Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default A Very Sad Day for Knight Fire

Knight Township Fire Department has officially gone out of service permanently. A very sad night for Knight Township: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNb4HRhtvek

Forum Member

Was this purely because of funding or were there other reasons?

From the apparatus in the video it looks like a pretty well run department.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    was this purely because of funding or were there other reasons?
    I heard they had to pay for physicals and they went out of business.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Apparently the reason they folded was that they were already having financial problems, and then a corrupt treasurer mismanaged funds...

Forum Member

Forum Member

Sucks.

I'm sure the township will find out in the long run that the VFD would have been much cheaper than contracted fire protection by the city will be, and likely, the fire protection will not be nearly as good.

However, I'm sure at that point it will be too late to piece things back together again.

Forum Member

Not to be off topic but, watching the video that "last call" was some heavy whacker stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Not to be off topic but, watching the video that "last call" was some heavy whacker stuff.
    Yeah......

Forum Member

It's a sad day when a town has to suffer the loss of their fire department because some dumb @$$ couldn't handle the finances. Did the treasurer steal the money or just not spend it wisely?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    It's a sad day when a town has to suffer the loss of their fire department because some dumb @$$ couldn't handle the finances. Did the treasurer steal the money or just not spend it wisely?
    Now that I'm reading more, it sounds like it was a township trustee that stole money and bankrupted the whole township. The FD was just on the chopping block...

Forum Member

Sorry to hear that, my department is always accepting new volunteers, however I understand that you guys feel betrayed and don't want to volunteer anymore.
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I heard they had to pay for physicals and they went out of business.
    Ha!

Post of the day!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    Now that I'm reading more, it sounds like it was a township trustee that stole money and bankrupted the whole township. The FD was just on the chopping block...
    There will be a special place in hell for that trustee, especially if someone dies because fire/emergency response is more timely because of this crap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    Sorry to hear that, my department is always accepting new volunteers, however I understand that you guys feel betrayed and don't want to volunteer anymore.
    Where do you get that they feel bitter? I didn't get that from the report at all. Infact, what I read said that a lot of them were going to other volunteer departments to continue to be firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber CKirk922's Avatar

I live 50 miles north of Knight. I have friends on Knight, Scott, and German twps as well as Evansville fire. The Knight guys and gals were in a no win. It was taken out of their control. The one station was bought by a EFD guy that runs a training outfit. It is a shame because this is the kind of stuff the Governor is using to push out the trustee system... His proposed system will lead to many more closings. Sometimes, things are better managed at the local level. Its a shame this jerk (trustee) had to pee in the pool we swim in.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

I'm sure the township will find out in the long run that the VFD would have been much cheaper than contracted fire protection by the city will be, and likely, the fire protection will not be nearly as good.
    You are such an a s s hole
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I honestly cannot begin to imagine how these men and women feel...I mean I don't know what I'd do if my Department were to go out of service. Honestly this is a very very sad story.

I honestly wish all the best to the Volunteers of Knight Fire the best of luck, and that if by chance it could happen. That they're Department is restored. And whether or not this is considered to be lame, or make me a wuss. I did shed a tear listening to the members call themselves out of service. This kinda thing should not happen.
    Last edited by EngineCO38; 01-04-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Sucks.

However, I'm sure at that point it will be too late to piece things back together again.
    DId you even read the story? They didn't close it because they wanted to save money genius, they closed it because some @$$hole stole a crapload of money from the township. I don't think they're doing contract work, pretty sure they're getting help from the county department.Oh, and thanks on behalf of the surrounding county department that wil be covering for them for the slam you made at the end, ******.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EngineCO38 View Post
    I honestly cannot begin to imagine how these men and women feel...I mean I don't know what I'd do if my Department were to go out of service. Honestly this is a very very sad story.

I honestly wish all the best to the Volunteers of Knight Fire the best of luck, and that if by chance it could happen. That they're Department is restored. And whether or not this is considered to be lame, or make me a wuss. I did shed a tear listening to the members call themselves out of service. This kinda thing should not happen.
    Don't worry brother, it tugged at my heart strings as well, I managed to hold back though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireeaterbob View Post
    I live 50 miles north of Knight. I have friends on Knight, Scott, and German twps as well as Evansville fire. The Knight guys and gals were in a no win. It was taken out of their control. The one station was bought by a EFD guy that runs a training outfit. It is a shame because this is the kind of stuff the Governor is using to push out the trustee system... His proposed system will lead to many more closings. Sometimes, things are better managed at the local level. Its a shame this jerk (trustee) had to pee in the pool we swim in.
    Hey Bob, let 'em know we're all thinking of them. It's heartbreaking to hear some of those guys that had been there for a while giving their thinks and memories at the end of the video. I imagine it would almost be like losing a member of your family.

Thread Information