Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pft

Forum Member

Default Pft

Does anyone have any experience with starting peer fitness trainers in their firehouse and if it had a positive outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by ctfireguy View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with starting peer fitness trainers in their firehouse and if it had a positive outcome?
    The department and local split the cost of sending one of ur guys through pft training. He's been a good fitness resource for the guys in the local and has been able to make some inroads into the Chief's views on fitness but we still haven't managed to agree on a department fitness program.

I'd say that our experience has been positive but could be better with more support from above.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

My depart has the opposite problem. Both the chief and the guys believe in the wellness programs. The unfit guys just aren't motivated enough to utilize the resources and do something about it. Which is why I am hesitant to go through the class. Just wondering if you have seen a PFT change the attitudes of the unmotivated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool PFT program

I can tell you from experience that you can make a difference. It can be difficult and it will take time and be frustrating at times.

I got on board our PFT program from the begining, we went from nothing to 13 PFT's and very active with annual fitness testing, doing PT with recruits, going to stations for fitness instruction, 1:1 training to 28 PFT's- one per station. At our peak we had spinning classes in 2 locations in the city and 6 FF's spinning certified. We had gotten 2 federal grants to get fitness equipment for all stations and 30 spinning bikes. Then we lost funding and we were pretty much dead in the water.

We had resistance from guys either not thinking they needed instruction or unfit guys not believing in H&W. I had a training capt tell me:" I have never worked out, don't believe in working out so I don't care what you do with the recruits". We then developed an injury prevention training block, then H&W training blocks on nutrition, cardiac and diabetes. We started to get guys calling up our coordinator. We have been able to slowly gain respect and help guys with programs and guidance with fitness routines.

During that time I was tapped to become one of the national PFT instructors and have met alot of FF's who are starting their program. Some have nothing and a small dept., some are from large dept's, but the important thing is the desire to make a change. Many are unsure and don't know where to start. Networking is a good way to get started. This is a great resource: http://www.iaff.org/hs/wfiresource/default.html

feel free to contact me and I can see what I can help with.

Orlando Gomez
    Portland Fire and Rescue
    orlyg1521@gmail.com

Forum Member

How much of a time commitment would I be looking at to start a new program from scratch? Also, do you measuere the FF's BMI etc. or do you have a doc do it for the annual physicals?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default depends

Quote Originally Posted by ctfireguy View Post
    How much of a time commitment would I be looking at to start a new program from scratch? Also, do you measuere the FF's BMI etc. or do you have a doc do it for the annual physicals?
    How long really is hard to answer. It depends on the amount of support, your budget, what your goals are, how many FF you will be serving. How many will be working on this? What kind of programs? Then you have the logistics: will you be going to stations? Will they be coming to you?

We don't use BMI except for the VO2 max equations, we use the chart for Ht/wt.
    There are alot of variables to consider. Feel free to shoot me an email

Forum Member

It's a very difficult undertaking. I'd say the biggest obsticals are convincing the chain of command it's usefulness and then getting organized as far as reliable pft's that will all get on the same sheet of music and teach generally the same "fitness philisophy". I have some power points I can dig up if you want that help describe cost savings of a solid fitness plan (cost savings to injuries vs cost of training of pft's and equipment or gym memberships).

Forum Member

Yes those slides would be awesome. Also if anyone has info/slides on a "decreasing cardiac deaths" drill it would be a great help. Thank you.

Thread Information