+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread: Nashville Clan

Forum Member

Post Nashville Clan

Those that are planning to attend the Nashville AFG Super Summit sign in here. Tell us if you attended either Reno '09, Tampa '10.

I will be there:
    Brian Brooks
    Whitehall, NY
    Tampa '10

Forum Member

I'm coming straight from Mardi Gras this year (who planned this thing anyway?) and not sure if I'll get a chance to sober up.

Reno in '09
    Tampa in '10
    Nashville...here we come.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll be there it looks like.

Reno '09

MembersZone Subscriber

I will be in attendance, first super summit for me.

esd
    Forum Member

Default Nashville Super Summit

I'll be there.

Reno-->Tampa-->Nashville!

-Rob

Woodside Fire

MembersZone Subscriber

A reminder to all who anticipate attending. Get pre-registered now, we are only about 60 days out: http://firstrespondergrants.com/page..._view/class/24

Looks like we will have a lot of 3-peats attending from the those received already. Going to be a good one, don't miss it.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Kurt,
    Will you take walk ups? Not going to need the room but still haggling over the cost with the higherups. It might be a last minute thing for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Hey Kurt,
    Will you take walk ups? Not going to need the room but still haggling over the cost with the higherups. It might be a last minute thing for me.
    I'll call you Warren should not be a problem
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Hey Kurt,
    I actually didn't have to fight too hard this year as opposed to Reno. Reno paid off with over $85K and this year another almost $70K. They figured it was worth the investment.

I'm sure the success rate of over 90% is a good way of reinforcing the investment.

Forum Member

Angry I know the word

Even with getting every imaginable expense covered for grant training, including the training and grant management expenses so my department is actually in the plus column. Yes, I arranged it so my department actually made money be sending me to grants training, that they are actually balking on sending me this year!

This is a department that was so desperate, that they were practically placing standing orders for any used equipment being given away or put up for auction. The new members were embarrased to train alongside departments with newer equipment. Now they're training in Globes and the only department with complete wildland PPE and equipment. Even GPS in the apparatus, new pagers, radios, etc.

It reminds me of those old political sayings where what you need is given to you instead of working for it. I forgot what the word was for not seeing the benefit of continuing with whats been successfully working for you in the past. Oh, I remember.... STUPID!
    Last edited by jam24u; 01-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Forum Member

Jim, don't get discouraged. After bringing in over a million dollars in grants to my station, I've found that once they feel they have everything in need, you're no longer as valuable!

MembersZone Subscriber

I feel for both of you, been there done that, got the shirt also. I think a better choice of words is ...IGNORANT! Its amzing how quickly they forget what it was like to be destitute or that part of being a professional agency or a steward of tax payer money is also being fiscally repsonsible and financially prudent.

Paying 100%, for anything, when you can pay 20% or less is fiscally irresponsible ( my wife reminds me of that everyday when she goes to WalMart or cuts the food coupons out of the Sunday paper). I have marched before a public county commisssion meeting ( timing and choosing the battleground is important), as a private citizen, to protest tax hikes and publically asked them ,on the record, why they would allow any agency head to pay 100% of the cost vs 20%. A million dollar tax hike to fund new SCBAs that were available within the cost of their current budget at only $200K if they would get off their behinds and apply for the grants ( which they had not even done for over 5 years). The gavel had to bang 5 times to bring the room back to order from the joint concensus of the citizens in the audience wanting an answer to that question. You know what the number one reason for a public safety agency head being replaced is? Fiscal irresponsibility!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

I will be attending and will be writing for a fitness program and aerial. Looking forward to working for and with the group this year

Bryan Tello Kansasville Fire and Rescue reno 09, tampa 10, and nash 11

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Jim, don't get discouraged. After bringing in over a million dollars in grants to my station, I've found that once they feel they have everything in need, you're no longer as valuable!
    Feel your pain there. I haven't brought in a million yet but well on the way. I still trying to convience my board. Let's see they have spent about 3K on me so far and I've brought in over 500K in 4 years. Show me a bank with that kind of return. They think I'm using this as a vacation that their paying for. If it wouldn't be for the volunteers and the community I'd say the h*ll with it.

If all goes well I'll see you all there. Reno, Tampa and hopefully Tenn. Hey Mark are you going? Hope to see you there.

Forum Member

Default Nashville 2011

I am planning to be there.... I attanded Reno but was unable to attend Tampa....

Marc

Forum Member

nice to hear, I'm not the only one who has lost value. still hoping for nashville. my attendence depends on another performance, i believe. course i could have lots of lazy days coming if it doesnt happen.
    sandy tampa 10

MembersZone Subscriber

I've got one board member that's arguing the point that I've been doing a good enough job that I don't need to go to these conferences. I've been trying to reinforce that these conferences are what's keeping me informed.

The sad thing is that I'm half his DNA.

Forum Member

Question

I was told I would have an answer next week. Surprises me that after extrication equipment, HazMat testing equipment, a station generator, 3 laptop computers and SCBA that they are still questioning the expense. They don't even have to pay the whole trip, the neighboring dept is splitting the cost after I got them SCBA last year and it looks like an engine this year.

Have been ready to give up on this. I shouldn't have to fight so hard just to be able to help my city.

Reno '09, Tampa '10

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I've got one board member that's arguing the point that I've been doing a good enough job that I don't need to go to these conferences. I've been trying to reinforce that these conferences are what's keeping me informed.

The sad thing is that I'm half his DNA.
    Catch22 I feel your pain guy. That's like subscribing to the theory that 1997 edition SCBA is still "good enough". Its very easy for all of them to forget that 4 years ago there was $540 million in this program compared to $330 million now, and the fact that people who have never applied for the grant programs belfore are now also scramblingto compete for these funds.
    Kurt Bradley

esd
    Forum Member

Good news from Woodside, CA:

Got the 10Q for our 2010 OPS and award notice. They have approved it, fully funded, no reductions. Federal Share is $86,461 for extrication tools/rescue airbags.

Thanks again to Kurt and all of you Tampa folks, as usual the super summit help has been instrumental in our continued success.

-Rob, Woodside, CA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by esd View Post
    Good news from Woodside, CA:

Got the 10Q for our 2010 OPS and award notice. They have approved it, fully funded, no reductions. Federal Share is $86,461 for extrication tools/rescue airbags.

Thanks again to Kurt and all of you Tampa folks, as usual the super summit help has been instrumental in our continued success.

-Rob, Woodside, CA
    Outstanding Rob see you in Nashville in a few weeks.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Finally got the clearance to come to Nashville. Looking forward to seeing all the friendly grant gurus from the past couple years...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Red712 View Post
    Finally got the clearance to come to Nashville. Looking forward to seeing all the friendly grant gurus from the past couple years...
    And we are glad to see you make it too!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Congratulations to all the Tampa gang. You have done an awesome job. Last week the 1199 and ten questions dropped at the same time, for the regional communications grant. I hope to have joined the million dollar club. The skills and ideas shared provide a unique learning experience with experienced writers giving perspectives that helped create a solid narrative. Thank you again everyone for helping gain our goals. I must add thanks Dr. Sly for your confidence, jam for your interest and Kurt for giving us the best venue.

Forum Member

Knew for SURE it would happen. Congrats Sandy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information