Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

Default Hose Testing costs

does anyone have some prices on what companies charge to do hose testing? places like waterway and others. just looking for ball park figures

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterbeau View Post
    does anyone have some prices on what companies charge to do hose testing? places like waterway and others. just looking for ball park figures
    Do it yourself and save a few $$$$!

Yeah... annual hose testing sucks.. but break it down by company, then split the rack among the companies based on hose size.
    PS: Truckies can help, too!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post

PS: Truckies can help, too!
    What's Hose?
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    What's Hose?
    See? That's why knuckledraggers aren't allowed on Engine companies!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

What's Hose?
    It's NOT that thing you...umm...never mnid...forgot there are young 'uns here.....

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterbeau View Post
    We had a company from NJ do ours this year. They showed up at 0630 and once we found a paved road with enough length to set up on it took them less than 5 hours before they were on the way out of town. Thats two engines with full compliment of hose including 1400 feet ea. of 4"LDH brush truck . and 140 rolls of 2 1/2 & 1 3/4 from station racks.

They do everything including repack the hose beds and pre-connects, They give you a computerized inventory and testing report printed out and electronically.

Their charge was in the neighborhood of $1500.00

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    It's NOT that thing you...umm...never mnid...forgot there are young 'uns here.....

Oh it could be though!

When spring comes and the cold is gone, maybe the first of May, take the hose out to a street or parking lot that isn't busy and test it your self. No sense in paying someone to do what you guys can do.

We have 40 front line pieces plus reserve and other vehicles and spare hose that would be tested. Each fire company does their own.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

We did our hose ourselves, had a "training meeting" and took 2 trucks at a time out to our local school and got it down with department members. Boring job to do but saved us money. We got all of our engines (3) and our other stations (2) and even a mutual aid engine done in 3 different days of about 3 hours a day. As long as you keep doing it yourself your members learn what needs to be done and it just keeps getting smoother. I did not even know you could have a company come in a do it. Always learning on here.

Like others have said, it's easy to do it yourselves and save the $$ for more important stuff. Here, most companies rotate it among all the shifts, so we end up doing it once every 4 years. It takes a couple hours and then you're done, it's really no big deal.

Forum Member

Default Waterway

I used the local Waterway Franchise and they charged .21 Cents a foot. They also tested the ladders, repacked the hose, marked the sections and mailed me a cert record with results after the fact. I job out the maint. work, No wrench turning in house other then daily checks. Something goes bad, it goes to a bonded certified Mech. YMMV. This is what I have chosen to do.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post
    Like others have said, it's easy to do it yourselves and save the $$ for more important stuff. Here, most companies rotate it among all the shifts, so we end up doing it once every 4 years. It takes a couple hours and then you're done, it's really no big deal.
    Our department of labor requires all hose to be tested and certified every 12 months with records from the time of purchase till the hose is taken out of service.
    We found it was taking us 4 saturdays each year to get it all done, and the contractor did it all in one morning with 8 guys and a huge high pressure testing pump mounted on a trailer. All we had to do was supply out tanker to provide water.

Cost benefit for taking the crew away from family for 4 saturdays versus paying contractor = priceless !

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Our department of labor requires all hose to be tested and certified every 12 months with records from the time of purchase till the hose is taken out of service.
    We found it was taking us 4 saturdays each year to get it all done, and the contractor did it all in one morning with 8 guys and a huge high pressure testing pump mounted on a trailer. All we had to do was supply out tanker to provide water.

Cost benefit for taking the crew away from family for 4 saturdays versus paying contractor = priceless !
    I would have to agree. Between 3 engines and spare hose it takes my volunteer department a full month of training nights to test our full complement of hose. And we have to do it in the summer when the weather is good and we have plenty of daylight. I would gladly budget an extra 2K dollars for hose testing. Takes the aggravation away from use, removes all liability if someone were to get hurt and frees up time for something else.

My career department is a different story. The cost for testing hose for 16 front line apparatus plus 7 reserve would quickly add up. Plus, we can do it on shift any time of day. You don't have that luxury with volunteers.

If you can swing the cash, I say go for it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

What's Hose?
    You know...That thing you use to water the grass..wash the car.

Forum Member

If you have the manpower, equipment and trained to do it, obviously it is fine to do it yourself.

The problem nowadays is reduced manpower (both career and volunteer). Do you really want to dedicate "training" time to do hose testing? Although you can use regular centrifugal pumpers for testing, none of the pump manufacturers recommend it, and can void warranty if damage occurs. Decent amount of injuries also using fire appartus pumps. If you have a small pump designed for testing, it takes forever for a full compliment of hose to reach test psi. Finally, documentation must be properly completed. IMO, if you have the money, far easier to have it out-sourced. Not much different then vehicle inspections, SCBA, & ladder testing, etc.

It's actually in our department bylaws that members must attend one of two hose testing sessions each year. The gung-ho among us (and most of the leaders) attend both.

We usually break it down to the big stuff one time, the small stuff the other.

Years ago we had 2000' of 2.5", then 3", on a supply truck to provide a water supply in the hamlet (no hydrants, but a mill pond in the middle). Since it seems like everybody has 1000' of LDH on board these days, we got rid of that and now just have the 1000' of LDH we carry to worry about.

That 2000' feet was usually the core of one test session.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Paid .22 per foot through Waterway. FailSafe is another company that does it.

Used to do it ourselves, on a few nights. Now, company comes in and gets it all done/recorded/etc in a few hours.

As stated above, the benefit of using up guys available time and training time outweighs the cost for us.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I don't know of any departments in this area, Career or POC, who don't do it themselves. We're fourtunate to have the time and manpower to knock it out in about 2 weeks. We just do a few hours day. One truck at a time. We keep about an 80% backup. We put some hose on the ground. Plus, it keeps everyone complaining about one thing for a little while. No one enjoys it but it has to be done. Knock on wood, we haven't had any injuries despite some people acting immature. I'm getting better.

Forum Member

I used to resist the idea of outsourcing testing, believing that in addition to saving money, it had good training value as well. However, after several years of it being shunted aside for other training needs, the decision was made to go to Waterways. They came in, stripped the hose beds (one engine at a time, of course), tested all of the hose and ladders, repacked the hose (parade pack, no less) and were gone by 1400. Last year was the second year for doing it, and I have become a believer.

Last year we also, for the first time, had our pumps tested by Supplee Bros. We had done that in-house, too, and that had also gotten by us.

There is definitely value in having a disinterested party doing your required testing.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    I used to resist the idea of outsourcing testing, believing that in addition to saving money, it had good training value as well. However, after several years of it being shunted aside for other training needs, the decision was made to go to Waterways. They came in, stripped the hose beds (one engine at a time, of course), tested all of the hose and ladders, repacked the hose (parade pack, no less) and were gone by 1400. Last year was the second year for doing it, and I have become a believer.

Last year we also, for the first time, had our pumps tested by Supplee Bros. We had done that in-house, too, and that had also gotten by us.

There is definitely value in having a disinterested party doing your required testing.
    Thats the problem we were encountering. More and more mandatory training requirements were taking up every training night and things like hose testing were getting pushed off until somewhere in the future. We found that the cost was very reasonable and YES they did repack all the hose neater than we usually get it. But then thats what they do everyday, They will even pack crosslays and pre-connects in whatever type of load you prefer. When they reloaded the LDH it was with the old folds moved half a length off so it didn't stress the crease.

A question for all of those doing it in house: Are you using a hose tester , or using the engines firefighting pump?
    We were told that using the engine's pump was not a safe practice that could cause damage to the pump due to the high pressure required to test hose.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..........

We do our own in House. And, we test at 300 PSI. If there is a problem with your pump at 300 PSI, have your next pump built by a different manufacturer. One thing that I'd recommend to the "Do it Yourself" folks - Have a piece of metal cut to the exact size of the inside of the Female coupling, and drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center. use this inside the first coupling off the discharge to limit the amount of water that will flow if there is a burst section of hose........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information