Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Tanker Dump valves

We are just starting the process of specing a new tanker, question is does any one have any experince with a Newton dump valve fitted with a swivel chute and an exteition chute. We're trying to stay with one manual dump valve insted of three. less to go wrong. We're located in northern lower Michigan where hauling water this time of year can be a problem. My concern is will the swivel and extention still work after freezing up between loads. I've seen this happen to automatic side and rear dumps but never a manual one.

We have 3 Newton valves on our tanker. All are electric and 2 have electric extensions and the rear is manual. We did this so that the valves and side extensions could be run completely by the driver. This saves us from having to have a ground person try to get between the tank and the truck (safety) and allows us to operate the tanker with just a driver (limited manpower). We have never had a problem with the valves or the extensions freezing in the winter. The coldest we have done this was about 5 degrees. The warmth of the tank (2,000 gallons of water takes a while to freeze) will keep the valves from freezing. The design of the chute does not allow enough water to remain in the chute to freeze it in place where the actuator cannot break it free.

The manual extension is our rear dump. We have that built into our rear compartment. We try not to use that because we feel that backing into a portable pond is more dangerous and slower than pulling next to one. We realize that it is sometimes necessary, so that is why we have it.

Another consideration, make sure that you have tank level gauges on the pump panel, next to the direct fills, and in the cab. This way the driver, pump operator, and person at the fill site all know how full the tank is.

Forum Member

I would think that once you dump your load, you would be able to swing the extension out of the way before it froze.

I have sold several tankers with this same set up that you inquired about and I haven't heard of any problems with freezing.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

the dump valve in the picture is a seagrave built swivel that was added to the newton valve we have had the seagrave design for about 10 years with no problems this will dump a 12000 liter truck in about 3 min. depending on your tank venting we have the newton swivel with the sliding extenions on another tanker and have had no problems with freezing in eastern Ontario

MembersZone Subscriber

Only issue I have with the unit we have is that the bugger is LONNNG. Issue not only in overall length of the truck. "Ground clearance" can be an issue. If the tanker dump spot is not level to the foldatank you can have a problem. Such as on a "backin" where the nose of the tanker is uphill on a driveway, the end of the chute may end up below the top of the portatank. Have had to place 4x8 blocks under the tanker rear wheels. If your portatank is 30" make sure the bottom of the chute is significantly higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Banks6610 View Post
    We are just starting the process of specing a new tanker, question is does any one have any experince with a Newton dump valve fitted with a swivel chute and an exteition chute. We're trying to stay with one manual dump valve insted of three. less to go wrong. We're located in northern lower Michigan where hauling water this time of year can be a problem. My concern is will the swivel and extention still work after freezing up between loads. I've seen this happen to automatic side and rear dumps but never a manual one.
    We have three air-operated dump valves on our 2007 Pete 2500/1000 pumper/tender; Rear, left side, right side. We have noticed that once they are fully extended, the weight of the water bends the chutes at the gasket of the 2nd stage. This causes water to leak through. We haven't had any problems during the winter with freezing but I'm pretty worried that eventually we will. The issue with the chutes freezing is simple. The butterfly valve will not shut unless the 2nd stage retracts and if it is frozen, water will continue to flow. This shouldn't be an issue because our tanks that we dump into are 500 gallons more than the trucks capacity, but in certain situations you may be dumping only fractions of your water, and would need to be able to close the tank valves. My recommendation is to stick with a manual dump valve and a straight chute with an extension that you can slide onto the end like our 1981 Mack 1500/500.

Forum Member

Thank you to everyone that responded to my question. We took delivery of two CSI 2000 gallon tankers last summer, each fitted with a Newton manual dump valve, swivel and exteition chute. Works great.

Thread Information