1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default Used Portable Radios

    Hello everyone. I volunteer on a newly formed K9 Search and Rescue group. We are all volunteer and expenses are coming out of our pockets for equipment and training. I was looking to see if there are any departments out there that may be changing over portable radios. We are looking for a department or individual to possible donate at least 8 to 10 portables that they may not be using anymore. Like I said all expenses are coming out of pocket, so we are looking for a donation on this very important piece of equipment. If any one can help out, please contact me at cjensenffemt@aol.com. Thanks Chris J (K9 Handler)

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N. Ridgeville, Ohio
    Posts
    811

    Default

    What sort of radios are you looking for? UHF, VHF, etc?
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    What sort of radios are you looking for? UHF, VHF, etc?
    Well sir at this time, being a newly formed Search and Rescue group we are looking for any type of radios that can be donated to us. Once we have radios we will be applying to the FCC for a frequency. If your department is in CT where we are located we would be glad to come and give your department a demo as to what are K9's are capable of. You can contact me directly (203)6736429 Chris Jensen

    Thank You

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    We are going online with our new narrowband system Saturday.

    I am meeting with our mutual aid partners that day as well and will ask if anyone has plans for their old hand held or mobile radios that are now unusable or unwanted with the new system.

    You might check the AFG grant awardees for regional radio communications awards.

    Out with the old and in with the new, means the old has to go somewhere.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SARK9Roxy View Post
    Well sir at this time, being a newly formed Search and Rescue group we are looking for any type of radios that can be donated to us. Once we have radios we will be applying to the FCC for a frequency. If your department is in CT where we are located we would be glad to come and give your department a demo as to what are K9's are capable of. You can contact me directly (203)6736429 Chris Jensen

    Thank You
    Are you a part of CCSAR? Are you recognized by any agency up in CT? 501C3?

    What band do you need the radios on?

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    We are going online with our new narrowband system Saturday.

    I am meeting with our mutual aid partners that day as well and will ask if anyone has plans for their old hand held or mobile radios that are now unusable or unwanted with the new system.

    You might check the AFG grant awardees for regional radio communications awards.

    Out with the old and in with the new, means the old has to go somewhere.
    They will be unable to use any wideband only equipment. Since they don't have a license yet, FCC is issuing only narrowband licenses now.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Are you a part of CCSAR? Are you recognized by any agency up in CT? 501C3?

    What band do you need the radios on?
    CCSAR is a well established agency with radios and equipment already. So I suspect they are definitely not part.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    No we are not affiliated with CCSAR. Connecticut actually has a couple of different Search and Rescue groups. Checking with the FCC we need to apply for a business license, so it will not be narrow band. We are not affiliated with any specific fire, police or ems agency, but work with several diffent departments.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,994

    Default

    So you are just some folks who are trying to get it going, but have no formal recognition. Your first step should be getting your dogs to where they can do the absolute minimums, like passing the AKC Canine Good Citizen test. If your dog can't pass that, you have issues there my friend. Have you tried taking Roxy to the grocery store, and getting her more familiar with strangers?

    I have 5 Chows, and they all passed.

    The good news, if you do ever get deployed, the agency requesting you should have some cache radios if you need them, but normally you are with members of the requesting agency who already have radios.

    And no, you WILL HAVE TO GO NARROWBAND. Even for a business license. (if you were a formal SAR group you would be able to get a license in the public safety bands)

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    We are just starting out. Some of the dogs are already certified through International Police Work Dog Association, certified in live find and cadaver for about 6 years now. All but 1 dog has CGC certification.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    [QUOTE=SARK9Roxy;1242415]We are just starting out. Some of the dogs are already certified through International Police Work Dog Association, certified in live find and cadaver for about 6 years now. All but 1 dog has CGC certification. Most of the members have fire and/or ems backgrounds for several years and also have K9 SAR experience coming from other groups. It is a work in progrees, but we just are not off the street not really knowing anything saying we want to do this.
    Last edited by SARK9Roxy; 01-24-2011 at 02:40 PM.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SARK9Roxy View Post
    Checking with the FCC we need to apply for a business license, so it will not be narrow band.
    Oh you certainly will be narrow band. In fact, "business licenses" weren't even given the extensions and leeway that public safety licenses were. You will be required to use narrow band like everyone else. So that means when you purchase used radios, you better make sure they're capable of doing it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. AFG Portable Radios
    By ILFD817 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 09:40 PM
  2. Grants for portable radios
    By dmleblanc in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-17-2006, 01:49 PM
  3. Looking for new portable radios... you should look at these!
    By toddman in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 05:06 PM
  4. Once the Source of a Dispute, New Fire Radios Hit the Field
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2003, 10:19 AM
  5. Thoughts on Portable Radios
    By TowerLadders Forever in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-21-2001, 10:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register