Thread: Roll up doors

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    So what equipment couldn't you fit on the apparatus because of the roll up doors or is this some sort of academic discussion?
    Chief, if your department has a surplus of compartment space on your apparatus, it's the only department I've ever known that could make that claim.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Chief, if your department has a surplus of compartment space on your apparatus, it's the only department I've ever known that could make that claim.
    True, but we don't leave anything at the firehouse when we pull out either.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Truckie

Chief, if your department has a surplus of compartment space on your apparatus, it's the only department I've ever known that could make that claim
    We can make that claim with our new ladder. Everything we need as a traditional truck company we have, and room for some specific equipment our department tasks our trucks to do.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

I can make that same claim with both my departments. I know a number of others that can do the same.

With the way they're building apparatus these days, I'm willing to bet it's more of the norm than in years past. It's not like 15-20 years ago when you commonly saw low-side compartments. I can't remember the last new truck I saw with low-sides. I'm sure they're out there, and I doubt I'd put a roll-up on a low-side, but I certainly wouldn't call them the norm.

Engineers are doing wonderful things with what previously was wasted space. Take four SCBA bottles out of a compartment and put them in the wheelwells. Take the ladders off the side and put them through the tank or beside it. We'll take that oversized deisel genset and put on a compact hydraulic in the dunnage area. Oh, and let's build it a bit taller for even more room!

Let's talk fire trucks!

And your point is?
    That you live in a world in which you think you're always right.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal
    Chief, if your department has a surplus of compartment space on your apparatus, it's the only department I've ever known that could make that claim
    Count my department in too. We specificy our rigs with compartment space beyond what we currently need, knowing that the American fire service is constantly being tasked with additional responsibilities and the equipment that comes along with those responsibilities needs a place to be carried.

As a note, we're still carry everything we need, even with "all that space" eaten up by the roll-up drum at the top of the compartment.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

No, instead of wasted space you built an oversized compartment to store the compartment door.
    Nope, built compartments to hold all the gear,plus future additions AND still have room for that lil roll of door. Aren't YOU glad we have CHOICES? We can all get what we want. BTW, we have ROM's and NO, we have NEVER had a latch fail. We're not going back to pan doors. Oh,we'll use 'em on real small compartments, but the Rollups are MUCH more practical for OUR operations. Keeping them working is pretty low key, a little lube now and again and a occasional cleaning. Not much different from a pan from what I can see. T.C.

Forum Member

My department has both style of doors in service on our various vehicles. Roll-ups on the pumpers, hinged slabs and pop-ups on our rescue and truck.

I like the roll-ups over the hinged, but each has its place in my view. Sometimes its more practical to use a hinged door versus a roll-up, say in the instance of a truck. I'll give that the newer trucks I see have a combination of the two styles, but I just like the hinged on a truck. Also for taller doors, I think a hinged is a more functional option. Again, just my viewpoint.

The roll-ups we use are ROM brand. As long as we keep the tracks clean and lubricated (dry lubricant), they work fine. Only real problem we've had is the sensor magnet in the handle popped loose once but it was an easy fix.

On the hinged doors, problems we've had have ranged from the latches failing (quarter turn d-ring style) to the pop-up doors not staying raised. With those, its a matter of the gas-piston is shot/worn out or its the spring-latch that's worn out. Only other issue I've noticed is the larger doors can be quite heavy and any equipment mounted on them often has to have the mounting bolts checked that they aren't coming loose. Even with threadlocker on them, our rescue manages to pound a few loose over a month's time.

Like I said, I feel they both have their place on vehicles.

Forum Member

Jeez...fightin' over what type of door is on the rig. Pathetic. The simple fact is it doesn't matter what kind of door a rig has...

...just as long as it's red and has smoothbore nozzles and 8 lb. axes behind it.

Yo
    Banned

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Jeez...fightin' over what type of door is on the rig. Pathetic. The simple fact is it doesn't matter what kind of door a rig has...

...just as long as it's red and has smoothbore nozzles and 8 lb. axes behind it.
    wow, i almost forgot you "wuz from tha souf for a second".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yo View Post
    wow, i almost forgot you "wuz from tha souf for a second".
    Please hurry and be banned Yo and leave my Tennessee brothers alone while you are at it.

Forum Member

I guess I know who the dinosaurs are now, who are against change and evolution. How sad.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescueLupo View Post
    I know where I am from, the law enforment agencies do their best to keep that traffic flowing and not shut down the road.
    We don't shut down the road unnecessarily but the safety of firefighters working at the roadside is a clear necessity. It doesn't always make the LEOs happy but it isn't up to them. (I don have to note that as the number of LEOs struck and killed along the roadsides increases, their objections to lane/road closures has steadily declined.)

Seems to be more positives towards the roll ups. I use mostly all hinged which I do not have a problem with but I have seen the negatives from them first hand.
    Having used both, I'm not arguing that roll ups are necessarily bad but they're certainly not without their own unique flaws. Choosing them just because they're trendy is a poor practice. They aren't always necessarily the best choice for every application just by virtue of being the new "in thing."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    That you live in a world in which you think you're always right.
    If that were the case, we'd be next door neighbors. :P

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WBFD25 View Post
    but each has its place in my view. Sometimes its more practical to use a hinged door versus a roll-up
    Heresy! You mean it's not a case of one or the other, black and white, one size must fit all!?!?! Is that even possible in the fire service?

Thanks for agreeing with me. I was beginning to think I was the only sane one left.

Like I said, I feel they both have their place on vehicles.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post

Agreed. Because that's where smoothbore nozzles belong; in a compartment not at the end of a pre-connect. :P

Forum Member

Our volly department rigs are a mixture of hinged and roll up doors. In the tight space of our current station, the roll up doors do seem to work better, it gets tight between rigs when a hinged door is open.

The ARFF department I am on has two trucks, one older truck with hinges, and one new truck with roll up doors. We haven't had any issues with either.

Back In Black

(1) Recall fondly how you never had this problem with traditional hinged doors.
    (2) Remove troublesome roll up doors.
    (3) Replace with traditional hinged doors.
    (4) Rejoice in the restoration of storage space wasted for roll-up doors.
    (5) Remember this when you spec your next apparatus.
    Clearly you felt what you wrote above... the horrors of roll ups.

Seriously? I've never seen any reason to switch to roll-ups other than because we could. Hinged doors require maintenance, too, but far less of it than roll ups; they can store tools as noted above or they can even serve as a sheltor for the pump operator if they're hinged upwards; and, most of all, they don't waste space inside the compartment. I've yet to come up with any reason why a roll-up is a better choice than a hinged door.
    No reason to switch... here you advocate for hinged over roll up.

Unlikely to understand what? Wasted compartment space is the same wherever you go.
    Yes, those bad ol' roll ups....

Having used both, I'm not arguing that roll ups are necessarily bad but they're certainly not without their own unique flaws. Choosing them just because they're trendy is a poor practice. They aren't always necessarily the best choice for every application just by virtue of being the new "in thing."
    Wait, huh? Now they aren't bad? Holy smokes, the tide has turned!

Heresy! You mean it's not a case of one or the other, black and white, one size must fit all!?!?! Is that even possible in the fire service?

Thanks for agreeing with me. I was beginning to think I was the only sane one left.
    Now you sit in the middle and claim the territory as yours all along.

What an interesting transition. 3 more pages and you'll be selling roll ups.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Good stuff Chief..

Cognition before Ignition

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Clearly you felt what you wrote above... the horrors of roll ups.
    More like roll-ups aren't a panacea to serve all purposes.

No reason to switch... here you advocate for hinged over roll up.
    And I still do in many cases. The point is that roll-ups aren't inherently "better" than hinged doors. If roll-ups are giving you grief; switch back. Maybe you made a poor choice.

Holy smokes, the tide has turned!

Now you sit in the middle and claim the territory as yours all along.
    No, it's just never been a black or white issue as far as I'm concerned. Like everything else in the fire service there's a tendency to run to the latest gimmick. When roll-ups came into favor, they were suddenly the only way to go. Damn their shortcomings and banish the thought that they might not be the best choice for every application every time.

What an interesting transition.
    Did it take three pages to notice that I never said that roll-ups don't have their uses -- they just aren't perfect and there are times when plain old hinged doors are more appropriate.

We might as well argue over which end of the end to open: little endians versus big endians...

Back In Black

No, it's just never been a black or white issue as far as I'm concerned.
    Riigghht...

I'll just leave it at that.

Forum Member

Talking

We've got both types of doors.

The hinged doors seem to wear out the gas shocks in about a 2 year period and the latches need to be adjusted periodically to keep them closed tight against the weather seals & the door open switches..

The roll up's need to be cleaned and the tracks brushed out every so often. We use anodized ROM doors and other than a little cleaning they've been ok as far as wear & adjustment are concerned.
    Some of the other brands not so much.

Forum Member

Agreed. Because that's where smoothbore nozzles belong; in a compartment not at the end of a pre-connect. :P
    What's a "pre-connect??"

Thread Information