+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Madison Fire Department 2011

Forum Member

Default Madison Fire Department 2011

Hey everyone,

Wanted to start a thread for the 2011 hiring period for the Madison Fire Department for everyone to see how each other are doing in the process, if you got letters, if you're moving on etc.

Received my letter to take the written test on Monday, January 24th today. Everyone else?

Wes

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Madison

Have not got the letter yet but found out via HR that there ar 1500 applicants and they plan to hire 45 new recruits over the next two years. with that many applicants and only hiring 45 I am not sure it is worth it for me to fly out there from Boston and to take unpaid time from work. I am still debating it though. anyone else flying in to take the test or is it mostly residents?

Forum Member

I am driving in from Michigan. I don't have any previous FF experience so I'm already behind the eight-ball. Oh well, gotta test to get anywhere.

Truckie

Go for it! Not only is it a great job, but Madison is one seriously fun town!!! LOL
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Forgot to mention that HR said there is no residency preference but veterans get additional points for the exam. I am not sure how many they get. I am not a vet and have no FF experience. The only thing I got is my EMT. like someone said if you want to get on you have to test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DevelopmentHell View Post
    I am driving in from Michigan. I don't have any previous FF experience so I'm already behind the eight-ball. Oh well, gotta test to get anywhere.

Do they require you to have ff experience?

Most large departments don't as they will train you to their standards. If you do it would help you in doing certain tasks.

If not, take the entrance test. Most of them is a general aptitude test. If you score high on that and you need to than you probably will take a physical agility, or as some are call cpat, and this sees if you can follow orders. Raising a 24 ft extension ladder, dragging a hose line x number of feet, a chopping type test and maybe a few others. If you are in good physical shape and can follow directions and fast enough you'll do good .

Think Postive!!

Veterans normally get a 5 point addition.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Except in Massachusetts where they go to the top of the list regarless how they do on the written exam hence why I am testing out of state.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    Except in Massachusetts where they go to the top of the list regarless how they do on the written exam hence why I am testing out of state.
    Who goes to the top in Mass?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you lived in Mass my assumption is you would. Veterans get preference before anyone else as long as you pass the test. You have to get anything above a score of 70.

Forum Member

OH gotcha. Yea, I dont live there. I've been testing out of state aswell.

Forum Member

Hey, I'm just wondering when everyone got their test date letters? I still haven't received one, and am getting a little nervous about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have not recieved a letter either but I called and they have my name on the list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Do they require you to have ff experience?

Most large departments don't as they will train you to their standards. If you do it would help you in doing certain tasks.

If not, take the entrance test. Most of them is a general aptitude test. If you score high on that and you need to than you probably will take a physical agility, or as some are call cpat, and this sees if you can follow orders. Raising a 24 ft extension ladder, dragging a hose line x number of feet, a chopping type test and maybe a few others. If you are in good physical shape and can follow directions and fast enough you'll do good .

Think Postive!!

Veterans normally get a 5 point addition.

Captain, they do not require any past FF experience. Just general aptitude.

Forum Member

i got a letter from Madison and so did about 6 other people that i know. We are all testing in the morning of the 24th. not a far drive for us only about an hour.

Forum Member

there is a packet on their website that has a sample of the test qeustions and the physical test.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my letter for 12:30 on 1/24.

Forum Member

my test time is 0700

Forum Member

12:30 here. Anybody thinking about dressing up a little bit?

Forum Member

I was in Madison this past weekend. I talked to a fellow that says he was hired on and starts in August. He is currently attending medical training right now. He said he is originally from Madison and had attended a firefighter program there. I believe there is a votech program for prefire service training in Madison?

When my girlfriend and I were driving around, we got to see some of the apparatus responding down the streets to calls.

Forum Member

I was happy to see that there is a thread about this!

WDFF18: I was thinking about dressing nice, but then I thought that jeans might suffice. Maybe not, though?

FIRE117- Yes- there is a course in Madison for Fire Service. I know a woman who didn't make through the physical test her first time applying, she took the courses & made it through the second time.

Forum Member

Always dress for success. Consider each step as important as your final interview. You never know when someone important is watching or may notice you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by runningamuk View Post
    Always dress for success. Consider each step as important as your final interview. You never know when someone important is watching or may notice you.
    Agreed. Here's a good thread about the topic if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97082 (what to wear to oral interview)

Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

MATC offers, I believe it's a single semester, Fire Academy. It covers WI State Entry Level Firefighter, Firefighter 1, Firefighter 2, and HazMat Operations Certificate.

They also offer a 2 year associates degree in Fire Science, called the Fire Protection Technician Program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WDFF18 View Post
    Captain, they do not require any past FF experience. Just general aptitude.
    No experience is needed, nor is it necessary. MFD will take anyone that they believe fits their department, they are a very diverse dept and pride themselves on that. The written test consists of a picture to study and questions asked about it, general questions, basic math, reading, etc, then there is also a personality test.

The physical agility test in Madison is NOT the CPAT. They do their own version, there are aspects of the CPAT in it, but each individual event is timed. One also does not have to pass each event to pass the test overall, it is based on a points system.

I do not work for Madison, but have tested and was offered a job, but was already working in my current job. I know several folks on MFD and it is a great department, a progressive dept, and one of the few that keep growing in this state.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 721nle View Post
    I was happy to see that there is a thread about this!

WDFF18: I was thinking about dressing nice, but then I thought that jeans might suffice. Maybe not, though?

FIRE117- Yes- there is a course in Madison for Fire Service. I know a woman who didn't make through the physical test her first time applying, she took the courses & made it through the second time.

Jeans will suffice, yes, you hear about every step in the job process is an interview and so on and so forth. Basically, though, as long as you don't look like a tool, you will be fine. You also don't need to wear a suit and a polo may be appropriate, but overdressed. I have seen a guy wear his turnouts to the test and you don't want to be that guy. Wearing a T-shirt is fine as well as long as it isn't offensive nor outlandish....leave the "Big Johnson" shirt at home.

Really, think about this a little bit, you are taking a written test which is split between a morning and afternoon time. You will have literally thousands taking the test. Nobody at the test site is really going to remember you, nor really your name (unless you already know someone). So really you don't have to go overboard when it comes to dressing up.

If one makes it through the written and goes on to the physical test, the test site is at the tech school. This is the same building where one can pursue a fire science associates degree, do the one semester fire academy, and is also the training academy for Madison Fire and where the recruit training is done.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information