Forum Member

Default Info on '37 Ford ALF

I seldom start threads and usually enjoy reading far more than posting, but I thought I'd throw this out to see if anyone can help. Our department's first real fire engine is a 1937 Ford/American LaFrance. We are considering doing a complete restoration if the funding is available. However, I'd like to see one like it, or similar, so we can replace the booster tank, hose bed, and other sections that have been changed or become missing over the years. I found one exactly like it on a northern department's website, except for it being red and having three sections of hard suction where ours has only two. I sent them a request on the email posted on their website, but never heard anything back. Googling for pics has turned up little to nothing. I'll try to post some pics, so if anyone knows of another one like it and can provide any info or a few good pics we'd sure appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a 1940 Ford ALF, that been restored, would you like to see?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    We have a 1940 Ford ALF, that been restored, would you like to see?
    Heck, yeah...you can post them here, or email me at thnozzleman@bellsouth.net. Thanks!

Forum Member

Do you have the serial number for this truck, may be on the pump panel, in the cab or fire wall.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

might want to post on the youngstown forums
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Do you have the serial number for this truck, may be on the pump panel, in the cab or fire wall.
    Sure do. Thought about submitting it to ALF and see if they can provide any info. Probably a long shot.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Post the SN here, a number of us have resources we might be able to tap into.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Here You go! "Old Red" 1940 Ford ALF.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

F1143 American LaFrance and Foamite Corp, Elmira, New York

Forum Member

Here You go! "Old Red" 1940 Ford ALF.
    Looks like one of your fire trucks finally ripened up. ROFLMAO

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Looks like one of your fire trucks finally ripened up. ROFLMAO

FM1
    Only took 71 years.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure what happened to the files at ALF in Elmira. We were fortunate enough to get our builders pictures(2) before the first move. The builders pix will be a side view with the serial number on a sign displayed below the running board. Suggest that you contact SPAAMFAA and ask who to contact about this. There are a number of folks doing some super restoration of old equipment. 2009 we did a tear down of our 4 cyl Type 40 engine and were able to find rings and valves for it. This is a 1917 Chemical and hose car with a 300 gpm Jr. pump. Still pumps. The builders picture will allow matching the original gold leaf patterns if you are interested in going back to the original.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KuhShise View Post
    Not sure what happened to the files at ALF in Elmira. We were fortunate enough to get our builders pictures(2) before the first move. The builders pix will be a side view with the serial number on a sign displayed below the running board. Suggest that you contact SPAAMFAA and ask who to contact about this. There are a number of folks doing some super restoration of old equipment. 2009 we did a tear down of our 4 cyl Type 40 engine and were able to find rings and valves for it. This is a 1917 Chemical and hose car with a 300 gpm Jr. pump. Still pumps. The builders picture will allow matching the original gold leaf patterns if you are interested in going back to the original.
    I'd love to have access to that sort of database. We actually have several pics of our Engine 1 from back in the day, but close up details are hard to locate. I'm in the process of forming a public request for anyone in the city or surrounding communities for pics and information they may have. Occasionally people will stop by when they discover a bit of department history a relative may have and donate it, such as old badges and the like. Here is a pic of our Engine 1 from about the same time it was purchased.

Forum Member

This is what they were using before purchasing the '37 ALF. I've been told it's an early 20's Buick rigged up to fight fire. I guess we've come a long way, baby!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    I'd love to have access to that sort of database. We actually have several pics of our Engine 1 from back in the day, but close up details are hard to locate. I'm in the process of forming a public request for anyone in the city or surrounding communities for pics and information they may have. Occasionally people will stop by when they discover a bit of department history a relative may have and donate it, such as old badges and the like. Here is a pic of our Engine 1 from about the same time it was purchased.
    That is a sharp looking rig!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

That is a sharp looking rig!
    Thanks. Here's a pic of the guys who were on the department when it was purchased. A the grandfather of a local businessman and another man actually went to Elmira, NY and drove her all the way back to Tennessee.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sure do. Thought about submitting it to ALF and see if they can provide any info. Probably a long shot.
    You might be surprised. We were doing some history work on some old pictures of our department a while back trying to figure out what kinds of trucks were in the picture. I finally found something I could magnify the hood ornament enout to read "LaFrance". I emailed them asking if they had any info on apparatus from our department.

They emailed me back within a couple of days (a vice president, at that). What we found out was that it as a 1916 Lafrance. We also found out that the 1928 piece that's in our town's museum (complete with the dent in the fuel tank from an LODD roll-over) was mislabeled at the museum. Everyone had thought it was a different year.

Forum Member

That is one hell of a bell on the front of that thing!!!

Also consider trying the ALF Museum, perhaps they have some archived material/files.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    That is one hell of a bell on the front of that thing!!!

Also consider trying the ALF Museum, perhaps they have some archived material/files.
    Tell me about it! That thing was put on it sometime in the late 50's. It was donated to a member by Southern Railroad. It is actually the bell off of one of the last two steam locomotives still in service before being replaced by diesels. We're not really sure why they decided to put it on the front of the old ALF. It's currently a matter of debate as whether to leave it during resoration, or remove it, returning her to her original condition. I'm for removing it and remounting it on a decorative stand to use in ceremonies. Man, you haven't polished brass until you've polished this thing!

Forum Member

Tell me about it! That thing was put on it sometime in the late 50's. It was donated to a member by Southern Railroad. It is actually the bell off of one of the last two steam locomotives still in service before being replaced by diesels. We're not really sure why they decided to put it on the front of the old ALF. It's currently a matter of debate as whether to leave it during resoration, or remove it, returning her to her original condition. I'm for removing it and remounting it on a decorative stand to use in ceremonies. Man, you haven't polished brass until you've polished this thing!
    If you are going for an "original" restoration, my vote is for removal. For 2 reasons....1. Not original (duh!) and 2. That thing has to weigh several hundred pounds.....I gotta believe that it has some kind of an adverse effect on the front suspension.

Put some good wheels on that stand!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a picture of "Old Red" in action. Talk about the "Good old Days"! Hey I think I see Harve helping damn up the creek!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Here's a picture of "Old Red" in action. Talk about the "Good old Days"! Hey I think I see Harve helping damn up the creek!
    Now that's a great picture!

Forum Member

Default I'm back...

Talk about resurrections...but we finally got around to tearing down our '37 ALF/Ford. Boy, what a project! Anyway, we're working our way back from the front. The old flathead stuff has been a blast, and not too bad to locate. However, we've stripped the pump down and now the fun has started. It has frozen at some point in the past. The case is cracked in a few places around the suction side (bottom, of course). I think these can be repaired enough to get it pumping again. The worst part is the two 2 1/2" discharge valves have also frozen and damaged the internals. I located another pump off a 1957 Mack that looked identical (up near Detroit), but the guy had already got rid of it by the time I called. If anybody has a lead on a pump or related parts like this (might be an early Twinflow, don't know), let me know. I would be interested in replacing the entire pump if I could find one for the right price. I could pump again without replacing the valves (just cap on a later model 2 1/2" shutoff while pumping), but I really need the right side suction (without the pressure relief valve) because is has a pretty bad crack that extends into the threads.

On a related note, I also need to rebuild the section between the cab and rear body section. I believe there was some sort of toolbox in that area, above the pump. The tank will have to be fabricated, as well. The original long ago rusted out. There is an engine at Big Flats Volunteer Fire Department in Big Flats, NY that is identical to ours, with the only difference I can tell being it's red and carries three sections of hard suction, where ours has only two. I've ran the numbers through the ALF database and they were only a few numbers apart on the assembly line. If anyone is a member of this department, lives close by, or knows someone who is/was a member, I would love to have several high quality photos of the layout of this engine. You can contact me here, or at thnozzleman@bellsouth.net.

I'll try to post some pics of our progress so far. I'll post pics of needed parts if somebody has a possible lead on replacements.

Also, would there be any interest in having Firehouse create a thread/section for fire apparatus restoration? Most of the web is pretty barren of committed fire apparatus related restoration sites. If there is a thread/section for this on the new forums, let me know...I couldn't locate one.

Thanks, and hope you've all been doing well.

Noz
    Name:  IMG_20141016_095428compressed.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  65.8 KB

Forum Member

Default Here's a shot of the pump...

Here's a shot of the pump before we started taking it apart. The changeover valve is frozen pretty good. Don't know if we'll ever get it out or moving again. Appears to be in the pressure mode, so at least it would pump.

Name:  IMG_20141012_163129compressed.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  36.0 KB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by
    Also, would there be any interest in having Firehouse create a thread/section for fire apparatus restoration? Most of the web is pretty barren of committed fire apparatus related restoration sites. If there is a thread/section for this on the new forums, let me know...I couldn't locate one.

Thanks, and hope you've all been doing well.

Noz
    [ATTACH
    23603[/ATTACH]
    One thing jumps out right away and bites me in the face - are those distributor caps correct, or are they an later replacement? The original caps were rounded and the plug wires came out almost together. I see that the original retaining clips are still there.

Thread Information