Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default NW LA, East Texas & South Arkansas Posters .. Weather

Has the current weather caused you any problems yet?

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well......

What's up in that area??......

Up here, Temps in mid 20s - NW Wind at 20-35 - Clear and Dry. Few scattered Brush Fires.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    What's up in that area??......

Up here, Temps in mid 20s - NW Wind at 20-35 - Clear and Dry. Few scattered Brush Fires.......
    Freezing rain. Nothing on the roads yet though some of the bridges are getting somewhat sporty. Pretty fair accumulation on the trees with some wires down and transformer fires.

We were running 2-3 brush fires a day up until yesterday. I suspect we will be running them again in a few days.

I suspect there is more up towards the ARK line and into ARK

Snow on the way later as they are calling for 2-4". This area does not deal well with snow.

East TX and north of us has been getting snow for a couple of hours now and right now we are on the snow/freezing rain line.

As I type this, we have transitioned to sleet.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 01-09-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Forum Member

LA,

Here north of you in Texarkana. Heavy snowfall going on right now. Little over 3" at the house. We've been running grass fire also up until the rain and sleet started falling this morning. After that the guys been running their butts off on MVA's going to one after another. Nothing major so far just minors.

Hwoods- As LA said put little snow/ice/sleet on roads and all H*** breaks loose here. What would take major storm to shut the northeast down only few inch is need here. They already closed all schools down around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The snow is almost on us here in ga. Going to be crazy for the next few days.
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    The snow is almost on us here in ga. Going to be crazy for the next few days.
    Bet so it's been crazy here. Lucky my shift ended this morning before everything hit.

Updated pic little over hour later ans snow still coming down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by TAFD00367 View Post
    Updated pic little over hour later ans snow still coming down.
    That's us from Thanksgiving to St. Patty's day, and then some.

But we still have the out-of-towners (military, mostly) who have no clue. I'm sure that after they've been winched out of the median of the Interstate or a convenient ditch they slow down a bit.

We also get lake effect here, which has the effect of closing a curtain in front of you.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Oh come on...we have that much snow in August. I can see where it would be an issue with people not knowing how to drive on it. It's all about ease, ease into the accelerator ease onto the brake.

Quote Originally Posted by CGITCH View Post
    Oh come on...we have that much snow in August. I can see where it would be an issue with people not knowing how to drive on it. It's all about ease, ease into the accelerator ease onto the brake.
    You are right, but you must remember that we are talking about communities that close schools for the forecast of snow, not actual snow, just the forecast of!!!!

White Death 2011 has arrived.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    You are right, but you must remember that we are talking about communities that close schools for the forecast of snow, not actual snow, just the forecast of!!!!

I keep forgetting that. How many snow plows are in the State of LA?

Cause I have a feeling there are more snowplows in my town of 2500 than there are in the whole state.

Forum Member

Cause I have a feeling there are more snowplows in my town of 2500 than there are in the whole state.
    I doubt there are any plows.

The state DOT has some of their dump trucks rigged up with sanders, but they only do the interstate and major 2-lane state highways. I know of no local or city highway departments that have any rigs set up to sand or salt.

Just got back in the house. I was out with my VFD fgor about 5 hours where we worked 3 wrecks with 2 fatalities. While I was out with them D was monitoring my combo department (full-time gig) and they worked 10-11 wrecks in the same time span plus a few wires down (brought down by the trees) and a transformer fire.

The good news is the trailing edge of the precip is about 30 miles west of us. The bad news is it's going to stay cold and this stuff on the roads and steps and porches ain't gonna melt. Something tells me I'm going to be out much of the night with either m VFD or running with my combo department.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 01-09-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Forum Member

Yeah, I'm kinda excited about tomorrow, if it snows only a couple of inches the whole base shuts down. So friggin' funny!

Talking

I was in Atlanta one time on business, & they had what we wouldn't even bother to sweep off the windshield. In all honesty there was less than half an inch of wet snow and they closed down the world. Panic in the streets, raiding parties on the grocery stores, it was truly amazing and certainly funny to watch for a nawthernor that gets 130"+ of snow every winter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I was in Atlanta one time on business, & they had what we wouldn't even bother to sweep off the windshield. In all honesty there was less than half an inch of wet snow and they closed down the world. Panic in the streets, raiding parties on the grocery stores, it was truly amazing and certainly funny to watch for a nawthernor that gets 130"+ of snow every winter.
    Yeah, I lived in North Georgia for most of my life, it was hilarious how they reacted to snow.

No plows in Memphis either. Some sand/salt trucks, that's about it.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

They are already closing schools here in NC. Biggest problems we have here are that:

1.) People think having some sort of SUV means they know how to drive in the snow.
    2.) Every elderly shut in needs to go to the grocery store and buy milk and bread (and apparently pizza, because the freezer was near empty when I went by to get one for dinner after leaving the base tonight).
    3.) Most folks don't think about getting the HVAC, fireplace/chimney, Kerosene heaters looked at before the weather gets bad, then they attempt to use them and they develop fires/smoke/CO problems.
    4.) Sick people wait until the weather is at it's absolute worst to need to be seen. Then it's a "delta" call.
    5.) We have more ice issues here than snow. People still want to get out and drive because "the roads looked clear". See #1.
    6.) There are a lot of tourists here, as well as military. You people need to learn to STAY HOME WHEN IT SNOWS. See #1 & #5.

Stay safe out there!

Forum Member

Your right it wasn't 30 mins into the start of sleet/freezing rain and they started shutting down schools for tomorrow and calling off Sunday even church service.

Forum Member

No plows in Memphis either. Some sand/salt trucks, that's about it.
    Same here no plows, but have seen the Highway Dept./Public Works use their Road Graders/ Front end loaders to clear bridges and overpasses.

Walked out to our main road and it's covered in at least 3" of snow and no new fresh tire tracks, so guess people are listen to Local News/Radio and staying home.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFD00367 View Post
    LA,

Here north of you in Texarkana. Heavy snowfall going on right now. Little over 3" at the house. We've been running grass fire also up until the rain and sleet started falling this morning. After that the guys been running their butts off on MVA's going to one after another. Nothing major so far just minors.

Hwoods- As LA said put little snow/ice/sleet on roads and all H*** breaks loose here. What would take major storm to shut the northeast down only few inch is need here. They already closed all schools down around here.
    Well,that OUGHT to slow your brush fires down for a day or two. T.c.

I just went to the store, when I went in it was snowing a little. I stayed in the store for about 20-30 min when I came out there was 2" on the ground.
    Bring enough hose.

Thread Information