Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2011 Columbus, Ohio Fire Exam

The City Of Columbus, Ohio will be conducting an entrance exam in 2011. Below is information concerning the exam and the 2011 study guide.

Go to the link below for the 2011 Study Guide
    https://csc.columbus.gov/pages/unifo...dy%20Guide.pdf

Please note: Under the section below, YES!! I want to be a Firefighter!! You can register your name and contact information to be informed when the exam dates and sign-up are announced. We strongly recommend that you do this.

The Columbus recruitment office has stated that the sign-up for the exam will be either March or April, with the actual exam being held in May or June

Don McNea Fire School will be conducting for the six consecutive Columbus Fire Exam, an in-depth exam prep seminar cover all aspects of the testing process. Details on the May 1st seminar are available at www.fireprep.com

The following has been updated as 1-14-2011
    Study Guide available online now!
    November 2010

Accepting Applications for FirefighterApplications accepted online only @ www.csc.columbus.gov However, you may apply online in our office at
    750 Piedmont Road, Columbus, Ohio 43224.
    March 10–April 1, 2011

Information Sessions
    **Optional**
    Each Information session provides the same information; therefore candidates do not need to attend multiple sessions.
    April 19, 21, 25, and 27 at 6:00p.m.

Saturday, April 23 10:00a.m. or 2:00p.m.
    Specific examination and physical practice dates will be assigned to each candidate

See study guide for detailed information regarding each phase of the exam
    Phase I: The Multiple Choice Exam
    May 2011

Physical practice dates
    July 2011

Phase II: Physical Exam and Phase III: FOAM Exam
    August 2011

The Firefighter Selection Process
    To qualify for the position of firefighter, candidates must complete the following steps in the testing and selection process :

Making the Decision

When considering a career in the Fire Service, many people immediately focus on the risks involved. However, a career in the Fire Service is both challenging and rewarding. The City of Columbus , Division of Fire has an extensive three-year Journeymen Firefighter program that prepares men and women for the challenges an emergency situation involves. The Division of Fire has a strong focus on the initial training as well as continuing education of fire personnel, which gives the City of Columbus one of the best fire divisions in the country. This training, the teamwork, and trust in other firefighters are the tools necessary for this level of responsibility. Focus should be placed on protecting the health and safety of others, which provides personal rewards that are immeasurable. In addition, the typical work schedule allows for quality time with friends and family, and other interests.

Prior fire experience is NOT required, so if you are ready for a rewarding career that will provide life-long skills and challenges, please consider this career! For questions in this step, please call Fire Recruiting at (614) 645-6387.

YES!! I want to be a Firefighter!!

Before applications are accepted, you may complete a Job Interest Card. This will ensure you receive notice when applications are being accepted. Notifications will be sent to those who have expressed interest with Civil Service.

Go to the link, https://csc.columbus.gov/webapp/ to register with the Employment Center and submit the Job Interest card for firefighter. Be sure to include "3090 Firefighter," and any other positions you may be interested in with the City of Columbus . We generally accept applications for a limited number of weeks, so be sure you have expressed interest so that you will be informed of this time period!

If you have any questions please call Civil Service Commission staff at (614) 645-0879, or email PoliceFireTesting@columbus.gov

Application

An application and Abbreviated Background Questionnaire (ABQ) must be submitted to the Columbus Civil Service Commission during the application filing period. The application requirements are : 1. at least 17Ĺ years of age at the time of application and 18 years old in order to be appointed; 2. valid driver's license at time of application and valid Ohio driver's license at time of appointment; 3. high school diploma or GED at time of appointment; 4. U. S. citizen at time of application.

Civil Service Exam

If the application and ABQ are approved, the Civil Service Commission will notify the applicant of the time and place to report for the examination. Prior to the test, preparation materials will be provided and information sessions will be offered. Candidates are strongly advised to utilize these materials and attend these sessions. The examination will include a multiple-choice test, a physical capabilities test, and an oral exam. Candidates who pass all three phases of the exam will be placed on an eligible list based on their final score.

Background Investigation

Candidates who score well enough on the Civil Service examination(s) to begin the background process will be mailed a personal history questionnaire (PHQ). At a later date, candidates will be required to attend a pre-interview with a background investigator at Fire Headquarters. Pictures, fingerprints, and waivers will be completed to assist in an extensive background investigation. Candidates' PHQs will be reviewed to ensure compliance with the background removal standards prior to scheduling of the polygraph examination.

Candidates will then complete a pre-polygraph questionnaire and the polygraph examination will be conducted to verify the accuracy and completeness of all the information provided.

The Civil Service Commission will review the polygraph summary and PHQ to ensure there are no violations of the background removal standards for employment with the Division of Fire.

The background investigative summary is sent to the Oral Review Board, which consists of Columbus Division of Fire personnel. Candidates are required to be interviewed by this board and questions will be asked regarding the background investigation.

Safety Director Review

Oral Review Board recommendations and background investigations will be reviewed by the chain of command and a summary will be forwarded to the Director of Public Safety. The Director will make the final decision regarding conditional offers of employment.

Medical

After being given a conditional offer of employment, a rigorous medical examination will be administered, including vision, cardiovascular stress test, and a psychological screening. These tests must be passed before you can be appointed to the position of Firefighter. The vision requirements state that vision must be correctable to 20/30 binocular and no more than 20/100 uncorrected in each eye.

Appointment

Candidates selected for employment will be notified by letter of an appointment date to the Fire Academy .

All new fire recruits may be required to obtain and maintain an Emergency Medical Technician- employment as deemed necessary by the Fire Chief.

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles by Chief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://www.firehouse.com/showcase/jobs/articles
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 03-09-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Forum Member

Thank you very much for the information. I was having a hard time finding info on this test but I heard about it from my buddy in fire class. Its greatly appreciated

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you taking the 2011 Columbus Firefighter exam, go to the link below for an exam prep seminar that will be held May 1st. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/2011_columbu...hter_exam.html

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles by Chief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://www.firehouse.com/showcase/jobs/articles

www.fireprep.com
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 03-04-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Forum Member

It says you have to have a valid Ohio DL. Does that mean you need an Ohio's DL to be considered for employment, or can you get it if you get offered the job?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    It says you have to have a valid Ohio DL. Does that mean you need an Ohio's DL to be considered for employment, or can you get it if you get offered the job?
    There is no residency requirement to take the exam or extra points given for residency!

I'd figure that you would need an Ohio DL after the test, before employment.

Forum Member

I have been a FF for 3 years now and absolutely love the job! CFD is my dream job as I have the fortune to know alot of CFD guys and they have always praised the division. Once I heard they were testing again in May I became overwhelmed trying to find out everything I can find out about. Unfortunately I was fired from a Hospital for reasons that still baffle me today. I read that, that is one of the items you can be disqualified for and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. My background if fairly clean w/ no arrest or excessive drug use and would hate me being fired from a hospital get in the way of my dream job! Any advice would be great!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flashover107 View Post
    I have been a FF for 3 years now and absolutely love the job! CFD is my dream job as I have the fortune to know alot of CFD guys and they have always praised the division. Once I heard they were testing again in May I became overwhelmed trying to find out everything I can find out about. Unfortunately I was fired from a Hospital for reasons that still baffle me today. I read that, that is one of the items you can be disqualified for and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. My background if fairly clean w/ no arrest or excessive drug use and would hate me being fired from a hospital get in the way of my dream job! Any advice would be great!!
    I was removed from the last process based on that part of the removal standard. I was upfront from the beginning and was told by the BI that it wouldn't be an issue. However, after the poly (which I passed), I was eliminated. My appeal was rejected on the grounds that the standard is non-negotiable.

That said, a guy posted on the 2006 thread that he appealed a similar decision, won, and is now on the job. That thread might be a place to look. My advice for you is to apply, be honest on the application, and disclose everything you know from the start. Truthfully, nothing bad can happen by trying.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FormerFF View Post
    I was removed from the last process based on that part of the removal standard. I was upfront from the beginning and was told by the BI that it wouldn't be an issue. However, after the poly (which I passed), I was eliminated. My appeal was rejected on the grounds that the standard is non-negotiable.

That said, a guy posted on the 2006 thread that he appealed a similar decision, won, and is now on the job. That thread might be a place to look. My advice for you is to apply, be honest on the application, and disclose everything you know from the start. Truthfully, nothing bad can happen by trying.

Did they ask you during the Poly about being fired from a previous job? Thanks for all your input!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flashover107 View Post
    Did they ask you during the Poly about being fired from a previous job? Thanks for all your input!
    Yup. Though, that was far from the first time they heard about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello and good luck to everyone. I plan on taking the exam and will be following this thread. I am trying to get some info about Columbus. My questions are below. I have done some research on the internet and figured the best resource might be on here.

1. What is the work schedule?
    2. I am a paramedic. Will I be required to ride a medic unit or is EMS a seperate division? similar to say, FDNY.
    3. As far as fires go, does columbus get a lot of work, or at descent amount?
    4. Is there an additional jump in pay if im already a Medic. How much?
    5. Are there true assignments? Such as being assigned to an engine or truck? Or do you just ride on both back and forth?
    6. Being a medic there, how does the ride schedule work. Engine one day, medic the next. Something like that?
    7. I am going out of the country in May for 5 days. Antone heard of an exact test date?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate anyone who can help out. Good luck to all that are taking the exam.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sergijm View Post
    Hello and good luck to everyone. I plan on taking the exam and will be following this thread. I am trying to get some info about Columbus. My questions are below. I have done some research on the internet and figured the best resource might be on here.

1. What is the work schedule?
    2. I am a paramedic. Will I be required to ride a medic unit or is EMS a seperate division? similar to say, FDNY.
    3. As far as fires go, does columbus get a lot of work, or at descent amount?
    4. Is there an additional jump in pay if im already a Medic. How much?
    5. Are there true assignments? Such as being assigned to an engine or truck? Or do you just ride on both back and forth?
    6. Being a medic there, how does the ride schedule work. Engine one day, medic the next. Something like that?
    7. I am going out of the country in May for 5 days. Antone heard of an exact test date?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate anyone who can help out. Good luck to all that are taking the exam.
    sergijm,

I'm not on CFD, but I have ridden with a few of their Medic units during field clinicals for Paramedic school. I can tell you that Fire and EMS are combined. If you're a Paramedic, you will spend time riding on the Medic, but I don't know the rotation schedules. I don't know what CFD would require of you to get your P-card valid with the city, other than first getting certified in Ohio if you aren't already.
    Columbus Fire has their own Paramedic program for their employees that I believe is seperate from the Fire Academy. I've heard two things in regards to getting a P-card while with Columbus Fire:
    1) You have to go through their Paramedic program even if you're already a Paramedic.
    2) If you are a Paramedic, you DON'T have to go through their program, rather you just take a test regarding Columbus' protocols during EMS runs.

I hope I've answered a few of your questions.

If any current Columbus firefighter sees errors in my information, please correct me.
    Last edited by LDKetelsen; 03-11-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Forum Member

So how do you guys think the written went???

MembersZone Subscriber

There is already a thread for this with a good amount of info here:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120408 (Columbus, OH 2011)

Thread Information