Thread: New Jersy 2011

Forum Member

Default New Jersy 2011

Just figured to get another thread going just in case the last Jersey thread was getting lost in the pages. Well, it's been a tough 2010 for anyone trying to get hired. As of now it looks like it could be more of the same. But then again who really knows. I have heard a small rumor of a class going in for Asbury. I myself, along with a few others on this site is desperately waiting for a class in Newark. As stupid as it sounds it is a possibilty of a class going in due to all of the retirements and promotions. Also interested to know if anybody has any details on Hackensack fire department and if they are looking to hire. I really don't think much happened in 2010 in New Jersey as far as hiring so sure hope 2011 is different. Ok. Just wanted to put a new thread in cause the 2010 thread was getting lost a bit.

Forum Member

Same as 2010 dont quit your job at Mickey D's

Forum Member

Question Ac

Atlantic City FD applied for the safer grant last year. How long before they make an announcement would anyone Know the answer. I believe Trenton FD got there's not to long ago.( so rumor has it.) There is alot of activity in AC and I think it's only going to get busier does anyone have any insight about AC and its public saftey/ politics. Hoping for a miracle.

Forum Member

Question ?

There is something stirring in Atlantic City. Can anyone shine some light on the situation concerning ACFD. People are talking about a grant that could held the FD tremendously with hiring this year. What is Christie's/ Langford's long term public safe plan for AC? How are they going to make and keep Atlantic City the safe and welcoming resort its suppose to be?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1 View Post
    There is something stirring in Atlantic City. Can anyone shine some light on the situation concerning ACFD. People are talking about a grant that could held the FD tremendously with hiring this year. What is Christie's/ Langford's long term public safe plan for AC? How are they going to make and keep Atlantic City the safe and welcoming resort its suppose to be?
    Haha they have to bring back the FF's that have been layed off the last 6months. From what I hear the grant will only bring these people back but its not known for how long. Nj seems to be place of layoffs. Camden, Ac, Trenton many small departments in the in the state. Rough times in Nj Like stated before don't quit your day job.

Forum Member

I'll second what nozzelnut stated

Forum Member

not only bring back the guys layed off first, any firefighter layed off in the state is on a list to get hired before anyone even if there is a residence requirement, So all the camden guys have a shot before anyone on the current list, and all the guys taking the new test,hahaha that is just a waste of time also..

Forum Member

Yup - trust me it does not look good for anyone. And the fire service is such a poor organazation that the people who have jobs don't care. There is just too many obstacles to overcome. Hiring laid off people, ethnic, and politics. I just found out that the test I took 3 years ago was tampered with. To get a 100% on the obstacle you needed to get 3 min and 5 sec or better. Well, a couple of years later they changed that to 2 min and 53 seconds. Yes, the test that I took 3 years ago and they changed that score. Of course it's wrong and illegal but this is what the fire service allows because they don't care. Just another obstacle. So many people are retiring and everyone is shorthanded. It will have to take something very very bad to happen for anyone to have a chance to get hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hiring layed of FF's

The only cities and towns that will hire laid off guys would be the ones that recognize ("use")the RICE bill. Not sure which cities these are but just because you are laidoff doesnt mean you go to the top of every list in the state. Jersey City doesn't hire off that list not sure about Newark or NHRFR but I dont think they do either. Keep your heads up something has to happen sooner or later.
    Last edited by LeatherneckFF; 01-19-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Forum Member

Smile Lets go ac!

Atlantic City's safer grant has been approved ACFD might put a class through the academy in spring. Atlantic City does not recognize the (RICE) bill you must be a resident. Waiting to see how the politics play out on this one.

Forum Member

I took the test for Jersey City. It'll be tough getting on the job with the current state of things. Rather then allowing it to bring you down, let it motivate you. FD's have to hire eventually, all you can do now is just make sure when they do, you are high on the list.

I wish everyone the best.

Forum Member

gggggggggggggggggg
    Last edited by usellout911; 09-19-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Forum Member

gggggggggggggggggggg

Forum Member

Hey Phoenix how do you know the Safer Grant has been approved for the ACFD if it has not been awarded yet on their website(http://www.firegrantsupport.com/cont...wards10.aspx)? They award every Friday to cities across the nation. Now do you have some information about the grant coming in soon for an award? If it does it will provide 30 laid off guys rehired 21 new recruits and 10 to 11 promotions to captain. The grant will pay the salary for the next two years.

Forum Member

Hello iam new to the fourm. I got my letter the other day for Newark Fd saying i had passed the written portion. Any word on how many other people passed the test? It stated that the practice facility would be open as of today Feb 7th from 8am to 3:30pm but only monday -thursday i really wish they would open on fridays and saturday because i cant make any of those days at that time due to work. My only option would be to take a sick day and go there and practice all day and hope those few sick days i do have would make a difference. anybody been there already? if so how is it

Forum Member

Default ac nj

gggggggggggggggggg

Forum Member

Default NJ Atlantic City

ggggggggggggggg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider01 View Post
    Hello iam new to the fourm. I got my letter the other day for Newark Fd saying i had passed the written portion. Any word on how many other people passed the test? It stated that the practice facility would be open as of today Feb 7th from 8am to 3:30pm but only monday -thursday i really wish they would open on fridays and saturday because i cant make any of those days at that time due to work. My only option would be to take a sick day and go there and practice all day and hope those few sick days i do have would make a difference. anybody been there already? if so how is it
    knightrider, for now, the course is only openened monday-thursday until 5;30pm (but realize that if there are 10,20,30,40, or 100 people there at 5pm they wont allow anyone else on the line to run the course since it takes 3mins on average for each person to run the course, so if its like last time they will probably stop the line from growing at 3;30pm... . In march, it will "PROBABLY" be open on fridays or saturdays or maybe both. i'm not sure about night hours although if it goes like the last test a few weeks before the actual test dates begin it'll "PROBABLY" be open until later in the evening. To answer your other questions, from what a NFD member told me 3200 applied and only 1800-1900 took the written/congnitive, not sure how many out of those pass/failed yet. there are 160 military veterans on the list, so if your not a veteran like myself, our number starts at 161. Let's try to get below 200 on the list.
    Last edited by jaxong75; 02-09-2011 at 09:13 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just saw Atlantic City and Camden got their SAFER grants today. Not sure if its just for hire backs or some new guys too. www.firegrantsupport.com

Forum Member

Went down to the training facility and ran the course in 3:56 with no vest on. it was super tough !!!!!!!!!!! I didnt think it would be that hard. the instructor told me as long as i was able to finish it would be a good enough for my first time. My question is what time do i have to realistic have to get . When i watched the video the one newark firefighter told me he was hired off the last list and he ran it in 2:20 . i didnt see anybody come close to that mostly time in the 3 -4 min range at best

Forum Member

I've always been told under 3:30 for a competitive time.

Forum Member

i think i can get it under 3:30 i dropped the cap on the hydrant and i know i can improve on those stairs . but the 160 vets in front of me already might be to much from what i read in the past post they only hired 18 guys off the last list anyway iam going to continue to to practice if anything ill be in great shape by the time iam done lol

Forum Member

3:56 is good for your first time. A 100% is 3:05 or better. Whoever did it in 2:26 like you said is an absolute freak. But be very carefull and do as good as you can cause newark changed the scores and made it 2:56 years later. Bottom line is do as good as you can so they cant screw with you

Forum Member

the firefighters told me to shoot for at least under 3 min to have decent shot but that by no means dose it mean to just go for 3 min and be happy with that. the guy who got 2:20 is already a firefighter he is the very tall athletic African American he said he did so well because he practiced every day and was use to running similar course in the millitary

Forum Member

one more thing why do you think they changed the time from 3:05 being 100% to 2:56 ? i see nothing wrong with getting more athletic or people who trained better.

Thread Information