

Company recruiting for ATCO? I thought you said 38k was what was offered before?

Forum Member

no at one time they offered 65k

MembersZone Subscriber

For 30k a yr you could get tax free money and also risk getting blown away... Sounds like a great offer..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFDownSouth View Post
    For 30k a yr you could get tax free money and also risk getting blown away... Sounds like a great offer..
    Yeah wotta deal !

"When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

Anyone on here with Dyncorps?

Two of my army guys are looking to get on with them, but they are wondering about the pay.

If anyone can clue me in, i'd really appreciate it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Anyone on here with Dyncorps?

Two of my army guys are looking to get on with them, but they are wondering about the pay.

If anyone can clue me in, i'd really appreciate it.
    Are your guys municipal, DoD, Military or Volunteers?
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fallujahff View Post
    Are your guys municipal, DoD, Military or Volunteers?
    Right now they are active duty Military. One is separating in June the other in Sept. Both are 12m's (FF MOS)

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say go for it--Former military do really well (they are already used to the deployments) and the pay is way out there compared to what they are used to. If I was 20 and did not have kids, I would still be out there.

--Thornton Wilder

Thread Information