MembersZone Subscriber

Default Where do you go?

Where do you go for reviews, comparisons or others input when you are thinking about purchasing a piece of firefighting or EMS equipment be it for the department or yourself?
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

DUDE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you are alive !!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Uhhhh. Firehouse.com forum?

Forum Member

I'm a hands on kinda guy, when we're looking to buy a new piece of equipment we get with the closest Dept that has a similar piece of equipment and we go check it out. Everything may look good on paper, but until you get your hands on it you'll never truly know.

We kept this in mind when purchasing our new (To us) Ladder truck, we went down to inspect the truck numerous times and sent different personnel down to drive and operate the truck. We asked other Departments that had similar aerials how they liked them. Got as much information as we could, even sent our mechanics down to inspect the truck and had the Ladder inspected before purchase. The more hands on information you can gather the better.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Funny you mention that. I'm working on building a site for that very thing... I used to sell apparatus, I've been on a truck committee, and figured there's got to be a better way.
    TruckCommittee.com

Forum Member

for personal or station equipment, I talk to those who use what ever it is Im looking at. I also will set up a demonstration or see if there is one we can train with. For exsample, on our new truck after talking to tons of people in person and on here, we couldn't decide between the Ventmaster and Stihl saws. We put em head to head on our roof simulator having both experienced and inexperienced guys use them, then hashed it out based on what we witnessed. (we chose stihl)
    As for apparatus.... this place is a gold mine for good information/input. From research & development to specking, You all were a great help with our new truck & if i could I'd buy you all a beer. The other thing i think helped a lot was getting out and visiting other departments who had what we were looking at and getting their input.

Reading and talking only get you so far, you got to get out and get some hands on time with what ever it is your purchasing.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Let's talk fire trucks!

1. Talk to people. Pick up the phone to departments that have similar equipment and ask them if they'd purchase it again, what they'd change, etc.

2. Visit! Make arrangements to look at equipment, vehicles, etc.

3. Go to trade shows. Allow a lot of time to ask a lot of questions to many different vendors. Look beyond the chrome and well-laid-out booth, look at the small stuff. Ask the vendor why you should buy HIS product.

4. Ask the vendor to do a demo at your station. Any salesman worth a damn will be there. If he's too difficult to make arrangements with for a demo, how's he going to be after the sale?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information