Thread: input please

Forum Member

Default input please

exploring options on new comm. chassis pumper.
    so far looks like freightliner m2-106,, kenworth t-370,, international 4400, and even one spec on a peterbuilt. pro's/cons. anyone with newer KW , cab size keeps coming up. headroom, knee room?? help

Forum Member

My department has a 2003 KW. I looked at a 2011 two weeks ago and it didnt seem much different. I am 6'5", 375 and have no trouble getting in and out of the cab... Two problems that may or may not interest you, #1 is foot room- our manufacturer placed the airhorn switch as far over in the corner of the floorboard as possible, but yet we have had several incidences of accidental blasts of the horn by FF's who werent paying attention to their feet gettin in the cab. #2 KW cabs are extremely airtight. Our cab is a standard, 3 man cab, so there isnt a large amount of square footage inside.. We have to crack a window to get the doors to close when you get in...

Forum Member

While I can't comment on the trucks themselves, make sure you consider where you'll have to go for service. I'm sure you've already thought about it, but it's worth repeating. If you have commercial chassis pumpers/tankers/rescues now, take a hard look at them to see what you like and dislike out of each one. Litterally, make a list. Can the things that you dislike be manipulated by the builder, or is it inherant in the cab/chassis? Also, take some test drives... bring your turnout gear (clean of course) and a few other guys if you can. There is every make and model of firetruck and chassis combination roaming around this country... some are happy, others aren't. You guys need to make sure you'll fit acceptably in this one.

My $0.02
    TruckCommittee.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I have driven many of both the FL M2-106 and the IH 4400/7400 trucks. They both seem to ride fine, I think the difference is the IH is a little nicer but it costs more money. I wouldn' hesitate to use either. My FD has two older FL80's that are fine and we just bought a IH 7400 chassis. If you have three SCBA seats in the rear of any of the them, space is always an issue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1118 View Post
    While I can't comment on the trucks themselves, make sure you consider where you'll have to go for service. I'm sure you've already thought about it, but it's worth repeating. If you have commercial chassis pumpers/tankers/rescues now, take a hard look at them to see what you like and dislike out of each one. Litterally, make a list. Can the things that you dislike be manipulated by the builder, or is it inherant in the cab/chassis? Also, take some test drives... bring your turnout gear (clean of course) and a few other guys if you can. There is every make and model of firetruck and chassis combination roaming around this country... some are happy, others aren't. You guys need to make sure you'll fit acceptably in this one.

My $0.02

You have them service by the dealer which you bought them from.

We have 9 FL106 Freightliners with four door raise roof and have not problem. It has a detroit four cylinder engine and it does very well.

Plus several IH cab and chassis, they are great as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Talking

I sat in a new KW t-370 last week that a neighboring dept just took delivery on.
    Very nice truck , well constructed, but a little tight on leg room in the foot well and not a lot of headroom in the drivers seat with it raised up high enough for my long legs to sit comfortably. Handles well with good turning radius with a 2000 gal tanker body on the back.

The Navistars cabs are roomier and are well built with good handling and ride. We're looking into a new 2000 gal. tanker which will probably end up on an IH 7400 single axel.

Not a big fan of the freightliner business class trucks, but haven't spent a lot of time in one.

Forum Member

From personal experiance with my full time job, I can comment on both the Freightliner M2-106 and the International 4400 series.

The Freightshaker I drive is a 2004 M2-106 with the 250HP Cat and a Spicer 6 speed manual transmission. The truck itself has 180,000 miles on it, and is in very rough shape (Not from poor maintenance and from being beaten) The interior is falling apart, and isn't very well built IMO. It handles like crap, despite being a fleet maintained vehicle, no matter how many times I send it in for pulling to the left when breaking. The same problem comes back again and again. The breaks on the truck have been an issue since it was purchased, they seem to grab and grind especially when the roads are slippery. All together I'm not a fan of this particular truck, and we've had numerous problems with all our Freightliner trucks. Recently our parent company bought a new M2-106 with the ISC 330 and an allison transmission, its in the shop more than its on the road. There are a few good things about this truck, it does turn tighter than any rig I've driven. The small Cat has got some pep too, and it does fly on the highway.

As for my 07' international, I cannot say enough about this rig. Its been run a lot and run hard, before I got it it ran back and fourth close to 100 miles every day. It has 111,000 miles, the DT570 330HP engine, Allison 6 speed automatic transmission, 3 stage Jacobs Engine break. Rear PDL and full Diff lock 4x6 model), air ride rear suspension with dump switch. The truck itself rides very nice, and I can turn the wheel with my pinkey finger. It has a very tight turning radius, even for a tandem axle rig. My only complaint about this truck is that I'm always replacing headlight bulbs it seems, dunny why...but I always am.

If you have any questions about either truck, don't hesitate to ask, I'll do my best to answer.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

X2. Not a fan of business class "shakers(Freightliners)for fire service work. We're run internationals for a LONG time and enjoyed GOOD service with minimal issues, Currently have three 2674's in the fleet and we have had next to nothing for problems. T.C.

Forum Member

we are onyl looking at 2 door trucks. appreciate all input. going to neighboring county next week to look at a t-370 and an international. main concern is head/leg room in driver seat.

Thread Information