Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!

Forum Member

Are out of state applicants looked upon equally, or is preference given to Texas or Dallas residents?

Forum Member

Default hiring process

How long did the Dallas fire rescue hiring process take? And for the Cpat.... I am a female. How hard is it? How far into the process do you take it? Any good ideas for training?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by centrum33 View Post
    Dallas. We fight fire. And we fight it good. We do things OUR way. We don't make exterior attacks and push the fire in. We make interior attacks and push the fire out.

With that being said, we are extremely aggressive to fighting fires and making rescues. However, with that being said, there are obviously times that making interior attacks are not safe and we do exterior attacks.
    Meh, more aggressive than ye local suburb department fighting 5 or 6 structure fires a shift in a year.

Forum Member

There process is average length it comes down to how aggress they are with there hiring. If you get in the process make sure you stay on top of Dallas calling checking in people miss stuff or they liss people either way. As far as the CPAT goes you have plenty of time its all cardio but you do where a wirghted vest which for a 250lb guy isn't bad but for a 130lb girl it'll make a difference.

Forum Member

yeah, I'm 115 lbs... but strong as hell. Still hoping that if I go to to the mentor training days I'll be able to kick butt. I can lift pretty heavy weights as of now, anyone in the Allen area want to train? I go to LA Fitness

Forum Member

You will not be riding a Rescue for 8 yrs straight. You will be rotating between the Rescue, Engine, and Truck.

We have 'okay' protocols.

http://biotel.ws/TreatmentGuidelines...ALAPPROVED.pdf

If you don't like EMS, don't even consider putting an application in. We do a TON of EMS. Like guedo8 said, ALL the Rescues here are busy. There are times where the system goes into "Overload" and you will be catching a call the second you clear up.

The engines/trucks will mainly run at night for EMS. The Peak Demand Rescues here go out of service at 10PM and 3AM on weekdays and weekends, respectively. We have a 6-MINUTE-RULE where anytime the Rescue is estimated to take longer than 6 minutes to arrive at an EMS call, an engine or truck is automatically assigned as a first responder. The Peak Demand Rescues really help with the call load...so...when they go out of service, the odds of the closest ambulance being within 6 minutes is less...and therefore, the engine/truck will take the EMS run with the engine getting priority access for EMS runs.

You can get an idea of what type of runs we make from this website from our photographer: http://firerescuephotos.com/fa/

Every department has it's good and bad parts. I've truly enjoyed working here in Dallas, and while we have our share of problems, there is no better place to fight fire and get EMS experience...top that with our unrivaled retirement plan...and you've got a real winner!

Forum Member

Submitting my application.

Regardless of the pros and cons of Dallas -- its definitely a good sign to have existing firefighters speak positively of their experiences with the department. Thanks guys for the guidance and advice. Much appreciated!

Forum Member

Why was it that my application materials suddenly disappeared at the last recruitment process that DFR hosted? I had all of the required materials turned in a timely fashion. Absolutely nothing on my record, emt-b, fire cert, and 4 year degree. I made it all the way up to the physical ability test and past with flying colors. I'm not trying to fluff my feathers, just looking for some clarification. Is this a common event that happens?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarama View Post
    Are out of state applicants looked upon equally, or is preference given to Texas or Dallas residents?
    If I remember correctly, the only preferential treatment guys/gals from out of state got was that their time frame after the written test was different than the rest to avoid excessive traveling.

MembersZone Subscriber

has anyone in this fourm that is on with Dallas FD, come straight from the Military? and what recommendations do you have for those applying from the military.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireChick9169 View Post
    How long did the Dallas fire rescue hiring process take? And for the Cpat.... I am a female. How hard is it? How far into the process do you take it? Any good ideas for training?
    I thought the process drug out, something like 6 months from written test to my interview (which I totally botched).

The CPAT is doable. It is tough for those that don't have good lower body strength. The Stair Master for 3.5 minutes with 75 pounds on your shoulder is what you need to mostly prepare for. It is worth it to hit the stadium or gym and do stairs a few times a week for a couple of months. It may not sound tough, but what gets you is that the Stair Master is going 50 steps a second for 30 seconds and the 60 steps a second for 3 minutes, a little slower than you typically go.

If they offer the mentor training program, concentrate on the tower with the weighted vest.

Many folks have provided good information here already. Here are a few points that may need clarification:

1) ALL recruits are required to attend Paramedic school, complete it, and maintain Paramedic certification as a condition of continued employment. In the interim period between fire school and paramedic school, you will be assigned to a district on a particular shift and you will swing to fill vacancies. Before you set foot in a fire station, you will be certified through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection as a Basic Firefighter and the Texas Department of State Health Services and an EMT.

2) There is no "Fire-only" or "EMS-only" career path. If you are assigned to emergency operations, you will ride approximately 50/50 fire apparatus/ambulance. For example, one shift fire, the next EMS, and etc.

3) If you remain a Firefighter or Driver/Engineer, you will likely be required to be a paramedic the duration of your career. Once you promote to Lieutenant, you may downgrade to EMT. Anyone assigned to Emergency Operations from the rank of BC downwards will be required to maintain, at a mimumum, EMT certification.

If you don't like (or cannot tolerate) EMS, please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for employment. Whether you are riding an ambulance for a particular shift making 20+ runs in a 24-hour period, or riding an engine or truck as a firefighter, EMS responses will account for 80% of what you do. This is the same in Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, LA, Houston, or any other big city.

Most FDs in the DFW area provide ALS transport EMS so the arrangement in Dallas is very similar to the suburbs.
    Last edited by dfwfirefighter; 01-19-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

MembersZone Subscriber

sounds like a great time. I hope I get the opportunity to be apart of such a great department.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Does anyone know how much they look into your medical history? Do they make you sign a medical history release? Or do you just have to pass the medical examination that they perform?

Forum Member

Its been asked previously, but I don't believe an answer came about. For those who have gone through the process already, what route of study would be the best for preparing for the knowledge based exams? Any materials you would suggest?

Forum Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for some opinions....I am determined to be a firefighter, but as you know, it is very competitive. I have my EMT-B and 75 college credits, some of which are in fire science. I recently went through the hiring process for Shelby County Tennessee. I did really well in the testing and got down to 100 out of 900, but I wasn't selected.

My question is, do you guys know what my chances are for getting in in Dallas? I had a 1% chance at Shelby; I'm hoping for better odds. Do you know how many openings there are? I will be flying/driving in from out of state three times and trying to get off work for the process, so I just wonder what the odds are.

Also, I also applied for Mesquite, TX, does anyone have insight on them?

Thank you! And to clarify, regionally accepted credits have nothing to do with credits from within the Texas region; it's a bit misleading. It refers to the school's accreditation; some are nationally accredited, most are regionally accredited. So you have to find out which your institution is.

Forum Member

Dallas city you will face alot of people applying

Have you checked lately ::::

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

Forum Member

Did anyone go to the job fair? I wasn't able to go because of school. What all did they talk about?

MembersZone Subscriber

Does Dallas have a residency requirement?

Forum Member

Dallas does not have a residency requirement. I know plenty of people that moved from out of state to accept a position with DFD.

As far as studying goes. Polish up your math and grammar skills. SAT type stuff.

I have heard 50 - 100 will be hired. That's just hearsay though so take it for what it's worth.

Thread Information