Forum Member

Default Firefighting-related Tattoos - for everyone?

So a group of guys at the station all got fire-related tattoos last weekend. They look real nice, but of the group that got them, two were volunteers. Now, I'm of the mind do-whatever-you-want, but, aside from the career guys that got them as well, the rest of the guys at work are giving them both a lot of crap for getting them as volunteers. Personally I think a firefighter is a firefighter in this sense because in our department they do the same jobs and both of these guys have seen their share of real fire and rescue situations, but it got me thinking - what's the general consensus? What are your thoughts on volunteers getting firefighting tattoos?

Forum Member

I don't think Red Cross volunteers should have fire related tattoos. Neither should pizza delivery dudes, astronauts, baggage handlers, buisness executives, Hitler, taco truck drivers, mayonnaise manufacturers, school teachers, grave diggers, lottery ball spinners, big band leaders, ventriloquists, cops, burglars, hoteliers, sprocket distributors, babies, blacksmiths, cats, flowers, peanuts, bowlers, astronomers, soothsayers, dentists, prostitutes, seismologists, hobos, Justin Bieber, poets, morticians, zombies, bureaucrats, arm wrestlers, cashiers, the Pope, NASCAR drivers, mercenaries, or shrimp boat captains. But I can't stop them.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I think the forums have hit ROCK BOTTOM.

Have fun boys.......
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I think the forums have hit ROCK BOTTOM.

Have fun boys.......
    Loo, it has already had hit rock bottom before this thread hit the site.

More or less about like the watch desk.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I couldn't begin to pretend to care whether volunteers or career firefighters get tattoos or don't. And the fact that someone else doesn't approve of those tattoos sounds like a bunch of playground BS. Obviously some of the career guys didn't care that they were volunteers when they all went to get the tattoos originally so what's the big deal.

Frankly I find nonsense like this ridiculous. How about we worry about the way the economy and politicians are shredding FD funding and staffing? How about we worry about our training levels? How about we worry about building construction that collapses within minutes of being exposed to fire? How about we worry about the new wave of charlatans who seek to destroy the fire service with their overzealous safety initiatives? Or isn't that as important as some guys giving other guys **** about their tattoos?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I couldn't begin to pretend to care whether volunteers or career firefighters get tattoos or don't. And the fact that someone else doesn't approve of those tattoos sounds like a bunch of playground BS. Obviously some of the career guys didn't care that they were volunteers when they all went to get the tattoos originally so what's the big deal.

Frankly I find nonsense like this ridiculous. How about we worry about the way the economy and politicians are shredding FD funding and staffing? How about we worry about our training levels? How about we worry about building construction that collapses within minutes of being exposed to fire? How about we worry about the new wave of charlatans who seek to destroy the fire service with their overzealous safety initiatives? Or isn't that as important as some guys giving other guys **** about their tattoos?
    Amen hallelujah! Testify, Brother, testify!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I don't think Red Cross volunteers should have fire related tattoos. Neither should pizza delivery dudes, astronauts, baggage handlers, buisness executives, Hitler, taco truck drivers, mayonnaise manufacturers, school teachers, grave diggers, lottery ball spinners, big band leaders, ventriloquists, cops, burglars, hoteliers, sprocket distributors, babies, blacksmiths, cats, flowers, peanuts, bowlers, astronomers, soothsayers, dentists, prostitutes, seismologists, hobos, Justin Bieber, poets, morticians, zombies, bureaucrats, arm wrestlers, cashiers, the Pope, NASCAR drivers, mercenaries, or shrimp boat captains. But I can't stop them.
    You forgot obama, John bell hood and Stonewall jackson.
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    Why you gotta bring Stonewall Jackson into this?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Talking

If they want to risk getting Hepatitis or a nasty blood infection go right ahead and get the ink job, Don't make them any more a man.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    But ole Ben Franklin rates one don't he?

Back In Black

Did they hold hands when they got their tattoos?

Seriously though... who the hell cares?

What are you 9 years old?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down And.......

You ARE kidding, right?.... Sorry, I think that this is an incredible waste of time. If someone wants a Tattoo, Fine, that's their business. Personally, I really don't like Tattoos or Jewelry on Guys, but that's America, they're entitled to it........ Amend that to I really don't like Tattoos. Period.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Did they hold hands when they got their tattoos?

Seriously though... who the hell cares?

What are you 9 years old?
    I'm not 9 years old, no. Nor do I care that they got them. I was fine with it. I'm among those who thinks it's ridiculous the career guys who did care flipped them sh*t. No one said it made them more manly, nor was that the intent. My only question was if I was just somehow out of line and these career guys were somehow acting accordingly to give people they deem, "just volunteers," hell for getting a firefighting related tattoo.

Don't shoot the messenger!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile And..........

Dirty Axe - No Problem with the Messenger Bro. I just think that those who are stirrin' stuff back at the station are idiots.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Frankly I find nonsense like this ridiculous. How about we worry about the way the economy and politicians are shredding FD funding and staffing? How about we worry about our training levels?
    A mid-level manager was ranting and raving about a two dollar item on a subordinates expense voucher.

One of his employees asked, "Boss, you deal with hundreds of thousands of dollars every day - why worry about two bucks?"

The boss replied, "To be perfectly honest with you, all those hundreds of thousands of dollars are just too much to comprehend. But two dollars - that I understand."

Funding, staffing, training - those are items we can't usually directly affect as individuals. But a tattoo - that we understand.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Dirty Axe - No Problem with the Messenger Bro. I just think that those who are stirrin' stuff back at the station are idiots.......
    I agree! And it's probably no coincidence that the ones putting them down are our most overweight and relatively lazy career guys. Low self-esteem maybe?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    A mid-level manager was ranting and raving about a two dollar item on a subordinates expense voucher.

One of his employees asked, "Boss, you deal with hundreds of thousands of dollars every day - why worry about two bucks?"

The boss replied, "To be perfectly honest with you, all those hundreds of thousands of dollars are just too much to comprehend. But two dollars - that I understand."

Funding, staffing, training - those are items we can't usually directly affect as individuals. But a tattoo - that we understand.
    So let me understand this. Some guys get tattoos. Some other guys give them **** about that. Sounds like a normal day in the firehouse. Golly what would happen if a guy gave you **** about your car? Or dog? Or neighborhood you live in? Would it call for hand holding and meetings about sensitivity? Geezus grow the hell up and move on.

A tattoo versus the issues I mentioned is a pimple on the *** of the fire service in level of importance. If you believe you have NO influence on any issues you are right.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

In NY, you have to submit an application to get a tattoo to the State Fire Administrator. He'll make a determination based on design, department affiliation, status as career, part time, paid on call, or volunteer, time on the job, and whatever else he feels. Once approved you may get the tattoo affixed to your skin. Unauthorized tattoos will be forcibly removed. Currently the NYSPFFA is lobbying to have the ding dongs banned from having tattoos, and all existing ones removed. I am wholeheartedly support this. I am ok with part timers having tattoos as long as they log an average of 20 or more hours a week.

Forum Member

Tell your vollies to grow a set, 1. If they can't stand up for themselves they need to find a new line if work. 2. If they can't defend the ink they put on them selves they had no business getting them.

Thats coming from a tattooed volly/paid firefighter.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    In NY, you have to submit an application to get a tattoo to the State Fire Administrator. He'll make a determination based on design, department affiliation, status as career, part time, paid on call, or volunteer, time on the job, and whatever else he feels. Once approved you may get the tattoo affixed to your skin. Unauthorized tattoos will be forcibly removed. Currently the NYSPFFA is lobbying to have the ding dongs banned from having tattoos, and all existing ones removed. I am wholeheartedly support this. I am ok with part timers having tattoos as long as they log an average of 20 or more hours a week.
    Your kidding me.........right?

Forum Member

Nope, its a great system. Really cuts down on the ugly tattoos. I forgot to mention you can only go to certain tattoo parlors that are registered with the state for firefighter tattoos. It'll be such a sweet day when the vollys can get tat's anymore.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Axe View Post
    I'm not 9 years old, no. Nor do I care that they got them. I was fine with it. I'm among those who thinks it's ridiculous the career guys who did care flipped them sh*t. No one said it made them more manly, nor was that the intent. My only question was if I was just somehow out of line and these career guys were somehow acting accordingly to give people they deem, "just volunteers," hell for getting a firefighting related tattoo.

Don't shoot the messenger!
    Are you telling me you really need help figuring this whole thing out?

Wow
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Nope, its a great system. Really cuts down on the ugly tattoos. I forgot to mention you can only go to certain tattoo parlors that are registered with the state for firefighter tattoos. It'll be such a sweet day when the vollys can get tat's anymore.
    Oh I remember this! It's not a new idea I remember this from news reals from the 1940's but it was hard to understand because the narration was in GERMAN!

It's my own opinion but that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard, it borders on the line of mental retardation.

Forum Member

Nameless I apologize, in this fading republic I could see something like that, honestly my bad.
    Last edited by webteam; 01-12-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Response to jerkpuke

Forum Member

Let's go to the Pm's bud this thread doesn't need any more derailment. Let's see YOU put your money where your mouth is and see if you wanna keep this up out of the publics eye, where your trolling can't pollute anything else. Balls in your court

Thread Information