Forum Member

Default PA EMT working in Ohio

I recently got my EMT certification (Dec 2010) in Pennsylvania and based on what I was hearing while going through the class that as soon as I was certified I'd be able to step right into a job since all the ambulance companies around here where screaming for EMT's. Well that's not so much the case now and I wanted to look into putting in applications in Ohio which is a reasonable drive for me. I have been told a number of different things about how this works. I've been told that all I need to do is take a written test from Ohio to I will need my national certification to work in Ohio.

I have contacted Ohio DOH about it and was told they would get back to me. Figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had been through this or knew what was required to work in Ohio when I'm certified in PA...

Thans for any help

Forum Member

Google Ohio dept of public safety and look on their site. If you have your national registry (which you do I'd guess) then you can apply for reciprocity. You'll probably have to pay like $100 bucks but its just an application no test. Someone can correct me if I'm off base but I believe that's it

Forum Member

pretty sure you're correct, matt. Ohio is pretty liberal about letting its EMS providers do their skills.. I'm not sure how PA operates. As long as there isn't anything that PA medic's can't do or give that Ohio medic's can he should just pay the fee and get his cert.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. My certification is only from PA that was why I wanted to find out if I had to retest or anything. I had planned on getting my national certification at some point but I wondered if I needed it to be be able to cross the state line and work in OH too... I will have to check with Ohio to get a better idea of what they need.

Forum Member

Rather than just getting an Ohio EMT card if I were you I would get nationally registered, than use reciprocity to obtain an ohio card. National registry is accepted in a lot of states therefore you'd have it if you ever wanted to work outside of OH and PA. Just a thought.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    Rather than just getting an Ohio EMT card if I were you I would get nationally registered, than use reciprocity to obtain an ohio card. National registry is accepted in a lot of states therefore you'd have it if you ever wanted to work outside of OH and PA. Just a thought.
    I will most likely do that, my problem is I am out of work and unemployment runs out real soon. I took the EMT course... 1) because it was something I always wanted to do, 2) was paid for my my department and 3) was under the impression that I would not have a problem getting a job...

Now everyone wants Medics around here and I'm needing something fast so if I can just take a quick test or pay a fee and get my certification in Ohio I might be able to get a job and worry about the national when I have time.

Thanks for all the help on the subject...

Forum Member

Heads up on Ohio real quick. Especially if it's Northeast Ohio. Be weary of how involved you get because Northeast Ohio is completely saturated with EMT's. Very difficult to even get a part-time job in the area. Definitely try the private companies however.

Forum Member

BrianP37, read his original post he's looking for an ambulance company. Most if not all in northeast ohio will hire him on the spot.

Thread Information