+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Madison Fire Department 2011

Forum Member

Jeans and t shirt are fine. At this point, you are not trying to make a proffesional impression. Dress appropriate. no holes in jeans etc.

Forum Member

Really, think about this a little bit, you are taking a written test which is split between a morning and afternoon time. You will have literally thousands taking the test. Nobody at the test site is really going to remember you, nor really your name (unless you already know someone). So really you don't have to go overboard when it comes to dressing up.
    Yeah, that's kind of how I feel about it, too. Thousands of people. It's not an interview.

The physical agility test in Madison is NOT the CPAT. They do their own version, there are aspects of the CPAT in it, but each individual event is timed. One also does not have to pass each event to pass the test overall, it is based on a points system.
    Hmm...I'm not too sure about this one only because I know 2 people who each failed different tests and it sounds as if they were disqualified because of it.

Although it would be really awesome if you are right on this, so I'm crossing my fingers!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 721nle View Post
    Hmm...I'm not too sure about this one only because I know 2 people who each failed different tests and it sounds as if they were disqualified because of it.

Although it would be really awesome if you are right on this, so I'm crossing my fingers!
    Regarding the written test, yep, there will be a lot of people and really those taking part in it as either a name taker or test taker really has no say in the interview process, so really there is no reason to "dress for success" as some may say.

As for their PAT, like I mentioned, it is NOT the CPAT. You put on a coat, helmet, gloves (no pants) and an SCBA for the test....different already from the CPAT. The test consisted of a stair climb on a step mill, followed by a ladder "take down" (a roof ladder at apparatus height) place it in a marked area, then do a ladder extension, don't let the ladder drop, go back and replace the roof ladder. Then you do a hose advance, followed by a roof simulator, search maze, victim carry, and then a ceiling push pull, which can be quite tough especially at the end.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

How'd everyones written exams go?

I felt good about the reading comprehension. Everything else I just answered honestly and hopefully they like what they see.

Forum Member

any updated news ????

Forum Member

Default Pat

Took the written test, didnt seem to bad.

Does anyone have any more details about the PAT. I watched the video on the Madison website, are the times for the physical test ranked or is it pass fail?

Has anyone taken this test before that can offer any tips?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grn bay View Post
    Took the written test, didnt seem to bad.

Does anyone have any more details about the PAT. I watched the video on the Madison website, are the times for the physical test ranked or is it pass fail?

Has anyone taken this test before that can offer any tips?
    The individual events are based on a points system, there are some critical fail points for some events, but the events are individually timed, not an overall time. The tip I would give is to take advantage of the practice sessions when offered and when it comes to the search maze, to do a proper search. Also, the last station, the pike pole station, can be brutal, in order to get max points for the station you have to do so many sets of push/pulls and so many reps. By the end your gloves can slip and it is difficult to keep a grip.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WTF227 View Post
    any updated news ????
    At this point its a whole lot of hurry up and wait. I believe we don't get the word if we move on until the end of the month.

Forum Member

Anybody get their letter this week? I had a buddy who got his saying he's not moving on but I didn't even get a letter.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have heard nothing

Forum Member

Got my letter, I will be participating in the physical exam.

Forum Member

I just received my invite to participate in the physical agility test. I was hoping for a written exam test score, but no luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Received my letter to participate in the physical ability exam. If this process is like the last hiring process rankings will not be handed out until after an Oral Board Interview (next step after physical ability exam). You will then be assigned a group to participate in an interview with Chief Amesqua at a later date.

Forum Member

Mine came today. It was mailed on the 25th. Test set for May 25th. Anyone know how many took the written exam and how many moved to the PAT?

Forum Member

Got my letter, moving on good luck to all .

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats to those of you moving on, I wish you the best, I will not be.

Forum Member

Angry

I can probably speak for a bunch of people when I say the fire service is no longer a plcae where certifications or job experience mean anything. You have a bunch of people showing up for tests that have no business being in the fire service. They simply want a job. The Madison test proved just that. Cities like Madison are not worried about what you have done in your career, they're more worried about diversity. I say if that's what they want, good luck with that!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by leatherhead1807 View Post
    I can probably speak for a bunch of people when I say the fire service is no longer a plcae where certifications or job experience mean anything. You have a bunch of people showing up for tests that have no business being in the fire service. They simply want a job. The Madison test proved just that. Cities like Madison are not worried about what you have done in your career, they're more worried about diversity. I say if that's what they want, good luck with that!!
    I don't know how long you've been in the fire service but experience and certifications never meant anything.

Forum Member

Its true, there is a reason they have a "fire academy" they train their people the way they want them to perform. They would almost prefer no prior experience to limit bad habits. It's been like this for years for departments across the us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJ770 View Post
    I don't know how long you've been in the fire service but experience and certifications never meant anything.
    I've got 13 years on the job. IMO it's still BS! But what are you going to do? I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Forum Member

did anyone else go to the practice session for the PAT? What did you think about it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TTRENGSTROM54241 View Post
    did anyone else go to the practice session for the PAT? What did you think about it?
    kind of a laid back practice. no jackets or scba were given out, just gloves and helmets. we were allowed to try all but the search station. being able to go through it gave me the opportunity to figure out the little techniques that can make the difference in just passing or getting the bonus points. wearing more gear and starting on the stairmill it will be a lot different.

Forum Member

Yup I thought it was pretty good. Just a little worried about the search trainer because they wont let us practice that. Other than that i'm pretty certain that i'll be winded after. I also think I wont have a problem getting all 7 points as long as I can do well in the search.

Forum Member

How did everyone's PAT go?

Forum Member

Went ok. Couldn't get the 20 sets in the pike pole event, only got to 17. How did everyone else do?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information