Thread: Seat Frames

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Seat Frames

Simply asking, have you encountered any great difficulty in cutting seat frames. I'm referring to the upright portion of the seat covered in trim.

What tool were you using? Did you "cut it"? Any specifics you'd like to mention?

Any specific and direct knowledge of reienforced frames anyone?

Forum Member

Hi billyleach

The main issues i have come across are that some vehicles to save weight will have a complete plate metal seat back with holes cut in it to reduce weight, instead of the old tube frame and springs. These are difficult to cut.

Some newer seat back recliner brackets can be fitted with Boron brackets, these can be be removed by undoing the Throx bolt.

After exposing the seat back and bracket, avoiding any SRS if present, the main issues seem to be tool access in relation to the casualty's location and also in-advertant tool movement into to the seat/vehicle. There is also the issues of the seat moving violently during the cut sending unwanted movement through the casualties lower back.

We are trying to move away from hydraulics for every space creation, removing the seat back etc can be done easily with torque wrenches and socket sets etc.

I hope this helps a bit

John

Forum Member

Hey billyleach, I happen to work on the design/engineering side of the side backs you are talking about. Most of the seat backs out on the road are not made of any UHSS. However, He also brings up a great point about using a socket to remove the back frame. Most of the time you will find the bolts because welding the bracket is more difficult to control. The recliner takes a huge load during a crash. One thing to keep mind is the inboard recliner bolts maybe fairly close to a center console. So you could run into an instance where you cannot get the bolt out, or have to use an open-end wrench. There should be at least 20mm clearance to the bolt.

Also keep in mind that the airbag is usually mounted on the outboard side of the sseat, outside of the back frame. But the bag and plastic bezel around it called the “taco” can be much larger. There is also anti-whip lash technologies out there built into the headrest. If you are not careful cutting the components in the center of the back frame you could cause the headrest to move forward onto your patient. My company’s anti-whip lash product uses the lumbar in the center of the frame to pivot and move the headrest forward during a crash. Just something to consider. One last note on the anti-whip lash stuff, Volvo uses recliner brackets that pivot the seat back during a crash. I think Volvo is the one that uses Boron in their recliner brackets.

You will also have to cut some wires and maybe heating and cooling equipment in the seat once it is unbolted.
    Last edited by ff900; 01-11-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Forum Member

Exclamation Seat Frames with Seatbelts

Billy,

We had a wreck involving a Chevy Z71 sport truck in a blizzard. Passenger was wrapped around a set of 3/ea. 8" dia. trees and pinned in his seat. We pried the truck away from the trees enough to gain access to him. We then tried to cut the seatback to free him and.......no-go. The cutters didn't even dent it!!! We finally managed to move it enough to get him out. The next day at the facility it was stored in, we tried to sawz-all it. It immediately cleaned the teeth off! I couldn't believe it.
    In doing some research after-the-fact, I was basically told that the seatbacks with seatbelts integrated into them are made of some sort of alloy. At 1st I was told that they were magnesium or titanium, but later I was told that they were of a high strength alloy steel.
    Anyways....it was uncuttable. As of today we won't even try to cut another one.
    I'd be happy to hear if you have any info on these.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximI View Post
    Billy,

We had a wreck involving a Chevy Z71 sport truck in a blizzard. Passenger was wrapped around a set of 3/ea. 8" dia. trees and pinned in his seat. We pried the truck away from the trees enough to gain access to him. We then tried to cut the seatback to free him and.......no-go. The cutters didn't even dent it!!! We finally managed to move it enough to get him out. The next day at the facility it was stored in, we tried to sawz-all it. It immediately cleaned the teeth off! I couldn't believe it.
    In doing some research after-the-fact, I was basically told that the seatbacks with seatbelts integrated into them are made of some sort of alloy. At 1st I was told that they were magnesium or titanium, but later I was told that they were of a high strength alloy steel.
    Anyways....it was uncuttable. As of today we won't even try to cut another one.
    I'd be happy to hear if you have any info on these.
    Any idea of the approx year of the truck? T.C.

Forum Member

Default year?

Rescue101,

It was several years ago now. I'm guessing it at about a 2003-2005 model. Not really sure. I do know that it was a brand new truck at the time and of the mid 2000's.

Sorry for the double post!
    Last edited by MaximI; 01-13-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Forum Member

Default year?

T.C.,

It was several years ago now. I'm guessing it at about a 2003-2005 model. Not really sure. I do know that it was a brand new truck at the time and of the mid 2000's. Got any thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximI View Post
    T.C.,

It was several years ago now. I'm guessing it at about a 2003-2005 model. Not really sure. I do know that it was a brand new truck at the time and of the mid 2000's. Got any thoughts?
    Thanks for the Info. Now I'm gonna go try to find one. THEN find out what I can cut it with. OR.......If it WILL cut. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

T.C.,

If you find one, please let us all know the results of your efforts. Thanks.

Thread Information