Forum Member

Default NFPA Standards for Rescue Trucks

Are their any NFPA standards for Rescue trucks?

We are currently specing a light rescue (550 4x4 chasis with 10' box, no water) - wondering if their are NFPA specs for this type of truck?

If anyone has built one recently, would be interested in looking at your specs.

Thanks in advance!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post

Thanks in advance!
    NFPA 1901-2009 Standard for Automotive fire Apparatus.

Available at www.nfpa.org

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    NFPA 1901-2009 Standard for Automotive fire Apparatus.

Available at www.nfpa.org
    Check out http://www.metalfabfiretrucks.com/. They built a heavy rescue for Digby, Nova Scotia Canada on a Spartan chassis. It is the first SSV that was built and tested to ULC standards.

Forum Member

I haven't looked at 1901 in about a year, but aside from the usual, (emergency lighting,chevrons,ext) I don't recall seeing anything in regards to what minimum tools you are required to carry.....but i could be wrong. Here in PA, the PA Dept. of Health in conjunction with the State fire commissioners office in c has what s called the "Voluntary Rescue Recognition Program" its a program that EMS & FD's can voluntarily decided to meet its requirements and get a new shiny sticker for their rig. Here is a link to a PDF of the program outline, including a list of required Rescue and EMS equipment. There are 3 levels of classification, Basic, Operational & Advanced, with the equipment and personnel training requirement being different for each.

Hope it helps
    http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/he...ual_public.pdf
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    I haven't looked at 1901 in about a year, but aside from the usual, (emergency lighting,chevrons,ext) I don't recall seeing anything in regards to what minimum tools you are required to carry.....but i could be wrong. Here in PA, the PA Dept. of Health in conjunction with the State fire commissioners office in c has what s called the "Voluntary Rescue Recognition Program" its a program that EMS & FD's can voluntarily decided to meet its requirements and get a new shiny sticker for their rig. Here is a link to a PDF of the program outline, including a list of required Rescue and EMS equipment. There are 3 levels of classification, Basic, Operational & Advanced, with the equipment and personnel training requirement being different for each.

Hope it helps
    That's the type of info I was loking for. I didn't know if NFPA had any other specs like 1902 for initial attack and 1906 for wildland that was specific to recsues.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    I haven't looked at 1901 in about a year, but aside from the usual, (emergency lighting,chevrons,ext) I don't recall seeing anything in regards to what minimum tools you are required to carry.
    RTT,
    On page 29 in Chap. 10, Special Service Vehicles: they list the basic safety equipment that should be on every rig. On page 108, Appendix item A10.5.2 is the substance of what you're looking for. This section has an extensive list of 90 types of equipment that should be considered for including on the rig.
    Last edited by donethat; 01-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post

We are currently specing a light rescue (550 4x4 chasis with 10' box, no water) - wondering if their are NFPA specs for this type of truck?

If anyone has built one recently, would be interested in looking at your specs.

Thanks in advance!
    We run a heavy rescue squad on a Spartan chassis so it's probably just a wee bit bigger than what you are talking about but if you would be interested in seeing what we carry, I'd be glad to email you our inventory list. We have had a Rescue Squad for many years but it was primarily thought of as an extrication piece, carrying our hydraulic tools and assorted other equipment such as limited rope rescue, confined space, water/ice rescue equipment.

Over the years it has slowly evolved as the department got more into technical rescue and our equipment cache greatly expanded with technical gear but we found that it was lacking with some basic equipment that could be used at a variety of incidents and that much of the equipment was randomly placed in the compartments.

So we recently just completed a review of our Rescue Squad Operations and Equipment and have rearranged and mounted equipment, and acquired new equipment. Feel free to let me know if I can be of any help:

backsteprescue@yahoo.com
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Mitch - The idea when they started it (as it was explained to me by one of the committe members that designed the program) was that the list you saw was designed to provide rescue capabilities for most types of rescue. They were to follow up with other catigories of rescues and equipment compliments for each, such as vehicle rescue, industrial, trench/collaps, high angle/swift water and so on. The Driving force behind it was that if a Fire Department puts a combination tool on their engine, they call it a rescue but that doesn't make it a "rescue" It's been quite a few years since they came out with it, Nd thts all they've done.... but thats PADOH for ya.

Now, I don't remember if it specificaly says but you do not need to have it all on one rig. For exsample, You can split it up between a Medic unit, a Truck and an Engine, but all 3 rigs have to roll on every rescue call.

Donethat - Thanks for the info... I stand corrected.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Thread Information