Back In Black

Default NJ Lawmaker proposes mandatory license plates for bicycles.

TRENTON ó If an Essex County lawmaker has her way, every single bicycle in the state of New Jersey will soon have to have a license plate.

The $3,000 mountain bike, the little girlís bicycle with pom pom streamers and training wheels, the boardwalk cruiser with the cute pink basket ó all of them would have to bear the plate, marked "BICYCLE" in clear lettering.

Riders or their parents would plunk down up to $10 a year to register them with the Division of Motor Vehicles. And anyone caught riding an unregistered bicycle on public property could face a fine of up to $100 for each offense.

That, anyway, is the basic outline of a bill (A3657) introduced by Assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker (D-Essex) who said she proposed it after several senior citizens in Belleville and Bloomfield called her to complain about kids on bikes.

"They had been knocked down, knocked over and they had no way to register a complaint. They couldnít identify the person," said Tucker.

It there were clearly visible license plates on the bicycles, Tucker said the seniors would have "some kind of recourse in reporting the incidents."

The bill applies to all bicycles ridden on public roads or land. For bicyclists under 15, their parent or guardian could register it for them.

Bicycle enthusiasts hope to deflate the bill.

"Thatís an outrage, for sure," said Paige Hiemier, vice-president of the New Jersey Bike & Walk Coalition. "Basically, itís outrageous for a number of reasons, and most of them are: Who is the legislation aimed at? Whoís going to administer it? How are they going to pay for it? Whoís going to stop the bicyclists and check their registration?"

Environmental advocates also criticized the bill. Sierra Club New Jersey Director Jeff Tittel said the government should encourage people to ride bicycles, but the measure would have the opposite effect.

"We want to get people out of their cars and exercising. Itís much better for the environment and public health," he said.

Gerry Magrini, owner of Montclair Bikery, said the bill would hurt sales and would not be enforceable, and he suspected it would cost more to enforce it than $10 per bike.

"People donít want to pay extra for something like that," he said. "I believe itís unenforceable. Itís cumbersome... I donít see any benefit to it at all, even from a revenue standpoint," he said.

To register their bikes, applicants would have to provide its year, make, model, color, weight and serial numbers, along with their addresses, the date they purchased them, and the amount of state sales tax they paid when they bought them.

No other lawmakers have signed onto the bill so far, and no version has been introduced in the state Senate. Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver (D-Essex), who controls the fate of bills in the lower house, indicated it isnít high on her list.

"The Assemblyís priority right now continues to be legislation to spark job creation and economic development, especially for working class New Jerseyans," she said.

League of American Bicyclists spokeswoman Meghan Cahill said she is not aware of any other states with mandatory bicycle registration, though some counties and municipalities may have it. She said New Jersey would be the first to require bicyclists to have license plates if the bill becomes law.

Tucker, for her part, may already be back-pedaling on parts of her bill.

"By no means do I want to stop anybody from riding bikes or anything of that nature. It was sort of something to try to do something to protect our seniors," she said. "Itís just a draft at this point and it hasnít gone to committee or anything."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...oses_mand.html
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Just when you think politicians have run out of batsh|t stupid ideas for new legislation...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Great!!.............

Go for it!!...... No, I'm not being sarcastic. I honestly feel that there should be some form of licensing for Bicycles. No, I don't think the kid with Training wheels is a problem, but people who are old enough to know better are constantly pushing their luck with their arrogant attitudes here in my area. On any Saturday or Sunday, People from all over the Metro area, including people from out of State, congregate in a large Commuter Parking lot near my home to unload their Bikes and ride the Country roads in this Community. These fools wander all over the road and simply could care less about motor vehicle traffic. The only other time I've seen this attitude is with Sailboaters. On numerous occasions, these idiots have interfered with Emergency operations by refusing to obey a lawful order of a Fire or EMS person to Stop and not proceed thru an Emergency scene such as an Auto Accident. Anything to get these morons off of our Roads around here will have my full support.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by notfruitybutloopy View Post
    This is possible one of the smartest scams to falsly satisfy the public I've seen in a while... but then again it must be a Jersey thing.
    I mean I really feel sorry for the small group of people that that happens to, I really do, but registering bikes out to be able to identify them is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard of.
    It's just another revenue generating angle. satisfying the public or IDing bikes isn't the purpose.

NY tried a similar plate scheme last year in trying to get us all to purchase their "new yellow plate" when it would come time to renew your auto reg. it didn't last long.

the tough economy can make the states with higher spending go searching for some pretty interesting ways to squeeze you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Go for it!!...... No, I'm not being sarcastic. I honestly feel that there should be some form of licensing for Bicycles. No, I don't think the kid with Training wheels is a problem, but people who are old enough to know better are constantly pushing their luck with their arrogant attitudes here in my area. On any Saturday or Sunday, People from all over the Metro area, including people from out of State, congregate in a large Commuter Parking lot near my home to unload their Bikes and ride the Country roads in this Community. These fools wander all over the road and simply could care less about motor vehicle traffic. The only other time I've seen this attitude is with Sailboaters. On numerous occasions, these idiots have interfered with Emergency operations by refusing to obey a lawful order of a Fire or EMS person to Stop and not proceed thru an Emergency scene such as an Auto Accident. Anything to get these morons off of our Roads around here will have my full support.......
    on second thought, I agree with Harve! lol

that bicycle culture can sure be one interesting breed of....

Forum Member

When I was growing up in Memphis back in the ......... well let's say quite a few years ago, the city had a onetime bicycle license.

I think it was .50 cents for the tag and you took the bike to a local police precinct and they installed the plate about 4'" X 2" under the seat where the rear folks came up to the main post.

They probably got away from that now or if it's still in operation it is a decal.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Truckie

I'm mixed about this. For one, I would like to see all those urban mountain bikers start to pay a share of the cost of trails.
    Here in Minnesota, many railroad beds where abandoned and the local snowmobile clubs soon used their own money and labor to remake them into snowmobile trails. Well it didn't take long for the biking elitist to waste tax dollars and have them tarred. Now why you need a tarred bike trail for your $3000 mountain bike is beyond me, but that's what happened. Not long after, there was a push to ban motorized vehicles on those very same trails. So yes, to sum it up, they should pay something.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Back In Black

Can't wait for them to start busting those nasty five year olds.

Its just a tax, pure and simple.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    The $3,000 mountain bike, the little girlís bicycle with pom pom streamers and training wheels, the boardwalk cruiser with the cute pink basket ó all of them would have to bear the plate, marked "BICYCLE" in clear lettering.
    "They had been knocked down, knocked over and they had no way to register a complaint. They couldnít identify the person," said Tucker.

It there were clearly visible license plates on the bicycles, Tucker said the seniors would have "some kind of recourse in reporting the incidents."
    Ok, riddle me this. How does a plate saying "BICYCLE" help an elderly person identify the person? "Was that a bicycle, or a garbage truck?" If they don't realize it's a bicycle then they probably shouldn't be allowed outside unsupervised.

Second.. to fit on a bike this plate would be small, the letters would be small.. and anyone over age 55 probably can't read them ANYWAY?

This bill does NOTHING to "Help Seniors" and simply a money grab.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Having been on some fairly large organized rides here in NJ I've seen both sides of the culture. Certainly the behavior you mention does occur, unfortunately... but it's not everyone.

Also note that if the Cops aren't doing anything about it now, they won't later when they have plates.. Bikes have to follow the traffic laws, plate or no plate.
    -3dd

Truckie

A plate isn't going to make the elitist biking crowd suddenly believe that they now must follow the rules of the road, that I agree. But a fee, tax, or what ever you call it, I'm ok with it.
    How else do you pay for the paved trails, the painted bike lanes, the bike specific signage? Oh I know, take the money from some other worthy program or short change the street department budget. Who needs to fill pot holes or replace semaphore lights anyway?
    voyager9, on these rides, are the bikers maintaining single file? Here its required.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Ok, riddle me this. How does a plate saying "BICYCLE" help an elderly person identify the person? "Was that a bicycle, or a garbage truck?" If they don't realize it's a bicycle then they probably shouldn't be allowed outside unsupervised.

Second.. to fit on a bike this plate would be small, the letters would be small.. and anyone over age 55 probably can't read them ANYWAY?

What the old age jokes!! LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

Here ya go Cap..I know y our eyesight isn't what it used to be.
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    A plate isn't going to make the elitist biking crowd suddenly believe that they now must follow the rules of the road, that I agree. But a fee, tax, or what ever you call it, I'm ok with it.
    How else do you pay for the paved trails, the painted bike lanes, the bike specific signage? Oh I know, take the money from some other worthy program or short change the street department budget. Who needs to fill pot holes or replace semaphore lights anyway?
    voyager9, on these rides, are the bikers maintaining single file? Here its required.
    Here single file pace-lines are the norm. The problem on the bigger rides is you might get pace-lines passing each other, or passing slower individual riders. From what I've seen the problem isn't with the riders that are good enough for pace-lines. They know better. It's the crew that only use their bike twice a year that ride three-abreast so they can all talk that cause the problem. The MS150 and ACS ride here can get 3000-5000 riders of all ages/abilities.

As for fees..etc. I know there are bike groups (volunteer or not) that contribute to maintaining the trails they use.. Some have the members pay a fee which gets kicked back to the park or whatever to help with maintenance. Others have the members contribute time and perform the maintenance directly. I don't know the specifics but this seems like it would work better than fees (at least fees tacked on to owning a bike.. certainly a per-use fee would also work)
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

If they pass a dumb law like this, I don't the Police will take time to enforce it unless the rider was a arse hole. Trust me we have better ways to spend our time while at work than enforce stupid crap like this.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

ďGuys if you get hurt, weíll help you. If you get sick weíll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!Ē
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well...........

Ok, riddle me this. How does a plate saying "BICYCLE" help an elderly person
    It's Called "Truth in Labeling"...............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Just wait when the kids want to start collecting and trading their license plates. Then they would never be matched up with the right bike. Then the cops would have to arrest all the poor kiddies for displaying false tags.

Forum Member

Here ya go Cap..I know y our eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Yeah you are right. Got a couple of cataracts to be removed soon! Thanks for the larger print, easy to see..

Forum Member

Its just a tax, pure and simple.
    Bingo!

What's next? A permit to walk on public sidewalks?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

The Taxman by George Harrison

One, two, three, four...
    Hrmm!
    One, two, (one, two, three, four!)

Let me tell you how it will be;
    There's one for you, nineteen for me.
    'Cause Iím the taxman,
    Yeah, Iím the taxman.

Should five per cent appear too small,
    Be thankful I don't take it all.
    'Cause Iím the taxman,
    Yeah, Iím the taxman.

(if you drive a car, car - Iíll tax the street;
    (if you try to sit, sit - Iíll tax your seat;
    (if you get too cold, cold - Iíll tax the heat;
    (if you take a walk, walk - I'll tax your feet.

Taxman!

'Cause Iím the taxman,
    Yeah, Iím the taxman.

Don't ask me what I want it for, (ah-ah, mister Wilson)
    If you don't want to pay some more. (ah-ah, mister heath)
    'Cause Iím the taxman,
    Yeah, Iím the taxman.

Now my advice for those who die, (taxman)
    Declare the pennies on your eyes. (taxman)
    'Cause Iím the taxman,
    Yeah, Iím the taxman.

And you're working for no one but me.

Taxman!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

I seem to have vague memories of that as well.(I also remember the Skyride at Lakeland failing and stranding folks during a storm and that was when I was 3)The last time I remember a tag on any bikes was in the 70s though.I don't know if it was stopped by the late Mayor Chandler or if it just faded away from lack of interest.
    Anyway,nobody's ever flagged down because I haven't got a tag on my bike.
    I was also famous around Paducah Ky because I'd ride anywhere anytime and even responded to the station for calls on mine.More often than not,I'd beat most of the responders to the station and would have the doors open and rig started up and warming by the time the officers arrived.They'd all be jacked up on adrenaline and I'd be in back napping because I'd burned mine off jst getting to the station.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    When I was growing up in Memphis back in the ......... well let's say quite a few years ago, the city had a onetime bicycle license.

I think it was .50 cents for the tag and you took the bike to a local police precinct and they installed the plate about 4'" X 2" under the seat where the rear folks came up to the main post.

They probably got away from that now or if it's still in operation it is a decal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Bingo!

What's next? A permit to walk on public sidewalks?
    SHUT THE F*** UP! Don't give them the idea,man.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I seem to have vague memories of that as well.(I also remember the Skyride at Lakeland failing and stranding folks during a storm and that was when I was 3)The last time I remember a tag on any bikes was in the 70s though.I don't know if it was stopped by the late Mayor Chandler or if it just faded away from lack of interest.
    Anyway,nobody's ever flagged down because I haven't got a tag on my bike.
    I was also famous around Paducah Ky because I'd ride anywhere anytime and even responded to the station for calls on mine.More often than not,I'd beat most of the responders to the station and would have the doors open and rig started up and warming by the time the officers arrived.They'd all be jacked up on adrenaline and I'd be in back napping because I'd burned mine off jst getting to the station.

Lakeland was a field when I live down there. The fairgounds was the place, with the Pippin!!

Forum Member

WEll, for those that are condemning this, just remember, bicycle enthusiasts sure do insist on being treated as though they're on a vehicle that deserves equal share of the road, that is, until they have to pay to use it. If they want to be treated like a legal vehicle, then they should be registered as a vehicle. In the state of Georgia a bicycle is considered a vehicle, though not required to be registered. But hand signals are still expected to be used on the road. All I ever here out of bicyclists is how they want to be treated equally on the road, well, fine by me. Register your bike and ominus dominus, you're a legit vehicle. That's just my $0.02 worth.

Back In Black

I hear all of you that hate the snobby adult bike folks... I guess.

But remember, this was all bicycles, even my daughter's Dora the Explorer Bicycle.

Stupid.

FYI, this crazy politician has since retracted this legislation.

Thread Information