Thread: Roll up doors

Forum Member

Default Roll up doors

Does anyone have any suggestions as to keeping roll up doors on apparatus moving freely?

Forum Member

Keeping the tracks, guides, and rollers clean and lubed with a silicon based lubricant works pretty well for us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wfd144 View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to keeping roll up doors on apparatus moving freely?
    (1) Recall fondly how you never had this problem with traditional hinged doors.
    (2) Remove troublesome roll up doors.
    (3) Replace with traditional hinged doors.
    (4) Rejoice in the restoration of storage space wasted for roll-up doors.
    (5) Remember this when you spec your next apparatus.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Absolutely!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Keeping the tracks, guides, and rollers clean and lubed with a silicon based lubricant works pretty well for us.
    Agreed, we clean and lube the tracks of our roll-ups weekly. Even on my 10 year old engine with 150k miles on it, they're still working great.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

And barn doors are fair game for mounting tools!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Truckie

Yes, get rid of those pesky roll up doors. Heaven forbid you have to actually perform any basic maintenance or adjustment. We all know that hinges never need to be cleaned or lubed.
    Funny, we have engines running a couple of thousand runs a year and have no problem with the roll up doors. But then again, this is Minnesota, so there probably isn't any slush, road salt, sand, dirt or ice we have to deal with....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Yes, get rid of those pesky roll up doors. Heaven forbid you have to actually perform any basic maintenance or adjustment. We all know that hinges never need to be cleaned or lubed.
    Seriously? I've never seen any reason to switch to roll-ups other than because we could. Hinged doors require maintenance, too, but far less of it than roll ups; they can store tools as noted above or they can even serve as a sheltor for the pump operator if they're hinged upwards; and, most of all, they don't waste space inside the compartment. I've yet to come up with any reason why a roll-up is a better choice than a hinged door.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Let's talk fire trucks!

I've yet to come up with any reason why a roll-up is a better choice than a hinged door.
    1. Less chance of taking out a support column between the bay doors when the door is either left open or comes open as the rig leaves the bay.

2. Lessens the profile of the rig when operating alongside the roadway with an open door.

3. Doesn't create an obstruction for hydraulic hoses or electrical cables when coming off a roller fairlead. They'll just come right out of the compartment without having to also go around a door.

4. How much stuff are you really storing at the top front of the compartment that at roll-up is keeping you from putting there? Seriously?

We're running over 50 rigs with roll-up doors and have used them since 1997. No chance of us going back to hinged doors.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing I can say is that I've never seen a roll-up door ripped off the truck.

Aside from that, take care of them (preventive maintenance, like washing out the tracks, lubing, etc.) and they'll last a good long time.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    One thing I can say is that I've never seen a roll-up door ripped off the truck.

Aside from that, take care of them (preventive maintenance, like washing out the tracks, lubing, etc.) and they'll last a good long time.
    Big ten-four on that.

I've seen more then one company with a plywood replacement hinged door...

We had a compartment door ripped off by the mirror of a truck on the interstate.

Roll ups are great, never had an issue trying to open one when the space was tight and to be honest, do you really use the top five inches of a compartment? nahh...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Both have their advantages, and not catching posts while exiting the station on a run is one for rollups, seen that a few times lately. Also the open hinged door sometimes has to be worked around, especially when you have a big heavy generator that need two people to get it out. I do like tool storage on the hinged door as well and nothing like stepping under the pop up hinged during a rain waiting for your crew to get back to the truck. Not sure what side of the isle I am on with this one.

Same maintanance as above, check it often clean it every so often. We usually check all doors during weekly checkoffs and maybe once a month or so clean out the roll ups but we really only have a few of those to worry about.

Forum Member

I never had the opportunity to operate an apparatus with rool-up doors. I do know however that a worn latch that isn't caressed upon closing will allow improperly secured SCBA tanks to leave a trail to the scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hate roll up doors, in our mainly dirt road enviroment keeping them clean is almost impossible.

What is this about wiping out regular doors when leaving the station? What is the engineer doing?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I hate roll up doors, in our mainly dirt road enviroment keeping them clean is almost impossible.

What is this about wiping out regular doors when leaving the station? What is the engineer doing?
    The engineer cannot help a rear swing door coming open unexpectedly as the apparatus passes through the door jamb.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by enginhouse2 View Post
    The engineer cannot help a rear swing door coming open unexpectedly as the apparatus passes through the door jamb.
    I witnessed this first hand in 2001 when a reserve 1985 ALF was pulling out of the station to respond on a run. A driver's side top-hinged compartment door popped open immediately before the rig pulled out of the door, which resulted in the center column and entire front facia of the two-bay station collapsing. It was quite a sight. The door on the engine was still intact and only had a small dent and paint chip on it. The engine house had tens of thousands of dollars in damage!

During my years of doing this, I've heard of something similar happening in two departments in our state.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I witnessed this first hand in 2001 when a reserve 1985 ALF was pulling out of the station to respond on a run. A driver's side top-hinged compartment door popped open immediately before the rig pulled out of the door, which resulted in the center column and entire front facia of the two-bay station collapsing. It was quite a sight. The door on the engine was still intact and only had a small dent and paint chip on it. The engine house had tens of thousands of dollars in damage!

During my years of doing this, I've heard of something similar happening in two departments in our state.
    They just don't make firehouses like they used to.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by enginhouse2 View Post
    They just don't make firehouses like they used to.
    Haha, that house dated back to 1941.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

Hinged doors suck... PERIOD. You're either replacing it because it popped open or someone didn't catch that it was open when they ducked underneath it to make a run. Rusted latches that won't release or catch. Then breaking all the screw heads off when trying to remove the handle so you can maybe open it. Then, if by the good graces, you do get it open, you fight the 44 phillip screws that are corroded holding the cover on. Now lets see, is it brand A, brand B, or brand C type of latch??? Great, it's brand D, the one I don't have. Time for a change over boys.

Rollup doors.... ROCK. Only replaced one because someone T-Boned an aerial. Wash it once a week, spray some dry silicone, and you're good. No fuss, no worries, no cussing.

FM1
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 01-06-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: spelling correction :eek:
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Sounds like a lot of you have departments full of idiots. Come on, its a door. If you can't figure out how to close it you have a problem. If you can't close all the doors on the truck before leaving you are an idiot. These are the worst reasons to advocate roll ups. Does switching to roll up doors turn your firefighters from morons to geniuses that remember to close compartments?

Roll up doors in NY seem to only last in slow places that are religious about cleaning them. Anyone that runs a lot that isn't able to wash it out after each run in the dirt/salt has problems with the roll ups sticking.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Sounds like a lot of you have departments full of idiots. Come on, its a door. If you can't figure out how to close it you have a problem. If you can't close all the doors on the truck before leaving you are an idiot. These are the worst reasons to advocate roll ups. Does switching to roll up doors turn your firefighters from morons to geniuses that remember to close compartments?

Roll up doors in NY seem to only last in slow places that are religious about cleaning them. Anyone that runs a lot that isn't able to wash it out after each run in the dirt/salt has problems with the roll ups sticking.
    So accidents just never happen? Someone has to be an idiot for a civilian taking off a compartment door or having a latch fail and that door popping open?

I know of a lot of busy companies that manage to keep their roll up doors working just fine.

Cute post, though.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not going to go that far, I just have never had it happen to me or my people. Now, pulling the bus out while the door was not open all the way? Been there, but was not driving!

A hosecover took care of that nicely...

Truckie

Anyone that runs a lot that isn't able to wash it out after each run in the dirt/salt has problems with the roll ups sticking.
    Well we may be a department of 400+ idiots doing 50,00 or so runs a year, but we do have professional drivers. A position obtained by testing and promoting, and they never seem to have a problem with the basic requirements to keep the roll up doors working. Even here here in Minnesota with all the snow, slush, salt, sand, and dirt you could hope for.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Let's talk fire trucks!

Yeah, I've advocating for years that we only promote the geniuses to engineer, but who's gonna listen to me?

Ever heard of "shyt happens?"
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

What don't you have Beer/Pepsi/battery trucks in your area? I bet that you do, I promise you that those roll up doors are open and closed a lot more than any fire truck in the world. I know the slats are larger but they are still roll up doors that are exposed to dirt and salt.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information