Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!

Forum Member

How could you question Dallas gov, there is no corruption in Dallas gov!!!

So people that run their own lawn business need not apply!!!!

Sad would check you out, but sounds like you are legit, and should be fairly easy to prove

Forum Member

Ya Well that's DFD for ya, You must be a white boy that made something of yourself. DFD only takes the less qualified or minority! Ive been here for seven years and that's the way they roll. So much for getting rid of racism! I would call them until they can give you a good reason why they said no and then challenged the answer. Just my two cents.

Forum Member

Greetings Sir,

Per our conversation, the references you provided were not approved. As you indicated, all of these letters were written and printed by you. One you signed, you indicated letter 2 was signed by the physician of the dr. office, and letter 3 was signed by your mother (owner of family business).

This was deemed unacceptable by our management staff and further appeals should be directed to....

Thats their reason....all of which I told him was true. I did print them all and I had my proper supervisors from my last 3 jobs sign them as Dallas HR requested. Anyways, I'm over it now, Sorry to hijack the thread. Good luck to all testing.
    Last edited by kookoos1; 03-07-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: rewrite

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post
    Ya Well that's DFD for ya, You must be a white boy that made something of yourself. DFD only takes the less qualified or minority! Ive been here for seven years and that's the way they roll. So much for getting rid of racism! I would call them until they can give you a good reason why they said no and then challenged the answer. Just my two cents.
    Yes blame Obama for taking away all the white mans jobs. lord knows all minorities are dumb and are given everything

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by big_leauges View Post
    5.5 years experience as professional firefighter medic. Numerous certs and training. Close to 100 hrs in college transcripts.

"You do not meet the qualifications of DFD". You have got to be kidding me
    Oh wow. I would definitely see what you could do to try and get back in the app pool

MembersZone Subscriber

I was told my app did not have "original transcripts". I said no problem, I'll bring them with me. You HAVE the copies. Nope, apparently this is part of their elimination process. I give up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kookoos1 View Post
    This was deemed unacceptable by our management staff and further appeals should be directed to...
    First of all, you've been given the key to unlock the door. Use it. I've heard that Dallas reacts immediately to three things: litigation, open records requests, and complaints sent directly to city council people and the city managers. I'd suggest you use the very processes they have in place if you feel you have been "wronged" or discriminated against.

Second, it appears you have lazy recruiters.

Third, Dallas' hiring process is notorious for having many hoops to jump through. If you want to be a firefighter there, play the game. You have nothing to lose. Think about this: If they can get you to weed yourself out of the process, then they have minimized their investment on you.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

I was told my app did not have "original transcripts". I said no problem, I'll bring them with me. You HAVE the copies. Nope, apparently this is part of their elimination process. I give up
    If you didn't want the job, perhaps it is best you did give up.

The smart ***** side of me would send them original transcripts every week until they called and said, "you're good... please don't send anymore".
    DFW

Forum Member

5.5 years experience as professional firefighter medic. Numerous certs and training. Close to 100 hrs in college transcripts.

"You do not meet the qualifications of DFD". You have got to be kidding me
    Was your application to test not approved?
    DFW

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    How could you question Dallas gov, there is no corruption in Dallas gov!!!
    Big city = bureaucracy

'Nuff said.
    DFW

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    First of all, you've been given the key to unlock the door. Use it. I've heard that Dallas reacts immediately to three things: litigation, open records requests, and complaints sent directly to city council people and the city managers. I'd suggest you use the very processes they have in place if you feel you have been "wronged" or discriminated against.

Second, it appears you have lazy recruiters.

Third, Dallas' hiring process is notorious for having many hoops to jump through. If you want to be a firefighter there, play the game. You have nothing to lose. Think about this: If they can get you to weed yourself out of the process, then they have minimized their investment on you.
    I did send an email to the HR supervisor....... I got a call from my from my physician and he said they called to verify I what I had told them. Looks like they are following up.

Forum Member

Is anyone gonna attend the CPAT pratice sessions at the training center?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irishguy1022 View Post
    Is anyone gonna attend the CPAT pratice sessions at the training center?
    Where did you hear about this? What date is it?

Forum Member

I took the test in 2009. Passed it. I made it to the CPAT but had some anxiety issues and had to drop out. The written exam was pretty easy. Overlearning is the key. I studied the hell out of algebra so it was no problem. The Maps were the most frustrating for me but mostly because they were hand drawn. If you don't know how to spell and are terrible at grammar: you need to study that stuff. The ACCUPLACER test is actually harder than the written test and that is probably where a large number of drops occur. Study reading comp, get on top of your critical reasoning, and algebra and you should have no problems. For CPAT, get yourself a weight vest. I ran 1/2 mile then ran six flights of stairs 10 times then ran 1/2 mile home without the vest three times a week. Two times a week I would don the weight vest and lift weights, then I would walk up and down stairs for 10 minutes with the vest on, oh and I would carry two 25 lbs dumbbells while doing it. However, running is the key. RUN! Run like a madperson.
    Unfortunately I'm too old now to test. Bummer. I did a ton of research before applying. I would have gone to Houston but I don't like the town. Houston is aggressive, very aggressive, interior firefighting. Dallas is the same way but not as much as Houston. Dalls is a nicer climate for me. Dallas is a 1st rate Dept for sure. Austin (where I'm from) is a very defensive dept. I've watched those guys wait around for fire to shoot out a roof before they attacked from the outside; they do not fight fires from the inside. I wasn't impressed.
    Good luck to all of you.

Forum Member

Word on the street is Dallas Fire is doing another hiring freeze, anybody hear about this or know if it is just talk?

Forum Member

That's awesome, just bought my ticket. Haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OchmanM7 View Post
    Word on the street is Dallas Fire is doing another hiring freeze, anybody hear about this or know if it is just talk?
    It's rumored to be more than just a hiring freeze.
    DFW

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BubVeb View Post
    I would have gone to Houston but I don't like the town. Houston is aggressive, very aggressive, interior firefighting. Dallas is the same way but not as much as Houston. Dalls is a nicer climate for me. Dallas is a 1st rate Dept for sure. Austin (where I'm from) is a very defensive dept. I've watched those guys wait around for fire to shoot out a roof before they attacked from the outside; they do not fight fires from the inside.
    Houston, Austin, and Dallas are all good departments. They also, like any other fire department, have their individual problems and issues. Every department has it's "superstar" fire stations with good, aggressive firefighters and they have their retirement homes full of whiny people who get upset if there is dirt on the inside of the rear dual tire on the driver's side of the apparatus.

The big issue right now affecting ALL departments is the economy and it's impact on their budgets.

You will likely see a lot of changes made that are not necessarily good but are made out of necessity to keep afloat.
    DFW

Forum Member

Houston, Austin, and Dallas are all good departments. They also, like any other fire department, have their individual problems and issues. Every department has it's "superstar" fire stations with good, aggressive firefighters and they have their retirement homes full of whiny people who get upset if there is dirt on the inside of the rear dual tire on the driver's side of the apparatus.

The big issue right now affecting ALL departments is the economy and it's impact on their budgets.

You will likely see a lot of changes made that are not necessarily good but are made out of necessity to keep afloat.
    Exactly. I don't want to minimize what Austin does, at all. That's counter-productive. It is a good department. At the time I was really interested in getting into a very aggressive dept. Now that I have the mental stuff sorted . . . I know I'd make a stellar firefighter. Too old. That's life. I was impressed by the work load and the professionalism of DFD. Very much. Plus I think the rigs are dandy looking. They're the same rigs that Chicago uses and Chicago's trucks and engines are absolutely gorgeous only black and red. Ahh, cursed age limits. You want the job you probably ought to make yourself stick out like a busted up thumb: in a good way.

Forum Member

It's rumored to be more than just a hiring freeze.
    What exactly are we talking about? Lay offs?

Forum Member

What exactly are we talking about? Lay offs?
    It depends on what the city manager and council agree to. Supposedly, 150 positions have been "offered up". Approximately half of those are vacant and will not be filled until later. The other half will involve the folks in the academy right now.

Daily fire company closures have been discussed as well.

All is speculation until it is written down.
    DFW

Forum Member

It depends on what the city manager and council agree to. Supposedly, 150 positions have been "offered up". Approximately half of those are vacant and will not be filled until later. The other half will involve the folks in the academy right now.

Daily fire company closures have been discussed as well.

All is speculation until it is written down.
    Great. Well who wants to go to Billy Bobs Texas?

Forum Member

Dallas Fire has never had layoffs(even during the depression) and I can't see it happening now.

If I were making an educated guess I'd say there will be 50-100 spots for 2000-3000 people testing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmedic08 View Post
    Dallas Fire has never had layoffs(even during the depression) and I can't see it happening now.

If I were making an educated guess I'd say there will be 50-100 spots for 2000-3000 people testing.
    Well I hope so... everybody ready for the test on the 26th??

Forum Member

Well I hope so... everybody ready for the test on the 26th??
    Mines on the 29th.

Thread Information