+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Madison Fire Department 2011

Forum Member

I was told by a madison firefighter that they distrubte candidates, with high scores within the bands, evenly to make sure they hire someone that did well in the testing process. In other words you could have done awesome and still end up in B, C, or D. I am in group A and was told that doese'nt mean that I necessarily did better than someone in the other bands. Not sure how true this is but it's something to think about.

Forum Member

that would make a lot of sense actually....why would they ever need to move past group A or B if they put all the lower scores in C and D?

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to sure how accurate that is. They start with group A and work their way down the list. Only time will tell if an academy ever comes about.

Forum Member

Default group information

I found out that the groups are ranked from A - D. A being the highest ranked, D being the lowest ranked( Ranked meaning overall score so far in process). Figured most might know this but some may not. They start at group A with interviews and hiring and work there way down eventually.

-Jeff

Forum Member

Has anybody heard anything about the department potentially laying off personnel?

Forum Member

I recently did hear about layoffs, I can't recall the number off the top of my head but I know it was QUITE a few.

Forum Member

yeah unfortunately there's going to be taking 6 % cut on there staff. A lot of people are suppose to be retiring, if the retiree's actually retire then that should actually prevent layoffs and leave enough openings for a class. If not, we'll probably all get passed over. No money no jobs. So yeah there cutting 18 firefighters!!!! That sucks.

Forum Member

It's a proposed cut. The mayor wants the agencies to create a plan that shows a 5% cut, but the town will never allow it. The taxpayers are def on board to not cut essential services. Whenever a municipality wants to scare a budget into change, they always ''attack'' emergency services first to get a reaction. Plus, Madison was in line to open a 13th station. Simply by not going ahead with that plan, you save the 18 right there.

You can't afford, with retirements, transfers and promotions, to not have a recruit class for 2+ years. It sets yourself up for future short staffing problems.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firechicken72 View Post
    I was told by a madison firefighter that they distrubte candidates, with high scores within the bands, evenly to make sure they hire someone that did well in the testing process. In other words you could have done awesome and still end up in B, C, or D. I am in group A and was told that doese'nt mean that I necessarily did better than someone in the other bands. Not sure how true this is but it's something to think about.

Bands don't really matter too much. A person in a lower band has just as good of shot. I personally know people who were in a low band and hired over someone in a higher band. The band rankings pretty much mean you would interview first, but doesn't mean you have a better shot. Also, since their list is 2 years, if they interview say A, B, and C bands for one hiring and anticipate hiring off the same list in the future, and you already interviewed because you were A band, well you chances of getting hired aren't too good.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Makes sense...and correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't have it front of me at the moment, but doesn't the letter say bands were created based on statistical evaluation of your test scores? I don't recall it saying the bands were ranked by highest to lowest.

Forum Member

I called Madison HR and they told me the bands are ranked highest to lowest. A being the highest scores D being the lowest. This is a fact! does not mean that A will get hired over a D band, the highest scores rightfully get to interview first. If u cant interview well, you're not going to get hired. Oh and it looks like they are going to try and furlough not lay off. Enough people r able to retire so maybe they wont even have to worry about it. Who knows. Its not something everybody should be worried about.

Forum Member

Fair enough! Then here's to the best of luck for everyone interviewing. Let's hope everything works out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firechicken72 View Post
    I called Madison HR and they told me the bands are ranked highest to lowest. A being the highest scores D being the lowest. This is a fact! does not mean that A will get hired over a D band, the highest scores rightfully get to interview first. If u cant interview well, you're not going to get hired. Oh and it looks like they are going to try and furlough not lay off. Enough people r able to retire so maybe they wont even have to worry about it. Who knows. Its not something everybody should be worried about.

No offense, but HR doesn't always have the inside info. I can't speak as to how Madison FD ranks candidates etc, but I do know people personally in a higher band that did not score the max on the PAT etc. Just some food for thought. I also recall the first time I took the test and a co-worker was in the "C" band, he didn't get an interview by the time they amassed the first class from the list. We had the union president speaking to our class one day and there was to be a second hiring from the list, he asked if anyone was in the A, B, or C bands and a few raised their hands, and he gave them the bad news they wouldn't get the job, because they were going to the D and up bands.

Now, say even if the best scorers are in the higher bands, what does matter to MFD is personality and if the candidate would fit in with the dept. The dept is diverse and embraces diversity and that means that just being the highest test scorer or best PAT score, doesn't mean you would have the right personality or fit for the job. Not an aspect I personally agree with, but that is how they do it and it works for them.

I say this not to knock anyone down, and MFD is a great dept to work for and a great city, but if getting an interview shot, then good luck, because that will be the determining factor moreso than scores.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Default Has anyone from "Group A" heard anything?

Has anyone from "Group A" heard anything?

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything from Madison and if they are going to be hiring anyone off of the list this year?
    Last edited by grn bay; 12-28-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Forum Member

As far as I know they're still on a hiring freeze.

Forum Member

Still nothing?

Forum Member

Unhappy

well, on the bright side, it cant be too long until they start taking applications again.

Forum Member

Looks like the application process opens up again this fall

Forum Member

The waiting game...

MembersZone Subscriber

From Madison Fire Website: We will be conducting interviews for a select number of individuals on the current firefighter eligibility list. An official notice will be sent to those individuals the week of April 2, 2012 letting you know the dates and times of these interviews.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got a letter yesterday for an interview on April 26th. It says they are interviewing in anticipation of a fall 2012 class. At least they're gonna get one class off this list.

Forum Member

Good luck to all those chosen for interviews

Forum Member

Anybody who interviewed know when we're supposed to hear anything?

MembersZone Subscriber

No I have no idea when we're supposed to hear. At this point probably just wait to hear if your references are getting contacted becuase we probably won't hear anything from the department til the conditional offer or thanks, but no thanks letter comes.

I thought the interview went decently well. It was a more traditional fire interview feel than I was expecting but I think mine went good. Any one else interview have any input or feelings?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread Information