Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default FFI II recertification Ocala, Florida

My current ffI II certs are about to expire in Apr. of 2011. Need to recertify in Ocala, because its already too late for me to become a volumteer. Just wanted to know about different experiences or information pertaining to the recertification process. Having been out of the academy for three yrs, i am concerned my skill level will not be sufficient to be successful on test day. if anyone has taken the refresher courseor know of anyone who has, please shed some light on the matter.......thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drod17 View Post
    My current ffI II certs are about to expire in Apr. of 2011. Need to recertify in Ocala, because its already too late for me to become a volumteer. Just wanted to know about different experiences or information pertaining to the recertification process. Having been out of the academy for three yrs, i am concerned my skill level will not be sufficient to be successful on test day. if anyone has taken the refresher courseor know of anyone who has, please shed some light on the matter.......thanks
    I completed my minimum standards back in may 2006, haven't been employed til just recently. Prior to being hired I had to take the re-cert in ocala just last July. The only test they require you to take is the practical (big 3). I took the 3 day refresher course in ocala which if i remember correctly it was $175 and $15/day for room and board. The web site to go to is "floridafireprograms.com." The dorms are actually pretty nice. I highly recommend taking the refresher course if your not confident. Not to mention, the plus side about taking the refresher course is your actual test date is scheduled i believe a few days after you take the refresher, so you won't lose any mental training and the instructors are great, they spend a lot of time with you until you get it right. I remember at test day, their were only two that didn't take the refresher on test day and one of the guys that didn't take the refresher left after his first evolution of the big 3 because he screwed up pretty bad. Again, I highly recommend the refresher course, you go into the practical exam with great confidence, good luck to ya!

Forum Member

big three? just scba,hose pull and ladder, no elements (fireground skills)fighting fire from ladder,knots ect..thank for the quick reply..

Forum Member

I've heard the exact same thing from someone who took the refresher.

There are several days of practice. On test day you do the exact same skills, with the exact same equipment and instructors, except this time you are being graded.

Forum Member

Another plus to taking the refresher course is that you do everything in the same exact spot on test day....so there are no surprises of the course set-up. The instructors also tell you the particulars that the fire marshals look for and what not to do as extra info. You know how strict they can get. Again, good luck!!

Make sure you sign up for the refresher course AND sign up with the state to take the recertification exam. They are two separate organizations, applications, fees, etc.

When I retested a few years ago, I met and hung out with a guy that flew in from California to challenge Florida's FFII. We took the refresher, and the morning of the test he was told to leave because he wasn't on the tester's roster. An expensive mistake for him.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by utilitycow View Post
    Make sure you sign up for the refresher course AND sign up with the state to take the recertification exam. They are two separate organizations, applications, fees, etc.

When I retested a few years ago, I met and hung out with a guy that flew in from California to challenge Florida's FFII. We took the refresher, and the morning of the test he was told to leave because he wasn't on the tester's roster. An expensive mistake for him.
    How did he fly in to challenge Florida certs? Florida does not allow challenging...

Quote Originally Posted by jmznshana View Post
    How did he fly in to challenge Florida certs? Florida does not allow challenging...
    Florida accepts some other certifications as equivalent to taking the Florida fire class, but you still have to take the Florida state test. They consider the specific curriculum and hours. There was the guy from California and a guy working as a structural firefighter for the Air Force that was being discharged soon. The Air Force guy finished and is certified as a FFII in Florida now. The guy from Cali just hauled *** without saying goodbye, so I have no idea what happened to him.
    You'd probably have to call the state to see who's certifications they accept because I've never seen a list online.
    ...at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    All I did was type in Florida Bureau of Fire Stan...... in google. I got the link, and found this page.
    Thanks, Fuss. Guess I could have done that but was a little lazy.
    ...at this time.

mikesica

Default Miami to Ocala??

Is anybody from the Miami area headed to Ocala for the upcoming Fire Fighter II Retention and Exam next week??

I am registered with confirmation but we are a one car family and I need a ride up to Ocala.

I am willing to pay for gas if I could hitch a ride?

Mike Sica
    954 557 9806

MembersZone Subscriber

Did any of you end up doing the Re-Cert? I plan on going in May to do it and was wondering if it was changed again. Someone was telling me that its completely different from the Triple/Big 3 now.

Is it still the standard triple/big 3?

- don SCBA
    - advance hoseline
    - knock over cones
    - raise ladder

Quote Originally Posted by HatchetHarry View Post
    Did any of you end up doing the Re-Cert? I plan on going in May to do it and was wondering if it was changed again. Someone was telling me that its completely different from the Triple/Big 3 now.

Is it still the standard triple/big 3?

- don SCBA
    - advance hoseline
    - knock over cones
    - raise ladder
    Take the class and you'll have everything you need to pass.
    ...at this time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by utilitycow View Post
    Take the class and you'll have everything you need to pass.
    Yea I definitely plan on taking it but I'm just curious if its different now

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HatchetHarry View Post
    Yea I definitely plan on taking it but I'm just curious if its different now
    Yes take the refresher! The instructors however did talk about the retention practical changing this year. When? I couldn't tell you. I can tell you that it involved starting with yourself in your your standard fire academy uniform, the tester starts the time, you jump into full bunker gear, go into the rear cab to don your scba, unhook and jump out of the cab, the instructor will probably then stop time and tell you orders (it could be entry into a maze, deploying a hoseline then going up a ladder, forcible entry etc.) Again this was what I heard the instructors at the FL. St. Fire Academy talking about regarding a possible change in the practical.

Forum Member

Sorry to bring up an old post but has anyone recently taken the recertification test this year? Has anything changed from the Big 3? Does the recertification have to be done before your certs expire or can I do them right after expiration? Thanks for any info.

TyD
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepr00f View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old post but has anyone recently taken the recertification test this year? Has anything changed from the Big 3? Does the recertification have to be done before your certs expire or can I do them right after expiration? Thanks for any info.

I didnt see the new test covered. I went and had to recert. When i tested out of the academy it was the big 3.

It is different now.. they call it the bigger two.

you begin outside the engine and have to completly don all of your gear. jump in engine don scba. pull and flake hose. call for water and bleed hose and then you have to go on air and make a radio call. "FF1 entering building" pull hose and knock down cones make radio call tht fire is out and time stops.

you then take your mask off and you walk directly to ladder. time starts remove ladder and correctly raise it. then you grab a tool and proceed to another portion of the building. again you have to go on air and make a radio call. climb a ladder, sound floor and enter building. do a search pattern as told left or right by examiner. go down the stairs and grab a 150lb dummy and drag the dummy out. time stops when dummy clears the building. you then go directly to fireground skills which is tieing a hose for hoisting, and things like that...

in conclusion, TAKE THE REFRESHER.
    Reserve FF/EMT HCFR sta 05
    Medic Student at SPC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tydougherty View Post
    I didnt see the new test covered. I went and had to recert. When i tested out of the academy it was the big 3.

It is different now.. they call it the bigger two.

in conclusion, TAKE THE REFRESHER.
    As tydougherty said in his above post, it has changed. It is now called the Super 2. There are actually a few components to it.

Part 1: Starting outside the engine, you are in station uniform. You get geared up, go in the engine, go on air, and then have to pull a designated hose load (tripple, flat, or minute man). You lay out the hose and call for water. Once you have water, make entry. You have to then knock down 3 cones, two off to the side, and one straight ahead, about 50 ft away. Once the cones are down, then your time stops and you come off air. The time for this in the academy was under 4:30.

Part 2: Not sure if they will include this in the state recert or not. We had to walk around the tower to a tarp. They had various tools laid out. They told us a tool name. We had to identify it, what it was used for, and tie it off for hoisting. Time was under 2:00 if I remember right.

Part 3 & 4: Ladder raise & entry. Leave the tool tarp area and walk around to the engine. Remove the extension ladder from the engine and walk to the designated point. Correctly raise the extension ladder, tie it off, and rotate. Once secured, go to the fixed ladder in the window. Go back on air, grab the tool, and climb the ladder to the 2nd story window. Enter the structure and do a left hand search. Once down the stairs, grab the 165 lb dummy and remove from the building. Time stops once you have exited the building. Time for these two portions is 4:30 or less.

There are several commands you have to say at various points as well. I can't remember them all now. For PPE, lowbell, pass activated, psi in the tank and that kind of stuff. For entry to the structures, you have to call on a radio Firefighter candidate #1 entering structure or Firefire candidate #1 exited structure with victim. I would really suggest attending the refresher to be safe. I'm sure you would hate to fail over simple things. Good luck.
    Last edited by Longshot; 02-21-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Thread Information