Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!

Forum Member

Ready to get this recruitment process started. I am also looking forward to my ride along coming up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Smith View Post
    Scheduled for the test. Saw this on governmentjobs.com March 29th at 9 AM. Bummer, wish it were on a weekend. Oh well, too bad so sad. See you guys there and good luck!!

Anyone flying out want to share a room and maybe a rental care the night before?? send me a message.
    Where are you seeing this march 29th?

Forum Member

It says this next to my app on Gov'tjobs.com.

Forum Member

It says this next to my app on Gov'tjobs.com.
    oh okay ill have to look at that

Forum Member

Scheduled for the test. Saw this on governmentjobs.com March 29th at 9 AM. Bummer, wish it were on a weekend. Oh well, too bad so sad. See you guys there and good luck!!

Anyone flying out want to share a room and maybe a rental care the night before?? send me a message.
    Same here. Flying out from Columbus, Oh the am of the 28th, flying back the 29th afternoon. Priceline was the way to go. I have a free rental car from AAA somewhere..I can't find the coupon anywhere..

MembersZone Subscriber

Currently, we're in such a budget problem that we have recruits who are coming straight out of the fire academy and working on an engine/truck instead of a rescue (ambulance).

I'm not sure if new hires will be required to go to paramedic school. However, more than likely, at some time, they will be sent to paramedic school.

As a Dallas firefighter, I can say without question:

Dallas Fire-Rescue is THE most aggressive interior fire fighting department out here.

Dallas Fire-Rescue as THE best retirement system in the nation. You could easily become a millionaire during your career.

Ha!

Someone has been drinking the dallas kool-aid too much.

Something to think about is that while Dallas has a great retirement, the city is in financial straights. Their retirement isnt protected as well as Houston, due to a state law requiring cities over 1.6 million to have to go through the state senate to change their collective bargaining and retirements.

Not to hate on Dallas though. Just keeping everyone informed during this anti-pension crisis going on throughout the nation
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Just booked my flight and hotel. Hoping that interviews for Austin Cadets don't fall within the same dates. Good luck to all!

Forum Member

I got the email today! Scheduled to take the exam on the 29th of March at 1:00pm.

Forum Member

Congrats! Good luck
    Last edited by zack_kcaz; 02-23-2011 at 12:12 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

there is a bill on the dallas pension plan to either cut the interest gained on the drop or to keep new hires out of the drop due to budget issues.

Saw the paperwork the other day....
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

If the primary reason to work for DFD is the pension don't waste your time applying. Is the pension good? Yes. You have a long time to go before you get to enjoy any part of it. Did we just vote on the benefits our pension pays out? Yes. Did we eliminate the DROP? No. That's one of the reasons we voted was so that we didn't eliminate the DROP for new participants. If you're hired will you ever vote on the benefits of the pension? YES....it isn't uncommon to evaluate the financial stability of a privately run pension plan and make adjustments. The economy has taken a nose dive the past few years and they are simply making some adjustments so that control won't be taken away from our pension office (i.e. the state). Bottom line is when you're on your 18th run at 10pm and you still have 25+ years until you retire that pension isn't going to get you through the night. There are bigger and better things to be thinking about right now if you're in the hiring process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi guys-Maybe I missed this in a previous posts but does anyone know how many Dallas plans to hire from this test? I'm flying in from Boston for it and flight is booked so I will be there regardless if they hire 1 or 100.

Forum Member

I need two people to get four into a hotel room the night of the 28th. Save some cabbage you know. I'm thinking about getting a place as close to the convention center as possible so I don't have to rent a car.

Send me a message. No snorers please and I prefer to be the big spoon.

Forum Member

Curious, but Dallas contacted me last week and needed me to mail in official letters from my current employers stating my job title and salary. Has anyone else had to do this. I sent in my college transcript and am waiting on an invite for the written. Dallas is my first choice dept so I hope to hear something soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airlinepilot2FF View Post
    Curious, but Dallas contacted me last week and needed me to mail in official letters from my current employers stating my job title and salary. Has anyone else had to do this. I sent in my college transcript and am waiting on an invite for the written. Dallas is my first choice dept so I hope to hear something soon.
    As of today the only thing they have sent to me was an email with the Time, Date and Location of the exam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan_01 View Post
    As of today the only thing they have sent to me was an email with the Time, Date and Location of the exam.
    Same here, simply received an email stating I was invited to take the written exam with a date/time/location.

Forum Member

Has anyone here taken the Dallas exam before? I took the Richardson test a few months ago and it was pretty tough. It was my first civil service exam and not really what I was expecting. I was just wondering how the Dallas Exam compared to the other tests people have taken?

Forum Member

The entrance exam for Dallas is nothing like the exam for Richardson. The Richardson & Irving tests are the toughest I have taken. If you brush up on basic mechanical, math, reading / comp, and map detail, you should be fine...at least that was the deal for Dallas two years ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Everything is better in Texas, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    Ha!

Someone has been drinking the dallas kool-aid too much.

Something to think about is that while Dallas has a great retirement, the city is in financial straights. Their retirement isnt protected as well as Houston, due to a state law requiring cities over 1.6 million to have to go through the state senate to change their collective bargaining and retirements.

Not to hate on Dallas though. Just keeping everyone informed during this anti-pension crisis going on throughout the nation
    Lol, Dallas is in financial straights. I'm in California for now, and the big cities out here are laying off more firefighters than departments in other states are hiring. So Dallas, San Antonio, Houston etc aren't hiring as much as in previous years. I would much rather be in Texas and have to make concessions on my retirement than be in California and not have a chance in hell of getting a job. Even CAL Fire won't be rehiring seasonal firefighters from last year, let alone new hires. As the great Davy Crockett said, "I will go to Texas, ya'll can go to hell (he was talking about California)." See ya at the test.

Forum Member

I am ready to get this hiring process going.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerDanger14 View Post
    Same here, simply received an email stating I was invited to take the written exam with a date/time/location.
    Thanks guys for your responses.

Forum Member

I will be taking this exam as well.
    I will be also taking Mesquite's exam.

Good luck to all.
    Any more helpful info on the written exam would be great!
    What books, study materials to study, etc.

Forum Member

Take this with a grain of salt:

Dallas had to make some pretty deep budget cuts during this fiscal year (around the 10% mark). Bear in mind that approximately 90% of a career FD's budget is for payroll and benefits.

The fire chief has been instructed to find an additional 10% and cut it. With that in mind, people are likely next.

If you in Dallas' hiring process, make sure you have a Plan "B" lined up in case of layoffs.

All of this is speculation so take it for what it's worth.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Default Seriously HR????

So in the last 2 years I have owned my own business, assisted my family in opening a Thrift store ,starting from the ground up and now I manage a physicians office. I was asked by HR to send them letters verifying my employement. So I sent them 3 letters with my employment dates on seperate letter heads. The letter heads were all printed off my computer and were signed by myself, my mother and the Dr. I work for. They were all on seperate appropriate letterheads. HR called me this morning to tell me I was a liar and would no longer be involved in the the hiring process. They informed me they did not believe that my employment history was correct.

I asked what the problem was with being a business owner, which I believe shows self motivation. He told me it wasn't ok to sign a letter to verify my OWN work history. I asked what was wrong with helping my family open a thrift store, I believe it show a sense of family pride. He said it was "weird" that I would work for my mother. As for the Dr. He said he said he just didn't me it was a real letter head. With all of that said I asked why my integrity was being brought into question. I told him I filled in the dates on all of the letters to verify my work history. They were all signed by my supervisors. He asked me if there was any way that a background investigator would believe my story if I were to make it to that part of the process. I told him 100% YES.

Now I'm not upset that I can't test with Dallas, I'm just upset some HR person has the balls to call me a liar about who or what I have done in my life. I'm proud to have taken a chance to open and run my own business and also work for my family and this ballsac of a person questions me?! Thanks for letting me rant, and good luck to all of you in the process.

I also sent an email to his supervisor, which I know will never be read. I know there are thousands of applicants and its competitive and they look for any reason to drop applicants. I'm just ****ed my integrity got questioned.

Thanks for the letting me Rant

MembersZone Subscriber

5.5 years experience as professional firefighter medic. Numerous certs and training. Close to 100 hrs in college transcripts.

"You do not meet the qualifications of DFD". You have got to be kidding me

Thread Information