Forum Member

Default Finnform vs. Plywood

Can someone please confirm or deny application in a Trench Rescue using Finnform panels versus Plywood? It was explained to me that it is required to use 14-ply with my strongbacks as trench panels. Since 3/4" Finnform is actually 14-ply...this is what is recommended. Standard 3/4" plywood is only 7-ply and requires 2 layers thus making it very heavy to work with.

Forum Member

Our UTSAR team has FinnForm for use.....some specs...

The superior hardwood strength properties of Finnish White Birch combined with thin multiple veneer panel construction makes FinnForm the benchmark for quality in the plywood forming industry. The 220g/m2 phenolic surface film on both faces provides very high reusability while producing good, well-compacted concrete. That is why architects and specifiers select FinnForm for high profile concrete projects throughout the country. There is only one FinnForm—easily identified by its red colored film faces. FinnForm is available in thicknesses from 1/4" to 1 1/2". Standard sizes are 8'x4', 5'; 10'x4', 5'; 12'x4', 5'
    And if you look here, there are specs - http://www.pdusa.com/products/finnform2.htm

Forum Member

We use it as well. I have never used plywood before, but the FF is a heck of a lot easier to clean that I would imagine plywood being.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check your regs. Finn Form is 3/4 inch and the plywood required is 1 1/4 thick. The best explanation I have heard is that plywood (even that grade) is relatively easy to obtain where Finn Form in some regions is hard to purchase. Finn Forms also store well while plywood is more of a one use tool, because it doesn't weather as well.

Thread Information