Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Smaller departments

Just wondering how hard it is to get hired on with a smaller department in Florida. Seems like everyone wants to get hired with Jax, tampa, Orlando, Miami. What about all the little departments around the state? I just started emt classes so it's going to be a while before I'm done with emt & FF1&2. I would rather get hired with some small department and work there for a few years rather than waiting for god knows how long to get hired by a larger department. I guess my point is why does everyone go to the big department? .
    Last edited by CodyK; 01-12-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CodyK View Post
    Just wondering how hard it is to get hired on with a smaller department in Florida. Seems like everyone wants to get hired with Jax, tampa, Orlando, Miami. What about all the little departments around the state? I just started emt classes so it's going to be a while before I'm done with emt & FF1&2. I would rather get hired with some small department and work there for a few years rather than waiting for god knows how long to get hired by a larger department. I guess my point is why does everyone go to the big department? .
    Everyone is applying for any job they can get and smaller departments are getting flooded for applicants for limited jobs. Ex. I tested with a city where they had 300 qualified applicants apply for 1 spot on a 3 station department.

If you want to to have a realistic chance at getting hired, open up to the odds of applying out of state.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVTxDUDE View Post
    Everyone is applying for any job they can get and smaller departments are getting flooded for applicants for limited jobs. Ex. I tested with a city where they had 300 qualified applicants apply for 1 spot on a 3 station department.

If you want to to have a realistic chance at getting hired, open up to the odds of applying out of state.
    That's crazy. I guess it's just playing the waiting game for any department big or small statewide.

Forum Member

That's crazy. I guess it's just playing the waiting game for any department big or small statewide.
    The larger dept's are the only one's hiring right now really...and still not often. Take the advice given above apply/test out of state. You can play the waiting game all you want, but the "reality" of it is thousands of qualified applicants out there. Schools continue to pump out more and more candidates every year also.

Forum Member

What's the process for applying out of state for say Georgia or Alabama? Wouldn't you have to go through that's states training as well?

Forum Member

What's the process for applying out of state for say Georgia or Alabama? Wouldn't you have to go through that's states training as well?
    Florida certifies you by NREMT for EMT and Proboard for FFI&II. Where ever you get hired you'll have to go through some form of training/orientation.

http://www.theproboard.org/

https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/nremt_news.asp

Forum Member

Ok well that's cool. I live in Jacksonville so I've got no issue working in Georgia and just driving everyday or possibly moving to another state.

Forum Member

On another note I'm sure this has been brought up before. But is working as an emt looked at as a good thing while you are looking for a job or a bad thing because they want to train from scratch?

Forum Member

It is a good idea to get any experience possible, whether it is working for a BLS transport company or for a hospital.

I applied to over a dozen departments before getting hired by a smaller dept (54 front line personnel). I loved it there, but ended up getting a job with a larger department (300 personnel) because of benefits and other intangible factors. Just get through school then worry about applying places. There have been a lot more job openings over the past 6 months than there were the 12+ months prior to that. Hopefully when you're done with school things will be a lot better.

P.S. applying out of state is no big deal...except that you'll have to get a valid state driver's license from that state

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyrfytr4 View Post
    It is a good idea to get any experience possible, whether it is working for a BLS transport company or for a hospital.

I applied to over a dozen departments before getting hired by a smaller dept (54 front line personnel). I loved it there, but ended up getting a job with a larger department (300 personnel) because of benefits and other intangible factors. Just get through school then worry about applying places. There have been a lot more job openings over the past 6 months than there were the 12+ months prior to that. Hopefully when you're done with school things will be a lot better.

P.S. applying out of state is no big deal...except that you'll have to get a valid state driver's license from that state
    Thanks man I appreciate the positive words. Everyone I tell I'm going to be a firefighter says "nobody is hiring".

There is always somebody hiring. It only depends on how bad you want to be a firefighter. Some people refuse to leave the town they grew up in, this would affect their chances. If you are willing to relocate you will find a job opening.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF4606 View Post
    There is always somebody hiring. It only depends on how bad you want to be a firefighter. Some people refuse to leave the town they grew up in, this would affect their chances. If you are willing to relocate you will find a job opening.
    I'll work anywhere honestly. I'd like to be within about an hour of my house. But If I can't do that then I'd move. I can't wait.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

There's always people hiring SOMEWHERE. We'll be starting a recruit school of about 16 people in a few months, both of our neighboring departments will have recruit schools starting in a couple of weeks (one with 30 people in it), and other departments throughout Virginia continue to hire.

How quickly you get hired is sometimes based on one's willingness to move away from home. Some people are willing to do that, other's aren't. Neither is right or wrong, it's just a choice.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    There's always people hiring SOMEWHERE. We'll be starting a recruit school of about 16 people in a few months, both of our neighboring departments will have recruit schools starting in a couple of weeks (one with 30 people in it), and other departments throughout Virginia continue to hire.

How quickly you get hired is sometimes based on one's willingness to move away from home. Some people are willing to do that, other's aren't. Neither is right or wrong, it's just a choice.
    Someone else mentioned in the thread moving out of state. I'm not opposed to doing that either just depends on what all is required to get certified in that state. I'm in North Florida so Georgia is only a 45 minute drive or so. So I wouldn't mind working there. I'm pretty much open to an hour and a half drive if it was farther than that I'd probably relocate there.

Thread Information