Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!

  1. #101
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    How could you question Dallas gov, there is no corruption in Dallas gov!!!

    So people that run their own lawn business need not apply!!!!

    Sad would check you out, but sounds like you are legit, and should be fairly easy to prove

  2. #102
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Ya Well that's DFD for ya, You must be a white boy that made something of yourself. DFD only takes the less qualified or minority! Ive been here for seven years and that's the way they roll. So much for getting rid of racism! I would call them until they can give you a good reason why they said no and then challenged the answer. Just my two cents.

  3. #103
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Greetings Sir,



    Per our conversation, the references you provided were not approved. As you indicated, all of these letters were written and printed by you. One you signed, you indicated letter 2 was signed by the physician of the dr. office, and letter 3 was signed by your mother (owner of family business).



    This was deemed unacceptable by our management staff and further appeals should be directed to....


    Thats their reason....all of which I told him was true. I did print them all and I had my proper supervisors from my last 3 jobs sign them as Dallas HR requested. Anyways, I'm over it now, Sorry to hijack the thread. Good luck to all testing.
    Last edited by kookoos1; 03-07-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: rewrite

  4. #104
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post
    Ya Well that's DFD for ya, You must be a white boy that made something of yourself. DFD only takes the less qualified or minority! Ive been here for seven years and that's the way they roll. So much for getting rid of racism! I would call them until they can give you a good reason why they said no and then challenged the answer. Just my two cents.
    Yes blame Obama for taking away all the white mans jobs. lord knows all minorities are dumb and are given everything

  5. #105
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_leauges View Post
    5.5 years experience as professional firefighter medic. Numerous certs and training. Close to 100 hrs in college transcripts.

    "You do not meet the qualifications of DFD". You have got to be kidding me
    Oh wow. I would definitely see what you could do to try and get back in the app pool

  6. #106
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I was told my app did not have "original transcripts". I said no problem, I'll bring them with me. You HAVE the copies. Nope, apparently this is part of their elimination process. I give up

  7. #107
    Forum Member
    dfwfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kookoos1 View Post
    This was deemed unacceptable by our management staff and further appeals should be directed to...
    First of all, you've been given the key to unlock the door. Use it. I've heard that Dallas reacts immediately to three things: litigation, open records requests, and complaints sent directly to city council people and the city managers. I'd suggest you use the very processes they have in place if you feel you have been "wronged" or discriminated against.

    Second, it appears you have lazy recruiters.

    Third, Dallas' hiring process is notorious for having many hoops to jump through. If you want to be a firefighter there, play the game. You have nothing to lose. Think about this: If they can get you to weed yourself out of the process, then they have minimized their investment on you.
    DFW



    "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

  8. #108
    Forum Member
    dfwfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_leauges View Post
    I was told my app did not have "original transcripts". I said no problem, I'll bring them with me. You HAVE the copies. Nope, apparently this is part of their elimination process. I give up
    If you didn't want the job, perhaps it is best you did give up.

    The smart ***** side of me would send them original transcripts every week until they called and said, "you're good... please don't send anymore".
    DFW



    "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

  9. #109
    Forum Member
    dfwfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_leauges View Post
    5.5 years experience as professional firefighter medic. Numerous certs and training. Close to 100 hrs in college transcripts.

    "You do not meet the qualifications of DFD". You have got to be kidding me
    Was your application to test not approved?
    DFW



    "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

  10. #110
    Forum Member
    dfwfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    How could you question Dallas gov, there is no corruption in Dallas gov!!!
    Big city = bureaucracy

    'Nuff said.
    DFW



    "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

  11. #111
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    First of all, you've been given the key to unlock the door. Use it. I've heard that Dallas reacts immediately to three things: litigation, open records requests, and complaints sent directly to city council people and the city managers. I'd suggest you use the very processes they have in place if you feel you have been "wronged" or discriminated against.

    Second, it appears you have lazy recruiters.

    Third, Dallas' hiring process is notorious for having many hoops to jump through. If you want to be a firefighter there, play the game. You have nothing to lose. Think about this: If they can get you to weed yourself out of the process, then they have minimized their investment on you.
    I did send an email to the HR supervisor....... I got a call from my from my physician and he said they called to verify I what I had told them. Looks like they are following up.

  12. #112
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Is anyone gonna attend the CPAT pratice sessions at the training center?

  13. #113
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy1022 View Post
    Is anyone gonna attend the CPAT pratice sessions at the training center?
    Where did you hear about this? What date is it?

  14. #114
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I took the test in 2009. Passed it. I made it to the CPAT but had some anxiety issues and had to drop out. The written exam was pretty easy. Overlearning is the key. I studied the hell out of algebra so it was no problem. The Maps were the most frustrating for me but mostly because they were hand drawn. If you don't know how to spell and are terrible at grammar: you need to study that stuff. The ACCUPLACER test is actually harder than the written test and that is probably where a large number of drops occur. Study reading comp, get on top of your critical reasoning, and algebra and you should have no problems. For CPAT, get yourself a weight vest. I ran 1/2 mile then ran six flights of stairs 10 times then ran 1/2 mile home without the vest three times a week. Two times a week I would don the weight vest and lift weights, then I would walk up and down stairs for 10 minutes with the vest on, oh and I would carry two 25 lbs dumbbells while doing it. However, running is the key. RUN! Run like a madperson.
    Unfortunately I'm too old now to test. Bummer. I did a ton of research before applying. I would have gone to Houston but I don't like the town. Houston is aggressive, very aggressive, interior firefighting. Dallas is the same way but not as much as Houston. Dalls is a nicer climate for me. Dallas is a 1st rate Dept for sure. Austin (where I'm from) is a very defensive dept. I've watched those guys wait around for fire to shoot out a roof before they attacked from the outside; they do not fight fires from the inside. I wasn't impressed.
    Good luck to all of you.

  15. #115
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Word on the street is Dallas Fire is doing another hiring freeze, anybody hear about this or know if it is just talk?

  16. #116
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default

    That's awesome, just bought my ticket. Haha

  17. #117
    Forum Member
    dfwfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OchmanM7 View Post
    Word on the street is Dallas Fire is doing another hiring freeze, anybody hear about this or know if it is just talk?
    It's rumored to be more than just a hiring freeze.
    DFW



    "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

  18. #118
    Forum Member
    dfwfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BubVeb View Post
    I would have gone to Houston but I don't like the town. Houston is aggressive, very aggressive, interior firefighting. Dallas is the same way but not as much as Houston. Dalls is a nicer climate for me. Dallas is a 1st rate Dept for sure. Austin (where I'm from) is a very defensive dept. I've watched those guys wait around for fire to shoot out a roof before they attacked from the outside; they do not fight fires from the inside.
    Houston, Austin, and Dallas are all good departments. They also, like any other fire department, have their individual problems and issues. Every department has it's "superstar" fire stations with good, aggressive firefighters and they have their retirement homes full of whiny people who get upset if there is dirt on the inside of the rear dual tire on the driver's side of the apparatus.

    The big issue right now affecting ALL departments is the economy and it's impact on their budgets.

    You will likely see a lot of changes made that are not necessarily good but are made out of necessity to keep afloat.
    DFW



    "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

  19. #119
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    Houston, Austin, and Dallas are all good departments. They also, like any other fire department, have their individual problems and issues. Every department has it's "superstar" fire stations with good, aggressive firefighters and they have their retirement homes full of whiny people who get upset if there is dirt on the inside of the rear dual tire on the driver's side of the apparatus.

    The big issue right now affecting ALL departments is the economy and it's impact on their budgets.

    You will likely see a lot of changes made that are not necessarily good but are made out of necessity to keep afloat.
    Exactly. I don't want to minimize what Austin does, at all. That's counter-productive. It is a good department. At the time I was really interested in getting into a very aggressive dept. Now that I have the mental stuff sorted . . . I know I'd make a stellar firefighter. Too old. That's life. I was impressed by the work load and the professionalism of DFD. Very much. Plus I think the rigs are dandy looking. They're the same rigs that Chicago uses and Chicago's trucks and engines are absolutely gorgeous only black and red. Ahh, cursed age limits. You want the job you probably ought to make yourself stick out like a busted up thumb: in a good way.

  20. #120
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    It's rumored to be more than just a hiring freeze.
    What exactly are we talking about? Lay offs?

  21. #121
    Forum Member
    dfwfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OchmanM7 View Post
    What exactly are we talking about? Lay offs?
    It depends on what the city manager and council agree to. Supposedly, 150 positions have been "offered up". Approximately half of those are vacant and will not be filled until later. The other half will involve the folks in the academy right now.

    Daily fire company closures have been discussed as well.

    All is speculation until it is written down.
    DFW



    "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

  22. #122
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    It depends on what the city manager and council agree to. Supposedly, 150 positions have been "offered up". Approximately half of those are vacant and will not be filled until later. The other half will involve the folks in the academy right now.

    Daily fire company closures have been discussed as well.

    All is speculation until it is written down.
    Great. Well who wants to go to Billy Bobs Texas?

  23. #123
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Dallas Fire has never had layoffs(even during the depression) and I can't see it happening now.


    If I were making an educated guess I'd say there will be 50-100 spots for 2000-3000 people testing.

  24. #124
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmedic08 View Post
    Dallas Fire has never had layoffs(even during the depression) and I can't see it happening now.


    If I were making an educated guess I'd say there will be 50-100 spots for 2000-3000 people testing.
    Well I hope so... everybody ready for the test on the 26th??

  25. #125
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OchmanM7 View Post
    Well I hope so... everybody ready for the test on the 26th??
    Mines on the 29th.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-20-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 07:20 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 12-05-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 01:28 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 12-04-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 08:46 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 07-27-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 07:46 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 07-24-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 09:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register